Dayquil, Robitussin, other OTC medications – we often arm ourselves with these drugs when fighting off the cold and flu. But did you know, there are natural alternatives like essential oils for sore throat and coughs that can actually work?
Many so-called home remedies don’t provide the real results you need to get better. Others can work wonders for various cold symptoms. Personally, we consider essential oils as great natural defenses to a variety of illnesses. In this article, we have outlined the top essential oils we use for sore throat, coughs, and general cold symptoms.
Headaches, nasal and chest congestion, coughing, and trouble breathing are all common symptoms of a cold or flu. And they are all components of the way in which our bodies fight off this invasion. But the therapeutic characteristics of essential oils can work to ease these symptoms. And not only can they work wonders for the healing process, they do so in a 100% natural way!
The best essential oils for sore throat and colds
First, a great way to eliminate germs in your home is to freshen up the environment with oils like peppermint, lemon, and eucalyptus. For this mode of application, it is best to use a diffuser (maybe even a portable diffuser bracelet or necklace). Simply pour in 3 to 4 drops of the chosen oil and diffuse throughout your living room or bedroom.
- Lemon: Helps to detoxify as an agent for relieving sinus congestion.
- Eucalyptus: Also works as a decongestant, helping to soothe respiratory problems.
- Peppermint: Provides relief for headaches, congestion, and sore throat.
For a cough and sore throat, the best method for application would be to rub a couple drops of the chosen oil onto your chest. For congestion, you can also rub a small amount of the oil along your sinuses.
At nighttime, run a diffuser in your bedroom. Diffusers help break down essential oils into small molecules to purify the air. This provides sustained results, as the particles will project through the air for several hours (depending on the quality of the diffuser and oil).
An essential oils respiratory blend
While there are many, many drugs that can be taken for respiratory issues, natural remedies like essential oils can be just as effective. If you’re on the hunt for a blend that mixes several natural properties, it might be best to use a respiratory blend. Among other benefits, the respiratory blend helps to:
- Curb the impact of seasonal allergies
- Enhance breathing by clearing up your airways
- Improve overall respiratory health
To create this essential oil blend, you’ll need to combine equal parts of peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, and lavender. The application method is similar to how you would apply the oils we previously outlined. Here are some other uses for the respiratory blend:
- Inhale, diffuse, or apply topically to ward off various environmental threats.
- Apply before spending time outdoors to fight seasonal threats.
- Rub a few drops on your chest before sleeping to prevent snoring.
Taking preventative measures
When it comes to remaining healthy, prevention is critical. When trying to prevent coughs, sore throats, and congestion, it’s best to be proactive – not reactive. Here are a few basic tips for preventing illness:
- Have a natural hand sanitizer on hand, and wash your hands regularly to ward off germs.
- Get adequate rest. Quality sleep is critical to maintaining health when your are exposed to illness.
- Have a healthy diet. Nourishing foods give your body the fuel to maintain your energy and health.
So there you go. In addition to taking these preventative measures, add essential oils to your sickness-fighting repertoire. These natural home wellness products have so many wonderful qualities for illness. They are a healthy way for you and your family to fight off whatever negative invasions life throws your way!
1 thought on “Essential Oils For Sore Throat, Cough & Sinuses”
Nice to read more new information! All the methods are describes in a very simole way, I’ll try it right now. Thank you!