Anyone who has kids knows that they are certainly not immune to sickness. Indeed, our blessed little ones seem to be magnets for illness. Everything from Dayquil to Nyquil to Vicks VapoRub, when your child is in pain it’s easy to try anything and everything to help them feel better. And these are medicinal solutions that certainly have their place.
In addition, you might consider safe essential oil remedies for children that work as 100% natural, homeopathic alternatives.
To kick it off, we have to put out our mandatory disclosure: We’re not doctors, we’re not FDA scientists, so the “advice” we’re offering in this article reflects what we have found effective in our household. Millions of people have found these remedies to be safe, but if your child has skin irritation or you have any reservations whatsoever, always consult your physician first.
These are just a few common issues your little ones might stumble across:
- Cough, sore throat, runny nose, and sinus & chest congestion
- Gas, constipation, and diarrhea
- Restlessness and general sleep issues
- Inattention and lack of focus and concentration
- Acne and other skin conditions
Now, we are not qualified to claim these natural remedies as “treatment” methods. We have just found them effective in our household.
Our favorite essential oil remedies for children
Aromatherapy is a trending home remedy solution that millions of people are embracing all around the world. Distilled through plant compounds, essential oils are 100% organic products that can provide a range of therapeutic brands (contingent on the fact that you are using the right brand, of course).
Before we get into their specific uses – as natural remedies for children – we’ll give you a brief overview of these life changing products. Essential oils are comprised of a liquid that is distilled from various compounds of plants. Despite their aromatic benefits, they are not synonymous with perfumes or other fragrances, as they are not manufactured artificially.
Furthermore, traditional fragrances do not offer the countless therapeutic benefits that essential oils have to offer. Why sometimes they are lumped into the same category is, quite frankly, beyond us. Indeed,
- They’ve been used for centuries by a variety of cultures, with oils like myrrh and frankincense being applied as far back as biblical times.
- The distillation process is carried out naturally without the use of fillers or artificial additives.
- Depending on what they’re being used for, they are oftentimes more affordable than other applications.
- They offer a wide range of therapeutic benefits.
That being said, note that all essential oil brands are not created equal. We’ll delve further into this shortly, but know that the quality of the brand determines the overall efficacy of the product.
So without further ado, here are our top 5 homeopathic essential oil remedies for kids.
Sidebar: When applying topically, if you or your child have sensitive skin it is recommended to mix with a carrier oil (like Fractionated Coconut Oil). Also, certain oils (like peppermint and eucalyptus, for instance) should not be used on infants or small children – so please use with caution.
1. Cough, sore throat, and chest congestion
When it comes to helping with minor symptoms, you have a plethora of options. It all depends on what you are looking to address. Here are just a few (of many others) that we use:
Another option is using an essential oil blend, like our Respiratory Blend. While single oils can be quite effective, blends can pack a powerful added punch. This blend offers minor respiratory benefits that assist in breathing when congestion and drainage have taken over. It contains peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, lemon, ravensara, cardamom, and laurel leaf.
Note: For preventative measures, consider our Protective Blend.
2. Gas, constipation, diarrhea, and general stomach issues
Tums, Pepto Bismol, Alka Seltzer, you know the drill. Peppermint is one of the oldest and most regarded oils for making minor improvements in the digestive system. The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine has cited several studies indicating that peppermint oil capsules can assist in repairing symptoms of gas, bloating, occasional abdominal pain, and the common upset stomach.
If you’re looking to dig a little deeper with an essential oil blend, our favorite is our Digestive Blend. This is a proprietary formula that provides a number of benefits for digestive health. With thorough research to back it up, it can help restore balance in the digestive system. In addition to peppermint this popular blend includes the following oils:
- Ginger: Commonly used for minor symptoms of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Tarragon: Can ease gas and nervous digestion.
- Coriander: Can help to relieve minor symptoms of gas, diarrhea, and indigestion.
- Fennel: Cleanses toxins while bolstering digestive support.
- Caraway: Works to relieve minor symptoms of diarrhea, indigestion, and digestive tract spasms.
- Anise: Helps to calm and strengthen the digestive system.
Again, please note that peppermint and the Respiratory blend should not be used on infants or very young children.
3. Sleep problems and restlessness
Sleep problems can stem from a number of sources. And lack of sleep can only enhance such symptoms as well as be damaging to overall health.
Are the things you’re putting in their bodies healthy for your kids? Before dipping into the typical routine, you might consider a natural sleep alternative like essential oils. Here are a few single oils to consider:
As far as essential oil blends, the Calming blend is one that we use to promote relaxation before bedtime. With calming properties it comprises pure therapeutic grade essential oils such as sandalwood, vanilla bean, lavender, ylang ylang, marjoram, and roman chamomile.
4. Inattention and lack of concentration and focus
As the “non-physicians” that we are, we’re not going to say that essential oils will cure ADD, ADHD or any other attention disorder. However, we’ve – along with thousands of others all around the world – have found these natural products as effective solutions for improving focus and concentration. And we all know, whether it’s studying in school or trying to get through that dreadful work day, a lack of focus can be a grave burden.
First, here are a couple single oils to use:
- Lavender and Frankincense: If inattention is stemming from occasional stress, the relaxing benefits of lavender and frankincense can help.
- Lemon and Lime: With soothing citrus properties, lemon and lime can induce positive emotions.
- Roman chamomile: Promotes mental balance with benefits of esters. A little sidebar fun fact: Many centuries ago, the Roman soldiers used chamomile before war to gain courage.
As we’ve previously discussed, essential oil blends are a great way to experience more targeted results. The Focus Blend, for example, is a natural attention blend that assists in improving focus and concentration with the following ingredients: Lime, frankincense, roman chamomile, amyris, ylang ylang, patchouli, and sandalwood.
5. Acne and miscellaneous skin problems
There are a number of culprits that can contribute to acne and general skin issues – everything from genetics to diet to infections and anxiety. While most skin issues won’t pose any serious health problems, they can have a significant impact on self esteem – particularly for school-aged children. Skin issues like acne, for instance, can leave a student insecure and anxious when around his or her peers.
You might consider one, two, or several of the following oils:
Keep in mind that everyone’s skin reacts differently, so you may have to try different oils (or combination oils) before you find the best solution. Personally, we’ve found a lot of success with both lavender and frankincense.
Keep it pure with only the best
With all of these natural remedies, they are often best to supplement with a change in daily habits:
- Exercise, eat healthy, and maintain a regular sleep cycle to prevent the onset of illness.
- Adjust diet to prevent stomach issues.
- Find ways to curb symptoms of anxiety to improve sleep.
- Get adequate sleep to improve focus and mental clarity.
- Wash your face and body often to prevent acne and other skin issues.