Grapefruit essential oil is one of those products that possesses an abundance of healing properties for the mind and body. With its bright citrus scent, it can alleviate symptoms of anxiety and depression when it is inhaled through the nose. The oil’s germ-killing abilities are legendary. Grapefruit oil has even been proven to play a large role in weight loss. With such a wide variety of uses, grapefruit essential oil belongs in every medicine cabinet across the world.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil
1. Kiss Depression Goodbye with the Magic of Grapefruit
If you suffer from depression, you’re far from being the only one. In fact, about 350 million people worldwide experience some form of depression. This mood disorder ranges from mild to severe. Needless to say, it can make life unbearable. Anyone who suffers from depression deserves to find the right treatment in order to alleviate the potentially-crippling symptoms (source).
Millions of depression sufferers depend on antidepressant drugs that are prescribed by their doctor or psychiatrist. These drugs treat depression by altering the balance of chemicals in the brain. While these drugs are incredibly popular, they can also be extremely dangerous. Long-term effects of these drugs include chronic sleep disorders, brain damage and even suicide (source).
If you’re looking for a natural alternative to psychiatric drugs, aromatherapy is where it’s at. Grapefruit essential oil has been well-researched for its profound effect on depression. As a mental stimulant, grapefruit oil eradicates mental fatigue, negative thoughts and a lack of motivation. It improves overall mood and gives the brain a boost of energy. Simply inhaling the oil can dramatically reduce symptoms of depression without the side effects of popular antidepressant drugs (source).
Those who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder have found great relief by inhaling grapefruit essential oil daily. The mood-boosting effects are capable of counteracting the winter blues (source).
One study found that limonene, the leading chemical compound in grapefruit essential oil, can treat depression in menopausal women. Inhaling the oil allows its chemical compounds to essentially attach themselves to the brain. From there, they actually trigger the release of hormones that lift the mood. Inhaling the oil also raises energy levels. Those who suffer from depression experience a dramatic lack of energy, making this product a godsend (source).
The Oil Diffuser Method that Beats Depression Naturally
- Take the lid off of your oil diffuser. If you don’t have an oil diffuser in your possession, you can find one easily online.
- Pick up the tank of your oil diffuser in one hand and hold it right below the faucet of your sink. Then, turn on the faucet and fill the tank with water up to its maximum fill line.
- Set the oil diffuser down onto a nearby surface. Then, take off the cap of your grapefruit essential oil bottle.
- Hold the grapefruit essential oil bottle in one hand. Position it about two inches above the tank of the oil diffuser. Then, using your wrist, flip the bottle on its side.
- Tap the side of the grapefruit essential oil bottle lightly with your finger. Allow about five or six oil droplets to fall into the tank of the oil diffuser.
- Place the lid back onto the oil diffuser. Then, return the cap to the bottle of grapefruit essential oil.
- Plug the oil diffuser into an outlet. Place the oil diffuser onto a surface. Press the power button. Instantly, vapor should rush out of the spout of the oil diffuser and you should clearly smell grapefruit. Sit somewhere within five feet of the oil diffuser for at least thirty minutes. Because grapefruit essential oil has stimulating effects on the mind, it is recommended that you do this during the daytime. You may do this once each day.
2. Get Rid of Fungal Infections like Candida with this Natural Anti-Fungal Remedy
Grapefruit essential oil is renowned for its anti-fungal superpowers. Many studies have demonstrated just how powerful this product is when it comes to treating fungal infections of all kinds. Because grapefruit essential oil is safe to ingest, it can fight internal fungal infections like Candida with ease.
One study found that blending together orange and grapefruit essential oils creates a powerful anti-fungal remedy that can be used to fight fungal infections and also kill fungus that may exist in the home or on food (source).
Another study tested the anti-fungal powers of grapefruit oil on a variety of Candida strains. Candida is a chronic condition in which yeast flourishes inside of the body. This condition can wreak havoc on the digestive system, causing intestinal discomfort and constipation. Candida is also responsible for vaginal yeast infections that can be incredibly uncomfortable. This study found that grapefruit’s anti-fungal activity is potent enough to kill a large number of Candida strains (source).
The Fungus-Busting Massage Method for Healthy Skin
- Remove the cap from a bottle of carrier oil. For this application, a thin carrier oil works best. Olive oil is an excellent example.
- Take out a measuring cup. Pour about one fourth of a cup of your carrier oil into the measuring cup. To do this, lift the carrier oil bottle up with one hand and tilt it so that its spout is leaning toward the measuring cup.
- Pour the contents of the measuring cup into a small bowl.
- Unscrew the cap of your grapefruit essential oil bottle. Set the cap down somewhere that is close by. Pick up the bottle in one hand.
- Tilt the grapefruit essential oil bottle so that its mouth is facing the small bowl containing the carrier oil. Lightly tap the grapefruit essential oil bottle’s side a few times. Count as four drops of grapefruit oil fall into the carrier oil. Then, put the essential bottle down and return its cap.
- Use a fork or a whisk to stir the two oils together for about twenty seconds.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with warm water and soap to reduce the risk of contamination. Then, dip all ten fingertips into the oil mixture. Using small, circular motions, slowly massage the oil into the skin of the affected area. Do this for about one minute. You may do this twice each day.
