You’re squinting your eyes, wincing in pain, and all you want to do is curl up into bed…
From time to time, everyone suffers from a headache. And whether it’s a migraine or just some minor head pain, it can put a major damper on your day.
The natural (or not-so-natural) reaction is to pop a few Tylenol. But if you’re looking for a natural alternative, essential oils present a much healthier solution.
In this article, you’ll learn how to use Young Living peppermint (and other oils) to eliminate that pain in your brain.
It is widely received that peppermint is the number-one essential oil for head pain. And for good reason. Peppermint provides a cooling effect on the skin, while stimulating the flow of blood in the forehead.
And the numbers back it up. According to one study, 40 patients were observed in a double-blind, placebo-controlled environment. Peppermint essential oil was applied to the skin 15 minutes and a half hour after a participant got a headache.
The verdict was overwhelming: Without any negative side effects (like many traditional treatments impose), peppermint was an effective, well-tolerated alternative to typical headache relief treatments.
In addition to Peppermint, here are a few other Young Living oils that have documented success:
- Lavender: Rich with curative properties, lavender relaxes the body and relieves tension, which is a common culprit of headaches. Lavender can impact the limbic system and is thought to relieve central nervous system depression. This makes it effective for treating headaches that are prompted by stress- and mood-related factors.
- Eucalyptus: Acting as an expectorant, eucalyptus cleans out toxins and harmful micro-organisms from the body. This oil is particularly effective when treating head pain that stems from sinus issues, as it helps open up the airways and ease sinus pressure.
- Rosemary: Used for centuries in folk medicine, rosemary has stimulating, anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve headaches and improve circulation. According to a 2013 study, Rosemary was particularly effective in treating withdrawal symptoms – including minor to severe head pain – in patients with a history of opiate abuse.
To apply essential oils for headache and migraine relief, here are a few options:
- Mix two drops with a carrier oil and massage on your temples, back of neck, and chest
- Diffuse four drops in your living room, office space, etc.
- Use diffuser jewelry to diffuse on the go (see our bracelets & necklaces here).
Blends & Applications For Headache Relief
Peppermint in itself, is an excellent natural remedy for head pain. But using the right combination of oils (and applications) can increase the effect.
Use these “recipes” to ease your pain:
Body massages can decrease tension that emanates throughout the body, often resulting in headaches or migraines. The following recipe offers a relaxing solution for pain caused by tension.
- Combine a couple teaspoons of your chosen carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, etc.) with two drops each of lavender and peppermint.
- Stir the oils together in a bowl until the solution is well mixed.
- Massage onto the skin, particularly in areas where there is tension. Focus on areas such as the upper back, neck, and shoulders.
2. Steam session
One of the next best things to a massage is direct inhalation of essential oils. Inhaling the steam of oils can help treat a range of head pain symptoms. Create your own steam session with this recipe:
- Warm a pot of water on the stove until the water begins to steam, and then let sit shortly before testing the temperature.
- Add two drops each of peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, and rosemary.
- Lean over the water pot and inhale deeply for several minutes.
Taking an essential oil bath is a great way to curb anxiety and ease all sorts of pains and aches. It is one of the most enjoyable home remedies for reducing headaches that are caused from stress. To prepare your bath, follow these simple instructions:
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and lavender to a warm bath.
- Stir in some natural soap mixture and soak in the tub for at least ten minutes.
Want a great way to diffuse your Young Living oils? Check out our lava stone bracelets and necklaces – as well as a range of other “zen” products!