Even though the number of people who use essential oils is overwhelmingly women, aromatherapy is, indeed, great for men as well. Sure, catching the scent of lavender or patchouli might cause a man to belt out, “No, I can’t use those!” But not only do these particular oils offer profound health benefits, there are a number of aromatherapy oils that contain a more “masculine” scent.
Before outlining our favorite essential oil blends for men, learn about the top single essential oils for men below.
5 Best Essential Oils For Men
Now, just because something has a flowery scent doesn’t mean the typical man can’t “wear” it. After all, aromatherapy isn’t just about the smell. Essential oils, in particular, offer an abundance of therapeutic benefits.
Lavender, for instance, can help with things like pain, anxiety, and depression. Orange and patchouli can improve your mood with their uplifting properties. And on and on. Still, some men might be hesitant to apply these products before heading into work.
Here are a few essential oils that fall under the “masculine” category:
- Black pepper: Harboring a spicy, woody, and sporty scent, black pepper is a favorite aroma for men. In addition to being a great after-exercise scent, it can help with digestion, muscle cramps, and addiction cravings.
- Sandalwood: A classic in men’s colognes and blends, sandalwood has a sweet and woody aroma that is a favorite in many fragrance products (aftershave, soap, etc.). Therapeutic benefits include anti-inflammatory, anti-septic, and enhanced mental clarity.
- Vetiver: Used for centuries in fragrant fabrics, vetiver harbors a husky and earthy scent. It’s a relaxing oil that can be used to relieve stress and treat insomnia.
- Frankincense: Known as one of the “Bible oils” (along with Myrrh), frankincense is a luxury oil that contains an earthy scent. It is commonly used for stress and mood, but can also be used for skin and muscle pain.
- Cypress: With a woody, herbaceous scent, cypress is commonly used by massage therapists to soothe tense muscles and promote circulation. Other benefits include healthy respiratory function and improved blood flow.
Masculine Aromatherapy Blend Recipes
1. Natural Beard Oil
Over the years, facial hair has become increasingly popular. Campaigns like Decembeard and Movember underscore the phenomenon’s popularity. And it’s fully acceptable in most of today’s professional settings. Of course, if you’re going to grow out a long beard, it’s typically encouraged to maintain proper hygiene.
- TAME YOUR BEARD: Even the burliest of beards can be controlled with our organic beard oil...
This natural beard oil recipe keeps your skin from drying out while maintaining healthy and attractive facial hair:
- ½ oz of jojoba oil
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 3 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- Small bottle with a cap or eyedropper
- Add the jojoba oil to the bottle
- Add in the coconut oil
- Add in the sandalwood and cedarwood oil
- Cover the bottle with a cap and shake well
- Use your eyedropper or hands to apply a few drops to your beard
2. Essential Oil Cologne
While you can craft your own blends using your own preference of oils, the natural cologne described recipe below provides a woody scent that’s great for any occasion. For your reference, here are some essential oils for men that work well in natural colognes:
- Herbaceous: Basil lavender, peppermint, and rosemary
- Spice: Black pepper, cinnamon leaf, and anise
- Citrus: Lime, orange, bergamot, and grapefruit
- Woodsy: Cedarwood, juniper berry, pine, and cypress, fir needle, and pine needle
And here’s one of our favorite recipes:
- 2 tbsp of grapeseed oil
- 20 drops of vitamin e
- 4 drops of juniper berry
- 4 drops of pine needle
- 5 drops of fir needle
- 1 oz. glass bottle with dropper
- Mix all of the essential oils into a the glass bottle
- Fill in the bottle with your carrier oil
- Cap the bottle and shake well
- Apply a couple drops to your wrists, neck, and/or behind your ears
- PREMIUM FRAGRANCE: A few drops in a diffuser to freshen up your space with soothing and calming...
3. Rosemary Mint Shaving Cream
Want a nice clean shave without subjecting yourself to the chemicals in Barbasol and other shaving creams? This shaving cream recipe mixes peppermint and rosemary for a refreshing scent that soothes and energizes your skin.
- 1/3 cup shea butter
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup jojoba oil
- 8 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Glass jar
- Mix the coconut oil and shea butter in a saucepan over low heat
- Stir until the mixture melts
- Transfer the mixture to a glass bowl
- Mix in the jojoba oil, rosemary oil, and peppermint oil
- Chill in the refrigerator until the solution solidifies
- Once it’s solid, whip up the solution using a hand beater until it is fluffy
- Add to the glass jar and store in a dry, cool place
- This is a pure and 100% natural luxurious shaving soap scented with Essential Oil
4. Mint Shower Bomb
This shower bomb for men not only smells nice, it gives you a quick pick me up during your morning routine. Furthermore, if you are suffering from a cold, the peppermint in the recipe helps to clear up your sinuses.
- 2 c. of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of citric acid
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp of water
- Silicone mold
- Dropper and bowl
- Stir baking soda and citric acid into the mixing bowl (if you have one, using a Kitchen Aid is ideal)
- Add water and essential oil to the bowl
- After mixing, you should have a damp mixture
- Scoop the mixture into your mold
- Press down on each shower bomb to make sure it is compact
- Let sit for four hours to let dry
- Remove from mold and let dry overnight
- Store in a glass jar or your container of choice