Weight is something most of us are always mindful of, especially as we grow older in years. The question is, whether we have a weight loss strategy that we can believe in and stick to.
There is no shortage of diets and supplements at your disposal. Maybe Whole30 or Juice Plus come to mind. And while these can be highly effective programs, there are aromatherapy solutions that can complement (maybe even supplement) your current weight management plan.
Aromatherapy can also help with cellulite, an unfortunate side effect of weight gain and aging. In this article, we’ll discuss how essential oils can help you both lose weight and repair cellulite-ridden skin.
Aromatherapy Recipes for Losing Weight
Before digging into our favorite aromatherapy blends for weight loss, consider these general weight loss tips:
- Cut sugar intake: Sugar and starches stimulate insulin secretion, which is the primary fat storage hormone in your body. Slashing your carb intake will decrease your insulin and encourage you to consume fewer calories and curb your appetite.
- Focus on protein and veggies: Each meal you eat should have a fat source, protein source, and low-carb veggie source. Doing so will help bring your carb intake to the recommended 20 to 50 grams per day.
- Exercise often: If you follow highly regimented diet, you might be able to get away without exercise. But exercise never hurts hurt in the weight management arena. Plus, it’s good for your overall health. Aim for some kind of exercise at least three to four times a week, even if it’s just a stroll around the neighborhood.
- Eat whole foods: Try to avoid processed foods. They are generally less healthy and they don’t provide the nutritional benefits that whole foods do. Unprocessed foods are filling and they help curb the desire to overeat.
Now, for our favorite aromatherapy recipes. The aim of these blends is to reduce hunger cravings. There are a number of essential oils that can serve this purpose. To use these blends, all you need is a standard essential oil diffuser.
- Blend #1: 3 drops of grapefruit and 4 drops of lemon
- Blend #2: 3 drops of cinnamon and 3 drops of peppermint
- Blend #3: 2 drops of fennel and 3 drops of bergamot
You can also apply a topical blend by diluting one or more “weight loss oils” with a carrier oil. For example, you could dilute a drop each of peppermint and cinnamon with jojoba oil and apply to your chest to reduce hunger cravings.
5 Essential Oils for Cellulite
Cellulite is a condition in which the skin contains areas of underlying fat deposits. The result is a lumpy and dimpled appearance. It’s not an uncommon occurrence. In fact, about nine in ten women suffer from cellulite at some point in their lives.
Fortunately, there are natural remedies like essential oils that can help with such problems. Essential oils get to the root of the problem by removing toxins that can build in fat cells. Moreover, certain oils can increase circulation to boost oxygen levels in the cells.
The optimal way to apply the essential oils below is to dilute a few drops of the oil with a carrier and then massage into the skin in a circular motion.
In addition to a host of other benefits, rosemary is an evergreen shrub that contains skin firming and toning properties. It nourishes the skin while curbing the aesthetics of undesired dimples.
Harboring the sweet scent of roses, geranium has been used for centuries to sanitize wounds. Its tonic, antiseptic, and astringent properties enable it to improve the texture of skin while warding off cellulite.
Derived from the needles of Juniperus osteosperma, juniper oil has a host of benefits, including for both emotional and physical health. Juniper reduces water retention in your body, making it a prime candidate for cellulite removal.
Comprised from three different types of tree families – thuja, juniper, and cedar – cedarwood oil can balance out the skin while removing various impurities. Its diuretic properties make it valuable in fighting cellulite and reducing toxins in the blood.
Harboring a powerful diuretic makeup, fennel helps your body to remove stored-up waste materials. It also helps reduce water retention throughout the body tissues. Its ability to break up fatty deposits in the skin make it a great treatment for cellulite.