Whether it’s fluctuating temperatures or simply an attack from the “cold season,” the common cold can wreak havoc on your throat and sinuses.
Unfortunately, such illnesses can make work and your home and social life miserable. So how do you make it a little more bearable?
You might pop a couple DayQuil and chug down some Robitussin. Or… you might try a natural solution like doTERRA essential oils to relieve your cold and sinus symptoms.
There are several doTERRA oils that can help with a variety of cold symptoms. In fact, doTERRA has a targeted blend that boosts respiratory health. But first, consider the top single oils for these illnesses:
- Peppermint: This is arguably the most popular oil to use for the common cold. After all, it can help with several symptoms. With a high concentration of menthol, it helps clear up your airways and relieve a variety of pains and aches.
- Lemon: Known as the “cure-all” fruit, lemon has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. It is ideal for fighting viruses, and can help with congestion, sore throat, and pains that stem from illness.
- Eucalyptus: Comprised of a high concentration of eucalyptol, eucalyptus oil is an effective remedy for deep coughs. It is also a great congestion-reliever.
- Lavender: A highly versatile oil, lavender helps relieve some ancillary symptoms that come from the cold. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, it can help with headaches, anxiety, sinus pain, and other pains.
- Oregano: A powerful antimicrobial and antiviral essential oil, research shows that oregano can drastically ease upper respiratory symptoms such as cough and sore throat.
- Frankincense: Harboring many healing and restoring properties, frankincense has a number of cold-fighting agents – including astringent, antiseptic, and expectorant. A great secondary benefit of frankincense is that can be useful for curbing stress and worry about missing social events or work when you become ill.
- Clove: With antifungal, antiviral, antimicrobial, and other properties, clove can help with toothaches, coughs, headaches, and achy muscles. Note that for some people, clove can be irritating to the skin, so you might perform a patch test before full use.
- Sandalwood: A stuffy nose and chest congestion can make it difficult to sleep at night. Like other calming oils (such as lavender and frankincense), sandalwood promotes calm and relaxation.
- Basil: Known as a cooking ingredient for Italian recipes, basil can also help with sore and fatigued muscles. Diffusing or applying topically to your chest will help clear up your airways and relieve congestion.
- Thyme: Like many of the oils listed above, thyme can work as a decongestant while providing natural stress relief when you are suffering from sickness. Apply to your chest or diffuse in your office or home to ease your symptoms.
Following the article, don’t forget to browse our collection of necklace & bracelet diffusers, along with other natural accessories!
doTERRA Blends & Recipes for Sinus Congestion
You can see, there is no shortage of oils to use for cold symptoms. But another way to clear your sinuses, weaken your cough, and relieve your sore throat is by using an essential oil blend. You can do so by crafting your own recipe or trying a pre-manufactured blend.
To create your own blend, simply combine two or three of the oils above and apply topically or run through a diffuser.
If you want to go with a doTERRA blend, your main two options are Breathe and OnGuard. What are the benefits of these two blends?
- Breathe: Made up with peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, and other oils, doTERRA Breathe offers a refreshing aroma that clears up the sinuses while promoting clear, easy breathing.
- OnGuard: Comprised of clove, eucalyptus, cinnamon, and other oils, doTERRA OnGuard supports a healthy immune and repiratory system, while protecting from environmental threats.
Best ways to Apply Your Oils for the Common Cold
As you probably already know, there are many ways to apply essential oils. When it comes to fighting a cold, here are a few suggestions:
- Topical: When applying topically, you’ll likely want to dilute your oil(s) with a carrier oil. For example, when ordering your oils from doTERRA be sure to add a bottle of Fractionated Coconut Oil to your list. For sinus issues, it’s best to apply to your chest and back of neck.
- Diffuser: This is pretty self-explanatory. If you are applying a blend, it’s good to add 4 to 5 drops of oil to a standard size diffuser. If you are using your own 2 to 3 oil recipe, add 2 to 3 of each oil.
- Accessory: As essential oils have grown in popularity, there are several accessories available that can enhance your aromatherapy experience. Products such as USB diffuser and diffuser jewelry are a great way to enjoy essential oils while you’re at the office, in your car, or when you’re out and about.
Are you looking to enhance your essential oil experience? Or add some cool natural living accessories?
Browse our lava stone necklace and bracelet diffusers, along with mood rings, chakras, bath bombs, and more!