If you’re looking into the top essential oil companies for the year of 2018, there’s a good chance you are new to these amazing natural products.
So first, we’ll start with a brief overview of what and how essential oils work.
In short, they are potent oils that stem from plants. Extracted through a water-distillation process, essential oils can originate from flowers, roots, bark, and leaves.
The benefits of aromatherapy are hardly restricted to their pleasing scent. Most oils harvest therapeutic properties that provide a range of physical and emotional benefits. Antiseptic, antibacterial, sedative, and decongestant are just a few of the many benefits aromatherapy has to offer.
Now that you have a general background of essential oils, it’s time to decide on the best company to use. Partly, this is a matter of preference. However, there are some factors that might steer you away from a particular brand. For instance, some essential oil brands are not pure, containing filler chemicals to save on costs.
While you might choose a less expensive brand (over some of the “higher-end” brands), we warn against using a chemical-infused product. For one, they don’t provide the same benefits as a chemical-free oil. And second, it kind of defeats the purpose of using a natural alternative or remedy.
So to cut to the chase, here are what we consider the top 10 essential oil companies of 2018:
Note: These are unbiased opinions. We are not sales consultants who gain commissions and we do not refer for commission from affiliate links.
doTERRA is one of the most popular essential oil brands. It’s a Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade product that has gone through some of the most thorough testing in the industry.
Rest assured, doTERRA oils are 100% pure. Note that doTERRA is a direct sales company. So you will always be purchasing from an individual consultant (what they call “Wellness Advocates”). If you want to pursue a business opportunity in addition to simply using oils, doTERRA is a good company to choose.
- Next to Young Living, arguably the highest quality brand.
- One of the most expensive brands.
- Oils are imported from their native countries.
- More than 50 single oils available, along with more than a dozen blends.
2. Young Living
We would put Young Living just about on par with doTERRA. They are among the highest quality oils and have undergone a thorough purity testing process.
Young Living is also similar to doTERRA in that they are sold direct from sales consultants. Moreover, they follow the business model with similar commission rates and benefits.
- Very wide selection: About 100 single oils and nearly 100 blends.
- Pretty expensive, about in line with doTERRA.
- Many oils are distilled in the U.S. rather than native countries.
- Has a lengthy track record, being in business for longer than most other companies.
3. Mountain Rose Herbs
All of Mountain Rose’s oils are organic, some of which are even USDA Certified. They have several awards and certifications, including a non-GMO project certification and the Best Green Oregon Business in 2013.
In addition to single oils and blends, Mountain Rose offers teas, bath & body products, herbs, spices, and more.
- Sells a wide variety of products, including do-it-yourself supplies.
- Pretty competitive pricing (quite a bit less than doTERRA & Young Living), but some more rare oils are more costly.
- All oils are steam distilled.
4. Plant Therapy
Plant Therapy oils are undiluted and high quality. While not quite as potent as, say, a doTERRA and Young Living oil, they are a pretty high quality.
The company was started by a group of business and healthcare professionals. Some of their products are USDA certified, but not all of them. All in all, they are quite comparable to Mountain Rose Herbs, as far as price and quality.
- Reasonably priced with good quality.
- A very wide selection, more than most companies.
- Has a wide selection of roll-on blends, including “KidSafe” products.
5. Rocky Mountain Oils
Rocky Mountain’s products are 100% pure and have undergone an array of testing for quality assurance. In addition to oils, the company sells natural personal care and home cleaning solutions under a brand called AVA Shield.
They have many blends and they are happy to back up their brand, as they offer a doTERRA and Young Living comparison chart on their website.
- Pricing is reasonable but a little more expensive than most brands.
- Has a satisfaction guarantee with a 90-day return policy.
- Offers a neat Loyalty Rewards program where you can earn points for future purchases.
After learning about the rest of these top companies, browse our selection of necklace & bracelet diffusers:
6. Edens Garden
Arriving in the market in 2009, Edens Garden has a variety of scents that have gone through a good deal of testing. In addition to a large collection of single oils and blends, the company sells one of the largest varieties of carrier oils we’ve seen.
While just about all companies offer some form of kit, Edens Garden has kits that combine many different products.
- Offers many different kinds of kits (travel set, roll-on set, “Ok for Kids” set, etc.).
- Competitive pricing and several bottle sizes for each oil, even up to 100ml.
- Sells DIY products, travel accessories, and more.
7. Plant Guru
All Plant Guru oils are 100% organic and authentic. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee that they claim, “you won’t need to use!”
They do not have a direct sales model, which helps to keep their costs lower. Interestingly, they really go after multi-level marketing essential oil companies: “We were tired of the multi marketing companies. The prices for a small 15ml. bottle were getting ridiculous. Everyone should be able to experience the healing power of essential oils.”
They do however have a wholesale program for businesses looking to sell their oils.
- Very competitive prices, lower than most companies on this list.
- A good variety of oils and blends, along with butters, waxes, and raw ingredients.
- They have a 99 percent customer satisfaction rate.
8. Radha Beauty
Radha Beauty is a growing company that was originally started outside the United States. It now has a strong presence in America and sells all throughout the world.
Started in 2014, it’s still relatively new to the market, but adding new 100% natural products to the market – and at a rapid pace.
- In addition to essential oils, they have a wide selection of skin care products.
- Highly competitive pricing along with a wholesale program.
- Have exceptional customer reviews.
9. Aura Cacia
Aura Cacia is one of the most renowned brands on the market. And unlike most companies, they have a very strong retail presence. If you walk into a Whole Foods are local health foods store, you will likely find Aura Cacia products on the shelf.
All their oils are 100% pure, and they are a proud member of several organizations who are trying to build a more sustainable environment.
- Rare oils are more expensive, but a lot of the more common oils and blends have some of lowest prices.
- They have a rich history, as they started selling natural products back in the 1980s.
- Large selection of oils and easy access to buy locally in person.
10. NOW Foods
NOW Foods is similar to Aura Cacia in that they have a strong local, brick-and-mortar presence. In fact, you’ll often find them sitting on the shelf alongside Aura at a Whole Foods or health food store.
There’s not a whole lot to say here, because they are so similar to Aura Cacia.
- Low prices and brick-and-mortar presence.
- Sells all sorts of products, everything from supplements to natural foods and pet health.
Now that you know some of the top essential oil brands, make sure you have the right accessories to apply them! If you’re looking for a portable and stylish solution, check out our collection of lava stone diffuser necklaces and bracelets – along with a range of other accessories: