Ever tried making your own organic perfume only to find out you have to apply it once every hour or two?
If so, you’re probably in the same boat as a lot of people who have made the same attempt.
Crafting your own natural perfume recipe is one of the easiest and most rewarding DIY beauty projects to pursue. And it’s not that difficult.
All you need is a few different essential oils, along with the right set of base ingredients, and you are open to a wide range of possibilities.
- ORGANIC AROMA: While some other essential oils come with an awful strong chemical smell, our top...
Why Go With a Natural DIY Perfume?
There could be a number of reasons why you might resort to an organic fragrance option. Your skin may react negatively to traditional perfumes. Or, the most common reason, you’re concerned with the numerous chemicals included in these fragrances.
Many of the ingredients in traditional perfumes do not have to be listed on the labels. What kind of ingredients?
- Hormone disruptors
- Skin irritants
- Known allergens
- The list goes on…
To be more specific, in 1991 the EPA tested fragrances for a range of chemicals. To name a few, the study came up with the following: ethanol, methylene chloride, benzyl acetate, acetone, benzaldehyde, and more.
Not only is the natural alternative safer, many of the botanicals used in natural DIY perfumes contain therapeutic properties that are relaxing, uplifting, and balancing.
Do you often feel tired throughout the day? Create an energy blend!
Feeling down in the dumps? Craft an uplifting blend!
The options are limitless.
- Promotes feelings of optimism, cheerfulness, and happiness
Long-Lasting Organic Perfume Recipe
As we’ve noted, most homemade blends will fade within only a couple hours. Below is an organic perfume blend that will last longer using a fixative such as vegetable glycerin.
By following this recipe and storing your finished perfume correctly, you’ll have a formula that will smell bolder and last longer.
Note that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to concocting an essential oil recipe. It is about personal preference combined with a little experimentation. Below is a universal scent that most women will enjoy.
What you’ll need:
- Carrier oil (i.e. jojoba, grape seed, coconut, etc.)
- 2 drops of liquid glycerin
- 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops of ylang ylang essential oil
- 15 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Glass mixing container
- 10ml glass container
- Add in the three essential oils one at a time.
- Inhale the mixture to verify that it is at the desired strength (note: some essential oil brands are more potent than others, so you might need to make adjustments).
- Mix in the glycerin.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Pour into a glass bottle and top the solution off with your carrier oil.
- Screw the lid on, and shake well.
- Before applying, let your perfume sit in a dark and cool place for at least 24 hours. Within this period, occasionally shake the bottle from time to time, as this well help the perfume blend properly.
So there you have it. This is just one among countless other recipes you can try. Mix and match your favorite oils to discover new amazing recipes!