Everything from pets to old smelly trash, removing odors from your house both safely and naturally can be quite the chore. Why must it be so difficult? Because it’s far too easy to skip on over to Walmart and pick up one of those chemical-ridden air fresheners. Indeed, while doing things the “natural way” may sound like the right thing to do, oftentimes it’s not quite as convenient. At least, it doesn’t seem to be.
You might not want to know what is in your typical bottle of Febreze, but we’ll tease you with a few unfortunate ingredients. Don’t worry, it’s for your own good. The types of chemicals that are used in these seemingly harmless bottles are alarming, to say the least. To be frank, they’re not safe and they’re certainly not organic. They are quite un-natural.
- A single bottle of Febreze contains a startling 87 different forms of chemicals.
- One chemical included is Gerinoil, which is a potent irritant to the skin and lungs.
- Another chemical used is 1,2-Dichloro-2-propanol, which has a known link to some forms of cancer.
For this very reason, more people are taking to organic, all natural odor eliminators.
A DIY odor remover
You can certainly find natural odor eliminators at your local grocery or department store. But our preference is one that not only removes yucky smells but at the same time purifies the air in our home. Maybe you’re already familiar. Maybe not. Regardless, essential oils offer a range of therapeutic benefits – far beyond simply “smelling pleasant.”
They work wonders as natural fragrances (hence, the reason we recommend them as odor removers), but they are quite versatile in their applications. There are two aromatherapy solutions we use when warding off bad odors. One, is lemon essential oil:
- Works wonders as a home sanitizer, oftentimes included in natural homemade cleaning products
- Provides a citrusy and soothing scent that can boost energy levels
- Has been known to help with things like indigestion.
In short, while lemon is a great organic air freshener, it has a whole lot more to offer.
The perfect aromatherapy blend
Another more potent solution is using an essential oil blend. An air-cleansing blend offers a therapeutic grade product that is formulated to eradicate odors naturally while purifying your home environment. Harboring a refreshing scent, it can offer a range of additional benefits – everything from an energy booster, organic cleaner, insect repellant, and more.
In applying essential oils there are a number of applications to consider:
- Run 2 to 4 drops of lemon or a blend in a diffuser and diffuse throughout your home.
- If you’re trying to eradicate bad odors in your vehicle, put a few drops on a cotton ball and put in your air vent.
- To eliminate odors from your clothing, pour 2 to 4 drops to the rinse cycle of your laundry load.
For other applications:
- Use a cotton ball or cue tip with a drop of oil for insect or mosquito bites.
- Apply a few drops to your wrists, feet, or neck to enhance energy and mental focus.
- Mix 3 to 5 drops with water and put in a spray bottle for a natural homemade sanitizer (great for cleaning your bathroom and counters!).