Head colds that inflict splitting headaches, sinus congestion that’s keeping you up at night, you know the story. When you’re sick in bed, finding recipes to cure your symptoms is generally all that’s on your mind.
A common home remedy that many health-minded folks point to is a detox bath. Running detox baths for colds – either with or without epsom salt – is one of the most effective ways to clear up congestion, eliminate migraines, and relieve other cold symptoms. Simply put, it’s a great natural cure for the common head and chest cold.
Not only can a detox bath provide instant relief for some of your initial cold symptoms it can assist in getting you over the sickness much more quickly. It will also help you relax by cleansing your body, refreshing your mind, and delivering additional support to your body’s many working systems.
Natural bath detox options without epsom salt
You have a number of options when it comes to preparing a detox bath, and some work better depending on the application. Before giving you our preference for the best bath detox recipe, consider these basic options:
Apple cider vinegar detox
- Apple cider vinegar offers several health benefits, and can be consumed both internally and externally.
- Also great for sweating out toxins.
- Use 1 to 2 C of raw apple cider vinegar to help treat certain conditions like arthritis and inflammation.
- In addition to the healthy properties you gain from consuming ginger internally, it can also be beneficial for soaking in.
- To prepare, simply sprinkle in some ginger powder or grate fresh ginger straight into the water.
- Sprinkle in a teaspoon of ginger powder or a ½ C of freshly grated ginger.
Baking soda detox
- Surprising to some, adding baking soda to your bath gives you a natural detox solution that can neutralize chlorine.
- Add 2 C of baking soda (with an optional C of epsom salt)
Seaweed detox bomb
- Believe it or not, seaweed contains a host of therapeutic properties, particularly when it comes to detoxifying the body.
- This product combines seaweed with peppermint and eucalyptus to improve your skin and release mucus: Seaweed Bath Bomb
Our essential oil detox bath recipe
Below you will find our favorite essential oil detox bath for colds. After learning about this recipe, don’t forget to check out our aromatherapy accessories, chakra products and more.
As you can see there are several different ways to run a natural DIY detox bath, each providing their own benefits. In terms of detoxing more specific nuisances, we recommend diffusing essential oils in your “detoxifying recipe.”
What’s great about using an essential oil detox bath is not only can you ease certain undesirable physical problems, certain oils can help relieve minor stressors as well. And due to the wide range of oil products available in the marketplace, you can be very strategic in how you address your symptoms. First, here are a couple single essential oils to consider:
- Peppermint: Provides mild headache relief and clears up the sinuses.
- Lavender: Offers calming benefits that help de-stress after a hard day’s work.
Essential oil blends, like the following, can also deliver profound benefits:
- Respiratory Blend: Offers powerful respiratory benefits that help you breathe easier. Supports healthy respiratory function by warding off seasonal and environmental threats.
- Calming Blend: Helps to calm the mind, relax the body, and soothe the soul, leaving you with a feeling of peace and tranquility.
Directions for your essential oil detox
To start your essential oil detox, follow these simple instructions:
- Add a few drops of your chosen oil to a hot bath.
- Soak in bath for about 20 minutes, weekly or as needed.
- Take a cool rinse for a few minutes to rid yourself of all the excreted toxins and close up your skin pores.
Get started and get better
There are no shortage of options when it comes to using detox baths for treating colds. And as you can see, there are added benefits for drawing up your own essential oil detox recipe. There are dozens of essential oils available, so feel free to mix and match your own formulas to see what works best for you.