Your slightly buzzed grandma may have been right on this one. Some things really never change. Concocting your own hot toddy for sore throat and congestion is an effective home remedy for treating colds and the flu. Some may even go as far as to call it a cure. Of course, we’re a little more conservative in our assertions. But it certainly can provide a considerable amount of relief.
A conventional hot toddy recipe
So how do you make a hot toddy? There’s no one way to do it. Cognac, whiskey, rum, brandy, and even Fireball – when it comes to the liquor component, you have no shortage of options. While there are several conventional ingredients people use, we’re going to add in a few of our own ingredients for a more potent effect.
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Breathe Blend on the market, in our opinion. If you are not...
Naturally, many people turn to prescription or over the counter drugs like DayQuil and NyQuil when it comes to easing their symptoms. While these certainly can help with cold symptoms like a sore throat and congestion, a hot toddy is one of many natural recipes that can help. First, we’ll give you the ingredients and directions for a relatively common hot toddy recipe.
- An ounce or so of whiskey, bourbon, or liquor of choice.
- A tablespoon of honey.
- A bag of herbal tea.
- A squeeze of lemon.
- Boil water and pour into a mug.
- Steep tea for two to three minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and stir in the honey.
- Pour in the liquor and lemon, and stir.
Another cough and mucus fighting remedy is an all-in-one herbal expectorant like Naturade’s Herbal Expec
Not only is it 100% natural, it actually works.
For an extra kick
Maybe you’ve heard of them. Maybe not. Essential oils are a rising trend that are becoming more and more popular. And no, it’s not some hippie craze. For lack of a better word, essential oils have shifted into a “mainstream” organic product. They have numerous applications, and while we can’t make any scientific claims, users have found much success when using them for easing cold symptoms.
- Health Shield is targeted to health protection, and based on the centuries old Thieves Oil / Thieves...
In terms of treating a cold with a hot toddy, we recommend adding in a drop or two of any of the following oils:
- Lemon: Operates as a detoxifying agent for sinus and chest congestion.
- Peppermint: Provides relief from headaches.
- Oregano: Helps with sinus infections by working as an antibacterial agent.
Each of these oils play their own role. And while there are many other oils to consider, these are among the more popular options. One critical note to consider when applying essential oils internally is ensuring that they are of therapeutic, food grade quality. Oftentimes, cheaper oils are not recommended to consumer internally, as they can pose dangerous side effects.
Furthermore, even with a quality brand some oils are recommended only to be applied topically or aromatically. So be sure to do some research before applying them. Either way, as is the case with most products, potency and effectiveness are contingent on the quality and integrity of the brand.
- Fighting Five is a reminder that you possess a tough-as-nails spirit and nothing will hold you back....