Suffer from panic attacks? Uncomfortable social situations? Maybe the stress of everyday life is bearing down on you?
Regardless, everyone deals with some level of anxiety from time to time. And whatever the reason, doTERRA essential oils can be immensely supportive.
The question, of course, is which oil (or blend of oils) in your doTERRA collection will provide the most relief?
Stress can be a complicated puzzle. And everyone’s body is different. Therefore, certain oils may work for some better than others. Learn below about the top doTERRA “stress” oils and blends to ease your anxiety.
Disclaimer: Due to FDA regulatory guidelines, doTERRA is unable to advocate particular oils for certain health conditions. We are not Wellness Advocates, so our advice is not representative of doTERRA. Still, we always recommend speaking to your physician before making any serious health decisions.
How Essential Oils Help With Anxiety
The power of scent is, well, let’s just say – powerful. Hence, the reason essential oils are so effective for improving your health in many areas.
Think about it. Even the most obscure scent can awaken feelings of your childhood. Maybe your grandmother baked the best peanut butter cookies. And the smell of those cookies brings back memories in an instant. Or how certain smells can spur on deja vu.
The olfactory (smell) system is quite unique in how it transmits information to the brain from the nose. Unlike other sensory systems, it is linked and intertwined with the limbic system. And the limbic system is responsible for processing both memory and emotions, which can activate a variety of stress triggers.
The Medical Center at the University of Maryland explains it this way:
The nose’s smell receptors communicate with the parts of your brain that serve as storehouses for memory and emotion. When you breathe in essential oils, some researchers believe they stimulate these parts of your brain and influence emotional, physical, and mental health. Scientists believe lavender stimulates the activity of brain cells similar to the way some sedative medications work. Other researchers think that molecules from essential oils may interact in the blood with hormones or enzymes.
Which doTERRA Oils to Use for Stress
Now that you know the “why,” on for the “what.” First, here are the top doTERRA oils we find effective for anxiety:
- Lavender: Often considered as a nervous system restorative, lavender helps promote peace with its calming effect.
- Ylang ylang: Thanks to its uplifting and calming effects, ylang ylang is know for its abilities as a mood enhancer and calming agent.
- Bergamot: In addition to its energy-boosting properties, bergamot can also induce relaxation (if you are lacking energy, it is a good oil to use in combination with other stress oils).
- Frankincense: This oil delivers tranquil energy along with spiritual grounding. It is particularly helpful to use during yoga and general meditation.
- Chamomile: While decreasing irritability and worry, chamomile promotes inner harmony with its peaceful scent. It’s also a great mood-lifter.
Using these stress oils singularly can make a huge impact on your stress levels. But to pack an even greater punch, you can combine your doTERRA oils to form your own blends…
doTERRA Blends and Singles to Help You Relax
You probably already know, doTERRA has a catalog of pre-made essential oil blends. Each blend targets a specific range of wellness benefits. Use the following single oils and blends to promote more relaxation in your life:
- Ylang ylang: Combine 4 drops with epsom salt in a warm bath and soak for 10 minutes.
- Patchouli: Dilute with a carrier oil and massage on temples and bottom of the feet.
- Arborvitae: Diffuse a 3 drops at night or massage onto shoulders and chest.
- Lavender: Combine 4 drops with epsom salt and soak in a warm bath for at least 15 minutes.
- doTERRA Balance: Apply topically to the wrists and back of neck to calm your nerves.
- doTERRA inTune: Apply to temples and back of neck to boost concentration and focus.
- Bergamot: Apply topically to your wrists are diffuse in your office or at home.
- Clary sage: Apply to the bottom of your feet or to various pulse points to balance your mind.
4. General stress
- Lavender: Diffuse a few drops or apply to your wrists to calm your mind and body.
- Chamomile: Add two drops to an herbal tea to soothe your nerves.
- Frankincense: Apply to your neck and bottom of your feet to relax and improve mood.
- doTERRA Serenity: Diffuse, apply to your wrists and neck and experience peace and serenity!