Extracted to a liquid form from a range of herbs, essential oils can be applied for a variety of health issues. And guess what, a thyroid problem is one of those issues. In addition to a range of foods you can consume for thyroid treatment – coconut oil, wild fish, fresh produce, etc. – essential oils can be great for thyroid regulation and nodules.
Several studies have revealed that essential oils can improve thyroid health and treat symptoms, thanks to numerous healthful properties. Learn about the best essential oils for thyroid regulation below.
Disclaimer: There are varying levels of thyroid problems, so be sure to consult a physician before relying solely on natural remedies.
- ESSENTIAL AROMATHERAPY - Lemon & Eucalyptus is clarifying, cleansing and invigorating with a...
The Causes of Thyroid Problems
Too much thyroid hormone spurs a condition known as hyperthyroidism. Insufficient hormone production is what causes hypothyroidism.
There are several types of hyperthyroidism, and all are due to an overproduction of thyroid hormones. However, the condition itself can surface in a number of ways:
- Too much thyroid hormone production can result in Graves’ disease.
- Nodules that build in the thyroid gland and secrete hormones can mix up the body’s chemical balance. This spurs on toxic adenomas.
- Inflammation encourages the thyroid to leak extra hormones, which produce temporary symptoms that can last anywhere from weeks to several months.
- While rare, hyperthyroidism can develop from cancerous growths or pituitary gland malfunctions.
Now, the causes of hypothyroidism:
- In the autoimmune disorder known as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, the body will assault the thyroid tissue, which eventually halts its production of hormones.
- Too much exposure to iodide can place you at hypothyroidism risk. Iodine can be found in heart medicines, cold medications, and dyes applied before X-rays.
- It is known that emotional disorder drugs like lithium can be a cause of hypothyroidism.
As you can see, there are many causes and symptoms of thyroid problems. Ideally, a natural remedy like essential oils can help with regulation.
- ASHWAGANDHA HELPS Reduce Stress and Anxiety
5 Best Essential Oils For Thyroid Problems
Thyroid issues can spark a range of symptoms, including fatigue, anxiety, chills, brain fog, weight gain, and even hair loss. Of course, there are many other symptoms associated with an unregulated thyroid. Fortunately, there is an essential oil you can use for the majority of these symptoms.
Here are our top five:
Lavender oil can help with stress, pain, hair loss, insomnia, and general restlessness. For optimal results, you can place a couple drops on your pillow, add a couple drops to a bath, or mix in your shampoo (depending on the symptom you’d like to treat).
What was once known as a luxury (you might have heard about it in the Bible), frankincense oil can help with anxiety, dry skin, and indigestion. Apply topically by rubbing on your wrists and neck. Or add a couple drops of food-grade frankincense oil to capsule and take orally to eliminate indigestion and balance your hormone levels.
Like lavender, peppermint is a quite versatile oil. It’s primary benefit is energy enhancement, helping to reduce fatigue and clear your mind. In addition, it has uplifting properties and digestive benefits. Apply topically by massaging the oil on your neck, wrists, and behind the ears. If you are using food-grade essential oils, you can add a drop or two to chamomile tea.
The main benefits of grapefruit oil are enhanced focus, faster metabolism, and decreased anxiety and depression – typical symptoms of an underactive thyroid. Apply the oil topically (using the methods listed above), or add a drop of food-grade oil to your tea of choice.
Addressing several symptoms of an underactive thyroid, rosemary oil can help decrease stress, curb hair loss, and relieve joint pain and inflammation. Apply the oil as we’ve outlined above, or combine with a different oil (such as lavender) to promote hair growth.
- 100% PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OILS: A collection of our finest oils, hand selected from all...
Bonus Tips For Treating Thyroid Irregulation
In addition to essential oils, there are a number of natural-minded tips for regulating thyroids. They include:
- Eat veggies: Sea vegetables, in particular, are a great source of natural iodine, which supports the thyroid. Kombu, kelp granules, and nori wrap are a few examples.
- Don’t throw out butter: Sure, you always hear about the “evils” of butter. Indeed, too much butter can be unhealthy. But the endocrine system loves butter. If you plan on cutting your general butter intake, add some grass-fed butter to your diet.
- Eat slower: The thyroid gland resides in the area of your throat. Quite literally, it is a link between your mind and body. By eating too quickly, the food that drifts from your mouth to stomach weakens this connection.
- Roll out the yoga mat: Yoga asanas can bolster the whole endocrine system. Practicing yoga on a regular basis helps stimulate the thyroid gland in a healthy manner.