Whether it’s sleep, congestion, or pain that’s keeping you down (or up), there is a natural alternative to Nyquil and Dayquil that will help keep you both comfortable and healthy.
Sick of that groggy feeling you have after taking too much Nyquil? Are you tired of that “zombie” feeling that Dayquil seems to give you throughout the day? If so, there are natural remedies that can help you deal with that cold or flu in a 100% organic manner.
Indeed, there’s no reason to subject your body to the chemicals and unfortunate side effects of taking traditional cold medications. In this article, we’ll address all the reasons you may currently be taking these two drugs, along with a solution for each symptom. And at the end, we’ll lay out specifics on which product to use for which health issue you may be dealing with.
Colds, Coughs, and Congestion
Stocking up on Dayquil to address your cold symptoms is not only expensive, it can pose many side effects. Essential oil home remedies are highly effective at addressing a range of cold and flu-like symptoms – whether it’s a cough, sore throat, or even sinus congestion.
There are a number of single oils to help combat the common cold, including:
- Lavender: With anti-inflammatory properties, it helps relieve headaches and sinus pain.
- Lemon: Helps detoxify your body, making it an effective agent for congestion.
- Peppermint: Provides relief for headaches that are often caused by congestion.
Furthermore, you can also use a blend that combines multiple essential oils into a single bottle. This helps maximize the 100% natural benefits you’ll receive. For instance, the Respiratory Blend is a proprietary blend of several therapeutic grade oils that ease breathing patterns for sustained results. Among the benefits:
- Improves health of your respiratory system.
- Clears airways and improves breathing patterns.
- Decreases the effects of seasonal threats.
The Respiratory Blend includes a range of oils that work in similar ways to a cold meds like Sudafed or Dayquil. Oils included are Lemon, Peppermint, Ravensara, Melaleuca, Laurel Leaf, and Eucalyptus. The blend can be applied topically to the back, chest, or even the bottom of your feet. It can also be run through a diffuser to clean out the air in your home or workspace.
For an added bonus, this blend offers a pleasant aroma that will calm your senses, making it a great bedtime solution (so you can kick the Nyquil to the curb).
A natural alternative to Nyquil
Let’s face it, Nyquil works as a great sleep aid. Especially when your head feels like a balloon and you’re fighting for your life to breathe out of your nose. But the last thing you want to do is take shot after shot of Nyquil, as it often ruins you the next day with that groggy feeling.
As noted, the Respiratory Blend will help you breathe easier and feel more comfortable. But in addition to the cold remedy solutions we’ve highlighted above, there are aromatherapy oils that also work as natural sleep aids.
We rank Lavender as one of the top aromatherapy methods for treating sleep problems, whether it’s everyday insomnia or the nagging weight of a cold or flu. In fact, there have been numerous studies on the effects that Lavender has as a sleep aid.
Other essential oils for taking on those restless nights are:
Any of these products, including Lavender, can be applied either topically or aromatically:
- Topical: Apply directly to the skin (if you have sensitive skin, or if you are using a lower grade brand, use a carrier oil to dilute). Rub on your wrists, back of neck, and/or the bottom of your feet.
- Aromatic: Run anywhere from 2 to 5 drops through a diffuser (you can place next to your bed or anywhere in the room) and prepare to drift off to sleep.
Recapping your natural options
As you can see, there are a number of natural home remedies for treating the symptoms that both Dayquil and Nyquil attempt to address. But using pure essential oils means you’re keeping your body healthy in a 100% organic way. So to recap:
- Peppermint: Great for treating headaches.
- Lavender: Works for both head and sinus pain.
- The Respiratory Blend: Boosts respiratory health, improves breathing, and combats seasonal threats.
- Lavender: Calms the body and mind.
And finally… another natural DayQuil and Nyquil remedy is an all-in-one herbal expectorant like Naturade’s Herbal Expec. It has fast-acting relief, and contains only 100% natural ingredients.