Your home is contaminated. Sinus congestion, sore throat, the list goes on. You and your children are suffering from the lingering effects of the common cold. Maybe you’re loading up on DayQuil, Vicks VapoRub, Robitussin cough syrup, and any other over the counter cold medications you can get your hands on.
But do you know the ingredients that are included in many of these supposedly safe and healthy drugs? In this article, we are going to examine one popular cold treatment that is used on babies, adults, and everywhere in between. That’s right, Vicks VapoRub. And by the end, you’ll have your own natural Vicks alternative made from an easy home remedy recipe.
The chemicals in Vicks VapoRub
The dangers of Vicks VapoRub are becoming more and more documented. Some call it “turpentine for babies.” A strong statement, for sure, but the message is on target. First, let’s take a look at the ingredients of this widely used chest rub:
- Active ingredients include Menthol, Eucalyptol, and Camphor.
- Inactive ingredients include Nutmeg oil, Thymol, Cedarleaf oil, Special Petrolatum, and Turpentine oil.
There are a few ingredients there that might sound alarm bells off in your head (ahem, turpentine?). According to a study by the North Carolina Wake Forest University of Medicine, the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub “can be irritants, causing the body to produce more mucus to protect the airway.” In the study, doctors warn that the included ingredients could be dangerous for both young children and babies, specifically causing issues in the respiratory system.
Before we get into our homemade natural remedy, let’s just take a quick glance at two of the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub:
- Camphor: In significant quantities can be poisonous, and when ingested can spur confusion, irritability, and even seizures.
- Turpentine oil: The vapor in turpentine can burn the skin while imposing damage on the respiratory system.
Okay, you get the point. You can’t always trust the cold medicine “status quo.”
A natural vicks home remedy alternative
A quick disclaimer: Essential oils are not FDA-approved and therefore we are not qualified to claim that they in any way can “cure” a cold.
There are a number of home remedies you can make up when it comes to getting better – faster. The homeopathic recipe we recommend, of course, is the use of aromatherapy. Essential oils offer versatile benefits to address a range of issues. First, here are the properties of some of the more popular oils:
These are just several among dozens of other plants that are distilled into essential oils. While using these products individually can be highly effective, using a blend of multiple oils packs an even more powerful punch. Most essential oil blends are designed to address a specific benefit. In terms of dealing with a throat tickle or mild congestion, we’ll outline three landmark blends.
1. Respiratory Blend: This popular blend offers powerful respiratory benefits that help you breathe easier when you’re suffering from congestion and drainage. Breathe promotes healthy respiratory function and soothes your airways to encourage clear breathing. This blend combines the following oils:
- Laurel Leaf
2. Relaxation Blend: Also one of the more popular blends, Tranquility blend offers emotional benefits with sedative properties that encourage sleep. As you know, quality sleep is one of the most important ingredients for overcoming a cold. And when you’re suffering from sinus congestion and a sore or scratchy throat, trying to get to sleep and stay asleep can be a challenge. The Tranquility Blend includes the following oils:
- Ylang ylang
- Roman chamomile
3. Protective Blend: Providing the ultimate protection for your home, the Protective Blend wards of seasonal and environmental threats with profound effects on the immune system. This blend helps to purify the air, boost your energy, and support healthy immune function. It can also be used as a disinfectant and non-toxic cleaner. Oils include:
- Wild orange
Other than essential oils, there are a range of natural sinus remedy products to try out. Naturade arguably makes the best all-in-one solution…
- Naturade Herbal Expec
A quick recap
All three of these blends serve their own purpose when it comes to keeping your home sick-free while helping you to deal with discomfort. If you’re looking for an all natural alternative to traditional medications, you won’t find a better remedy than essential oils.
To sum things up, in addition to using single essential oils, consider the following three blends for treating sickness in your home:
- Respiratory Blend: Helps with respiratory issues.
- Relaxation Blend: Helps you to get quality sleep by promoting mental and physical relaxation.
- Protective Blend: Provides the ultimate protection from seasonal and environmental threats.