It can be difficult to find a natural acne treatment that actually works. In fact, it can be difficult to find any acne treatment, organic remedy or other, that is effective – especially if you’re looking for something to work fast.
Let’s face it, calling it an “overnight solution” can be a stretch. But there are natural remedies like essential oils that can work overnight. But not on everyone. Be that as it may, there are a number of safe and effective acne treatment products that are not littered with chemicals or other undesirable additives.
Whether it’s oily skin or a big black pimple (sorry to be graphic), natural essential oil products offer a range of benefits:
- Save money by avoiding costly non-organic treatments.
- Improve your health by avoiding chemically-derived substances.
- Soothe your skin while providing a delightful aroma.
- The thrill of coming up with your own oil recipes.
A natural acne alternative to fight off pimples
Indeed, essential oils offer a safe and healthy solution for warding off those pesky pimples. And since everybody’s skin is just a little bit different, you have a range of options to choose from. The simple fact is: What may work for you may not work for your neighbor down the street. And vice versa. We’ll get into the specific oils in a moment. But first, here’s why these holistic acne treatments have such a profound impact:
- They harbor antibacterial properties that help stem the evolution of acne germs.
- They ramp up the speed of skin healing following a breakout.
- They balance out the production of oil on the skin (ironically, essential oils can in fact decrease the “oiliness” of your skin. Sounds like a paradox, we know).
- They ease irritation while eliminating red marks on the skin.
Now, let’s face it, there is a lot of overpromising in the facial health arena. There are a whole lot of claims – along with a whole lot of stale results. That’s why we won’t guarantee this form of treatment. Because, as we noted, everyone’s skin reacts differently.
Sometimes, essential oils can provide overnight results. Sometimes it can take a few weeks, with consistent use. If you’ve been suffering from acne for a while, this is a concept you probably already understand.
The top three oils we recommend
There are a number of single oils and blends that are effective at treating those undesirable acne spots. And while there are so many to choose from, we’ve narrowed down a few top oils for you to start with:
- Lavender: Lightens the facial appearance of acne scars as well as age spots. It also helps regenerate skin cells, while improving mature skin.
- Frankincense: An antibacterial and anti-inflammatory Frankincense operates as an organic toner to skin tones, while reducing the appearance of skin pores. It also has the capabilities to tighten up the skin, curb the amount of wrinkles, and make scars less visible.
- Lemon: Harbors astringent and antibacterial properties, making it perfect for those suffering from oily and acne-prone skin. Lemon also limits the appearance of pores.
Applying these all natural recipes
Now that you have a good starting point – that is, what products to begin with – you need to know how to best apply them. In general, essential oils can be applied through three different methods: Aromatically, topically, or internally.
For treating acne, topically is the preferred solution. Here are a few of your best options:
- First, it’s a given: wash your face every night.
- Dab one or a couple drops of Lavender, Frankincense, and/or Lemon on a Q-Tip and rub lightly over and around the pimple.
- Combine 3 to 5 drops of a carrier oil (such as Fractionated Coconut Oil) with 3 to 5 drops of your chosen essential oil and rub in the palm of your hands. Dab the oil concoction on the blemish and let it seep into your skin.
We always recommend trying out a few of these options, because as noted above, everyone’s skin reacts differently. Your best bet is to record the results each time you apply. That way you can determine which options are most effective.
A few more words of wisdom
When delving into the world of essential oils, you want to get off on the right foot. Slapping on any old brand of oil isn’t going to provide you with the best results – or any results, for that matter. In fact, using that cheap, off-brand product you find at your health foods store could even irritate your skin further. As the old adage goes: You get what you pay for.