Looking for a natural substitute for Dramamine that can help with motion sickness and nausea? Traveling can already produce significant stress on the body, and this anxiety is only intensified when you have to worry about getting sick in the car, on an airplane, or through any other transportation medium. There are a number of holistic remedies, including essential oils (which we will outline later in this article), that can work as a great natural alternative to Dramamine.
These natural forms of traditional motion sickness drugs can help curb tension, soothe your stomach, and improve the overall experience of traveling.
- Motion sick? Hate long car rides? Joy Ride can help ease you through it and is highly effective when...
Natural Dramamine substitutes to prevent traveling woes
Before we get into what essential oils are good for motion sickness, consider these other natural alternatives to Dramamine.
- Acupuncture: Dating back to traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture helps balance the energy in your body. Nausea signifies a certain disharmony in the body. According to one study documented in the journal Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, acupressure on the wrists greatly reduced such nausea. An alternative to traditional acupuncture treatments, there are pressure point products available.
- Ginger: Like acupuncture, ginger has been used for centuries for various symptoms of nausea. In preparation for longer trips it is best to start taking ginger a day or two in advance. Ginger can be taken in the form of capsules, drinks, candy, and even raw.
- B Vitamins: Vitamin B6, in particular, is known for helping to treat against motion sickness. Start taking B Vitamin pills two to four days in advance before traveling – and continue until you return home.
- Homeopathic Drugs: While we are hardly experts in the science of homeopathy (you might want to check with an expert), many people find success with these natural drugs – as an alternative to traditional drugs like Dramamine. Two popular homeopathic motion sickness drugs are Hyland’s Motion Sickness and for more serious motion sickness, Cocculus Compositum.
- Ginger oil-suitable for body massage, is detected by professional bodies, it is safe and effective.
Using essential oils for motion sickness
In preparation for your travel, below are several essential oils to try out. Aromatherapy is a great natural alternative that many people use for motion sickness. You’ll want to experiment with these different aromatherapy options to find what works best for you – for instance, which ones best help in calming your nerves, lifting your mood, and settling your stomach.
You’ll be able to see from this list that there are no shortage of options when it comes to using essential oils for nausea. You’ll just want to see which ones you find most success with.
- Roman chamomile: Relaxing and replenishing
- Frankincense: Calming and clarifying
- Ginger: Helps with nausea and motion sickness
- Lavender: Soothing and balancing
- Orange: Peaceful and improved mood
- Peppermint: Cooling, stimulating, and helps curb motion sickness
- Vetiver: Calming and soothing
There are a number of ways to apply essential oils for motion sickness. Part of it depends on the timing of your trip. If possible, take a relaxing aromatherapy bath right before departure. This will curb discomfort and improve the overall pleasure of your trip.
- 100% NATURAL ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND - We do not claim that this product in any way will help with...
If a bath or shower isn’t an option, you can apply your chosen oil topically. Note that you may need to combine with a carrier oil, depending on the brand and/or sensitivity of your skin. For motion sickness and nausea, simply rub the oil behind your ears, neck, and stomach.