Learning how to deal with nocturnal panic attacks may seem like an insurmountable challenge. Especially if you’re wanting to overcome these anxiety episodes naturally. Whether it’s every night or just on occasion, there’s no bones about it: Coping with nighttime stress is a miserable obstacle that often leads to insomnia, sleep apnea, and possibly, long term health concerns.
With a nocturnal panic attack, you may experience similar symptoms of a typical daytime anxiety attack:
- Rapid beating heart rate
- Sweating and trembling
- Hyperventilation (heavy breathing)
- Flushing and chills
- An overall sense of impending doom
And believe it or not, these nighttime panics are startlingly common. In fact, between 40 and 70 percent of those with panic disorders may experience nocturnal panic attacks. Individuals with nighttime anxiety attacks also generally suffer from panic attacks throughout the day.
Before we dig into what we consider the best natural treatment for nocturnal panic attacks, first consider these simple tips:
- Avoid late night snacking
- Avoid consuming caffeine in the evenings
- Avoid excess consumption of alcohol
- Avoid watching stimulating TV programming before bed
A natural “treatment” for nocturnal panic attacks
First, we must throw out our obligatory disclaimer: We are not physicians, and therefore we do not prescribe any medications. Please speak to your doctor before making any significant decisions on your health. These products are not intended to “treat” or “prescribe” any form of cure – only suggestions that we have found effective for our family.
Okay, moving on…
Now for what we claim to be the best natural remedy for minor anxious feelings. There is no shortage of drugs you can take to deal with stress. There are also a number of natural remedies that can provide some relief too.
As derivatives of various plant species, essential oils are a 100% natural alternative (as long as you’re using a high quality, therapeutic grade oil). First, here are a few basic single oils to begin with:
- Lavender: A versatile “gateway oil,” it can work great with improving mood and relieving anxious thoughts
- Vetiver: A bold earthy aroma, it is a grounding and calming oil that promotes relaxation.
- Frankincense: Known as one of the “luxury” oils, it helps with a range of symptoms, including everything from nervousness to poor mood.
- Ylang ylang: A sweet and flowery fragrance, it can release tension while offering sedative-like properties.
- This gift set includes six 10mL bottles of aromatherapy essential oils: lemongrass, peppermint,...
An even more powerful option
Another, often more powerful home remedy option is using an essential oil blend, which includes multiple oils mixed into a blended formula. Different brands feature their own unique, sometimes proprietary formulas.
For instance, the essential oil brand we represent has a broad line of blends that are designed to address all sorts of health and wellness benefits. The Ground Blend is a popular essential oil blend that brings harmony to both the body and mind. As you can see, it comprises a unique, harmonious blend of oils:
- Spruce needle / leaf
- Ho wood
- Blue tansy flower
- Frankincense resin
- Blue chamomile flower
- Fractionated coconut oil as a base
Another fantastic blend is the Calming Blend. This landmark formula not only helps promote a sense of peace and calm, but it also encourages deeper sleep – which helps prevent the looming threat of nocturnal panic attacks. A sweet, warm and powdery scent, the Calming Blend comprises a mixture of lavender, marjoram, roman chamomile, sandalwood, ylang ylang, and vanilla bean.
How to use them
What’s great about incorporating essential oils into your life is the versatility in how you can apply them. And depending on the intended goal, it may be more advantageous to use one application over the other. In general, here are a few ways you can apply essential oils:
- Topically: Apply directly to the skin, preferably to the bottom of your feet, wrists, and/or back of the neck (if you have sensitive skin, it’s always good to use a carrier like coconut oil for dilution).
- Aromatically: Put just a few drops of the oil into a diffuser and diffuse through the living room or bedroom. If you’re using it for sleep, of course, run the diffuser in your bedroom, preferably on a nightstand or somewhere close to your bed.
- Internally: Some products are effective when taken internally, either mixed with food or a beverage. Note: For the oils we have discussed in this article, it is best to use topically or aromatically. Also, read the label before using internally.
- A UNIQUE FORMULA: The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Stress Relief blend on the market, in our...
To sum it all up, here are a few key takeaways for treating anxiety in a 100% natural way:
- Use single oils like lavender, frankincense, and ylang ylang.
- For a more powerful impact, use an essential oil blend like the Calming and/or Grounding Blends.
- Only use a quality therapeutic grade oil if you’re looking to maximize your benefits.
Important update: We no longer offer the specific blends highlighted in this article.