How to choose the best carrier oils for skin care can be a daunting task. There’s simply so many options to choose from, and it often depends on the specific skin care symptom you’d like to address.
The fact is, essential oils are highly effective for maintaining your skin, and they’re a 100% natural path to follow. Keep in mind these are not all required to be applied neat (or undiluted) when using them to treat your skin. Which brings us to our next point.
As we noted, not all essential oils are applied neat. Remember, oils can have a high potency, so some require what is called a carrier oil, which dilutes the product. The axiom that “more is better,” is not always the case particularly when it comes to therapeutic grade essential oils — hence, the need for a carrier oil. Here’s a few key points to consider:
- Oils can be very potent
- Just a mere 2 to 3 drops can be effective
- Some carrier oils can include grapeseed, sweet almond, and fractionated coconut oil
- Products requiring a carrier oil can be mixed in a roller bottle for convenient application
- Some oils are very expensive, using a carrier oil can help make them last longer.
An example of why you may need a carrier oil is when you are applying to your skin. The reason is that potent, highly concentrated essential oils may cause you some skin irritation.
Natural Oils For Skin Care
Feel free to experiment with different types of these natural oils to maximize your efforts. So without further ado, here’s a list of carrier oils organized by your skin type:
Skin that is Prone to Acne:
Combination Essential Oils:
- Apricot Kernel
- Sweet Almond
Solutions for Sensitive Skin:
- Apricot Kernel
For Dry and Mature Skin:
- Rosehip Seed
- Sweet Almond
If You Suffer From Damaged Skin:
- Rosehip Seed
Advantages of Specific Carrier Oils
Now let’s dig in to a more in-depth look at some of these all natural skin care products.
Fractionated Coconut Oil
This highly effective product is a carrier with virtually an infinite shelf life — in a crystal clear, translucent form. So what are its advantages?
- It is without odor or color, so it won’t stain and can be easily washed out of your clothes.
- It is a great natural solution for skin, a lubricator that will not irritate.
- It will make your skin more smooth without producing a greasy feeling.
- It has the capabilities to be mixed with other carriers to boost the shelf life.
This product is well-known for its healthy application to food, and it’s now being used as a lotion base, hygiene cream, massage oil, and yes, even lip balm.
- It’s regenerative properties provide an excellent form of skin moisturization.
- It will not clog your pore, nor disturb any issues of acne.
- While not definitive, It has been known to tone the skin and prevent wrinkles.
- It can be used as a lubricant for shaving and massaging.
This all organic skin care product (it, of course, can be used for other applications) originates from northwestern Mexico and the southwestern part of the United States. To name a few benefits:
- Superior shelf life when combined with other carrier oils.
- Effective at nourishing the skin.
- Absorbs well with your skin without that yucky greasy feeling.
- Protects skin that is highly sensitive.
Acne and Skin Irritation With Carrier Oils
You can have a skin breakout for a number of reasons, including those relating to hormones. You may experience hormonal fluctuations that preempt a breakout, and it’s possible that the underlying culprit is an undiagnosed autoimmune disorder (although we wouldn’t want to jump to any conclusions too quickly). Some other possible reasons?
- Genetics: Some are prone to acne breakouts.
- Diet: An acne breakout on the skin can be a result of a food allergy.
- Infectious: Occasionally, bacteria will seep into the pores of your skin, which can interrupt normal skin function.
- Psychology: Stress can be a major cause of acne.
To mitigate skin irritation or acne breakouts there are some guidelines you should follow. First, determine your skin type. Then be sure that you are using the right type of oil. Remember, potent undiluted essential oils can cause skin irritation. So to be safe, simply dilute with a carrier oil.
It is recommended that you treat natural, holistic medicine similar to how you treat other medicines you may be taking or have taken in the past. There’s no reason to be afraid of using these organic methods but you still want to follow best practices.
Just remember, when it comes to working with these wonderful healthful oils, less is often more.