It’s sort of ironic, you know, how so often we “sanitize” our body with chemicals. Most of us don’t even know we’re doing it. But the fact is, the hand cleansers we take home from Walmart and CVS are chalked with alcohol and other undesirable additives.
With that being said, you may be asking, “How can I make my own natural homemade hand sanitizer?”
Today’s alcohol-ridden hand cleansers
Hand cleansers are simple, on-the-go sanitizing solutions for keeping your hands clean when soap and water may not be available. But today’s hand sanitizers contain ethyl and isopropyl alcohol, which can be dangerous – particularly when put in the hands of unattended children.
- Use to sanitize hands after touching gym equipment, door handles, and shopping carts
The majority of traditional hand cleansing products contain somewhere between 60 and 90 percent alcohol. If ingested, this quantity of alcohol content is enough to be fatal. In fact, a mere two ounce bottle of traditional hand sanitizer equates to as much as four shots of hard liquor!
If that’s not enough to cause concern, there are a host of other drawbacks:
- The alcohol can become a fire hazard
- Can pose severe skin and eye irritation reactions
- Can cause extreme drying of the skin
A natural homemade hand sanitizer solution
There’s a rather easy solution to this seemingly widespread program. Make your own hand cleanser using just a few key ingredients. All it takes is a little DIY attitude. An added benefit to this organic DIY hand sanitizing gel is it not only cleans your hands, but it works as a moisturizer as well.
The natural hand sanitizer recipe we are about to show you is made with just a few basic ingredients, in addition to essential oils like lemon and orange.
Lemon and orange essential oils offer natural benefits to maintain the health of your family and home. They work as natural safeguards against seasonal and environmental threats while delivering positive benefits for the immune system.
These two oils are popular ingredients for disinfectants and non-toxic cleaners. Among their many benefits:
- Help purify the air when run through a diffuser
- Offer healthy respiratory function and immune support
- Improve energy and mental state
- Provide cleansing benefits while promoting healthy circulation
DIY natural hand cleansing recipe
So without further ado, here’s the recipe:
- Four tablespoons of water
- Five tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- ¼ teaspoon of Vitamin E oil
- 5 drops of lemon, 5 drops of orange
- A small squeeze container (note: essential oils can only be stored in plastic if they are highly diluted. Also be sure to only use high quality, therapeutic grade oils when storing in plastic)
- Mix vitamin E oil and aloe vera gel together in a bowl.
- Add ten drops of the Protective essential oil blend to the aloe vera mixture.
- Combine water and mix in well. Adjust water quantities based on the consistency you desire.
- When you’re finished mixing, simply pour into your container. Pour into container and you’re done! Put your homemade hand cleanser in your bag, car, or office for an effective, alcohol-free hand cleanser.
- SET INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING SCENTS – Lavender, Frankincense, Eucalyptus,Breathe Blend, Cedarwood,...
Then you’re good to go! We always recommend mixing up a few batches. That way you can have one in your car, bag, and office for a healthy and effective, alcohol-free sanitizer.
If you’re new to essential oils, feel free to keep exploring. These all natural products offer countless health benefits for you and your family.