Coughs, sneezes, and sniffles abound. Need something to help weather the cold and flu? Or the looming allergy season?
Sure, Dayquil, Robitussin, and Benadryl are options. But what about an all natural solution, one that isn’t chalked with a number of questionable ingredients?
That’s right, as the common oiler might say, “there are essential oils for that.” Of course, if you are like us, we have a tray that contains dozens and dozens of different oils. So how do you choose which ones to include in your cold and flu bomb recipe? Don’t worry, we won’t keep it a secret 🙂
Essential Oils For Cold, Flu, and Allergies
Before revealing our cold and flu bomb essential oils recipe, we’ll list off some of the top oils for cold, flu, and allergy symptoms:
- Thyme: Has anti-bacterial properties that can help clear up congestion.
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Thyme on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY...
- Peppermint: Like thyme, peppermint is great for improving respiratory health. Just dabbing a drop or two on your chest can provide instant sinus relief.
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and...
- Lemon: Containing high levels of vitamins, lemon bolsters your immune system while boosting white blood cell production. This helps your body eliminate sickness more quickly.
- Cold pressed lemon oil (Citrus Limon) from the rinds of lemon; unfiltered and undiluted with no...
- Lavender: Containing antimicrobial and antiseptic characteristics, lavender is a relaxant that can help ease pain (headaches, sinus discomfort, etc.).
- Ingredients: 100% pure lavender oil
- Eucalyptus: Working as a natural decongestant, eucalyptus wards of bacteria while clearing up the nasal passages.
Essential oils can be run through a diffuser, applied topically, or taken internally (depending on the brand and type of oil). They can be used singularly or, as we are about lay out, as ingredients in a specialized blend.
The Cold and Flu Bomb Recipe
This is a basic, useful essential oils recipe that combats a range of symptoms, including cough, congestion, and more. To start, you’ll need a 10ml glass roller bottle. Make sure it is glass. Essential oils are not meant to be stored in plastic.
Fill your roller bottle with the following oils:
- 7 drops of lemon
- 7 drops of lavender
- 5 drops of oregano
- 5 drops of peppermint
- 5 drops of thyme
- 5 drops of eucalyptus
Once you’ve added these oils, top the rest of the bottle off with a carrier oil.
Note that over time, the body can build immunities to certain essential oils, similar to how you would build an immunity to an antibiotic. That’s why it is good to mix up the oils if you plan on using the blend for an extended period of time. Also, everyone’s body reacts differently.
So what might work great for someone else, might not provide the same effect for you. A few ideas to supplement your cold and flu bomb recipe are frankincense, orange, cinnamon, and rosemary. Simply replace one of the oils above with two to three drops of one of these oils.
Once you’re finished crafting your recipe, apply the rollerball to the bottom of your feet a few times a day until your symptoms cease.