Maybe you enjoyed yourself a little too much during the holidays. Or maybe you”re trying to power through the aftereffects of a Saturday night that was a little too eventful.
Either way, at some point most people have one of those evenings where you”ve had a little too much to drink and are left with a terrible hangover.
So, what to do about it? Most people resort to pain medication for headaches and other over-the-counter drugs for the nausea.
But, of course, there is another option. A healthier one. Try the essential oil hangover bomb recipe in this article to get yourself back in shape.
What is the Best Hangover Cure?
What causes a hangover? Drinking too much, of course. But if you want to move beyond the obvious, there are some key reasons excessive alcohol consumption can cause hangover symptoms. For example, alcohol:
- Makes you urinate more frequently, which in turn leads to dehydration.
- Sparks inflammatory responses in your immune system, which reduces your ability to keep focus.
- Reduces your blood sugar levels, which causes weakness and fatigue.
- Expands your blood vessels, which can prompt headaches.
- Irritates your stomach lining, which can lead to nausea and abdominal pain.
Now, the number-one cure to a hangover is time. But if you”re currently battling through a hangover, that doesn”t do much good for you. So before outlining our essential oil hangover bomb recipe, here are a few additional tips:
- If you can, sleep! Giving your body a rest gives you the best opportunity to recover.
- Drink water. Lots of water. This will help you become less dehydrated.
- In order to get yourself out of bed, you might be tempted to load up on caffeine. But try to avoid too much coffee, as it will further dehydrate you.
- Take vitamins. If you have multi-vitamins and orange juice at home, take them.
- Get some food in your tummy. It might not sound pleasant, but try to force it down.
- Sure, it”s the last thing you want to do. But exercise! Even a short walk outside will help give your body the restoration it needs.
Additionally, there are a few prevention method to consider for the future: Eat before and while drinking, choose drinks that have fewer congeners (often found in dark liquors), and sip water in between drinks.
The Essential Oil Hangover Bomb Recipes
There are a number of essential oils that can help treat hangover symptoms. Here are the top three:
- Peppermint: Possibly the most popular “hangover oil,” peppermint can help with nausea and headaches.
- Lavender: Ideal for fatigue and muscle tension, lavender will help relax your body and calm your mind.
- Orange: Like other citrus oils (grapefruit and lemon, for example), orange is an uplifting scent that rejuvenates your body.
These oils can be used on their own, or you can combine them with other oils to provide more far-reaching benefits. Here are a few hangover bomb recipes you can try out:
1. Drink Bomb
If you have therapeutic oils that can be taken internally, add 1 drop each of lavender, rosemary, and peppermint to a full glass of water. This will help with a range of symptoms, including headaches and nausea.
2. Bath Bomb
Add 3 drops of lavender, 2 drops of peppermint, and 2 drops of orange to a bath. Soak for at least 15 minutes. This will help with headaches and muscle tension, while providing a calming effect on your mind.
3. Diffuser Bomb
The most popular method of essential oil application, diffusing oils can offer a consistent stream of relief. If you”re at the office, diffuse 2 drops of peppermint, 2 drops of lavender, and 2 drops of orange to relieve painful symptoms while providing the much needed energy.
If you”re lucky enough to be in bed, diffuse 3 drops of lavender, 2 drops of vetiver, and 2 drops of peppermint to decrease that “queasy” feeling while helping you to get sleep.