As you probably already know, you can get sinus headaches without congestion or an infection. And these migraine-esque headaches are miserable, to say the least. There are a number of culprits that can spur on these painful symptoms, including everything from allergies, barometric pressure factors, and general changes in the weather.
The discomfort can come in a variety of forms, such as nausea, sinus pain, and pain behind the eyes. Most people typically deal with sinus headaches with over the counter pain medications like ibuprofen, tylenol, and various cold medicines.
While these drugs can certainly be effective, there are natural home remedies that many people find effective as well. Please note that the natural alternatives we’ve found impactful are not intended to treat or cure any form of disease (have to throw our FDA disclaimer in there). But we, as well as thousands of people across the country, have found unparalleled success with home remedies for sinus headaches.
5 home remedies for sinus headaches
First, we’ll outline a few natural alternatives that can provide relief. They aren’t “natural remedies,” per se, but general lifestyle changes that can ease head discomfort. Then, we’ll offer up some advice on a few organic products to consider.
- “Nutty” foods: There are certain nuts that can provide natural pain relief. For example: Salicin, a property often comprised in OTC pain killers, is an ingredient found in almonds.
- Stretching and relaxation: We live in a fast-paced society, and headaches can stem from our lifestyles. Activities like yoga and breathing techniques can relieve the tension that often spurs on head pain.
- Apple cider vinegar: For most people, it’s not the most pleasant of remedies. But apple cider vinegar has been used for a long time for its healthful benefits. Here’s a good recipe for dealing with sinus headaches: simply combine three cups of hot water with ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar as a compress.
- Heat or ice: This can be a rather delicate technique, because what might curb head pain for one person, might worsen the pain for another person (depends on what is specifically causing the discomfort). You’ll have to try one or the other. Just remove the heat or ice quickly as soon as you feel any additional pain.
- Exercise: Sure, the last thing you plan on doing is exercising when you’re suffering from a sinus headache. But developing routines with consistent exercise can bolster the mind and body.
Natural alternative products for head pain
Organic products like aromatherapy can provide immense relief for sinus headaches. Two of the most popular essential oils people use are peppermint and lavender. First, consider some of the benefits that peppermint oil can provide:
- Especially when combined with citrus oils like orange, peppermint can deliver an instant energy boost.
- With properties that encourage sound respiratory health, peppermint can assist in relieving sinus pressure and congestion.
Another oil that can help with relieving a sinus headache is lavender. It is particularly effective when you are experiencing pressure from stress, lack of sleep, or moodiness. It is often used for its calming effect on the mind and body. It can be applied in a few different ways:
- Put 2 to 4 drops in a diffuser and run it throughout your living, bedroom, or office space. If the sinus pain is impacting the quality of your sleep, run the diffuser near your bed.
- Apply topically to your wrists and/or temples. Essential oils penetrate the skin and bloodstream within a matter of seconds, offering immediate relief.
To wrap things up
Lifestyle changes to puruse:
- Nuts that contain Salicin offer benefits that resemble many over the counter pain killers.
- Relaxation and stretching can ease tension that often promotes head pain.
- An apple cider vinegar compress can help relieve sinus headaches.
- Heat or ice can provide ongoing relief for head discomfort.
- Exercise and routines can promote healthy mind and body processes.
Natural products to consider:
- Essential oils like peppermint can provide instant relief for sinus headaches.
- Lavender can help decrease stress, improve mood, and promote better sleep.