The Candida-Fighting DIY Tonic for a Healthy Body
- Fill a tall drinking glass with about one and a half cups of water. You may use either filtered water or tap water.
- Take the cap off of the bottle of grapefruit essential oil. Place the cap down somewhere nearby. Pick up the bottle of grapefruit essential oil with one hand.
- Hold the bottle a few inches above the mouth of the drinking glass. Then, lean the oil bottle’s spout over the water. Gently tap the bottle’s side a couple of times with your index finger. Make sure that two drops of grapefruit essential oil land directly into the water. Then, put the bottle of essential oil down and put its cap back on.
- Use a spoon or whisk to stir together the water and the grapefruit oil. Stir for about fifteen seconds.
- Quickly consume the water and grapefruit essential oil mixture. Do this once each day until the fungal infection has been treated.
3. Eliminate Stress with the Fresh Scent of Citrus
It seems like in today’s society, it’s impossible to avoid surrendering to feelings of overwhelming stress on a daily basis. It’s perfectly natural to feel stressed out when juggling a job, a family, a social life and other important responsibilities. Although stress is a natural response to a demanding environment, that doesn’t mean that it’s healthy. One study fully examined the negative effects that stress has on a person’s health. Chronic stress can lead to digestive disorders, anxiety disorders, heart troubles and even death (source).
Stress triggers the release of a hormone called cortisol from the brain. This hormone encourages the nervous system to react as though its host is in serious danger, causing a person’s heart rate to increase, their breathing to become more rapid and their adrenal glands to release adrenaline. When a person is chronically stressed, this high level of cortisol is extremely taxing on the body.
Needless to say, any person who experiences stress on a regular basis needs to find a solution that will promote a more calm and collected state. Fortunately, aromatherapy has been used for thousands of years to stop stress dead in its tracks. Grapefruit essential oil is particularly helpful when it comes to lowering stress levels.
As a stimulant, grapefruit essential oil boosts the brain’s cognitive function, giving it the energy that it needs to process feelings of stress and negative thoughts. The oil also has the unique ability to uplift the mood, giving the brain a sense of overall well-being (source).
The Quick and Safe Inhalation Method for Anxiety Relief
- Twist off the cap of the bottle of grapefruit essential oil.
- Pick the grapefruit essential oil bottle up with one hand.
- Press the spout of the grapefruit oil bottle against the opening of one nostril.
- Close your eyes and take deep, slow breaths for about thirty seconds. Your nervous system should quickly slow down and your mind should feel clearer. You may repeat this as many times as you wish.
The Stress-Eating Oil Diffuser Method for a Clear and Calm Mind
- Lift the lid off of the water chamber of your oil diffuser. Place the lid somewhere that is nearby.
- Pick up the tank of the oil diffuser, gripping it firmly with one hand. Then, hold the tank right below your sink’s faucet. Turn the faucet on and fill the tank to the top with water, being careful not to exceed the maximum fill line.
- Put the diffuser onto a surface. If your oil diffuser has a removable tank, reattach it to the diffuser.
- Take the cap off of the bottle of grapefruit essential oil. Firmly grip the bottle in one hand and flip it upside-down. Then, position the grapefruit oil bottle in a way that places its spout about two inches above the tank.
- Shake the bottle of grapefruit essential oil up and down. Count as five or six drops land into the water inside the oil diffuser’s tank. Then, put the bottle of grapefruit oil down and screw its cap back on.
- Put the lid back onto the oil diffuser. Then, move your diffuser into the room that you will be occupying.
- Plug the diffuser into an outlet. Set the diffuser down onto a surface. Press the power button. Right away, you should smell grapefruit and see a steady stream of vapor coming out of the oil diffuser. Sit within five feet of the diffuser, taking deep breaths. Try to remain there for at least twenty minutes.
4. Give Your Immune System a Much-Needed Boost with Vitamin C
In order to fight off diseases, the body requires a high level of vitamin C. This essential nutrient is full of antioxidants that preserve the health of the cells in the body, allowing the immune system to focus all of its energy on fighting off infections. Many studies have extensively researched the relationship between vitamin C intake and the functionality of the immune system (source).
When the body is depleted of vitamin C, a condition called scurvy negatively impacts one’s health. Symptoms like bleeding gums, intense fatigue and poor mood are all caused by a vitamin C deficiency.
If you supplement your vitamin C intake with tablets that you get at the local vitamin store, you may be doing yourself a disservice. New research shows that vitamins that are ingested in the form of pills don’t necessarily work. The ingredients used to produce that hard coating can actually prevent the vitamin from fully absorbing into the body. Plus, the vitamin industry is severely lacking in regulations. Therefore, your bottle of vitamin C pills may actually contain ingredients that are bad for your overall health (source).
If you want to get your daily dose of vitamin C without taking pills, try drinking a few drops of grapefruit essential oil each day. Packed with vitamin C, this product will ensure that you get plenty of that crucial nutrient without any of the additives found in most commercial vitamin tablets.
The Once-A-Day Oral Method for Boosting Your Overall Health
- Hold a medium-sized drinking glass directly below the faucet of your sink. Turn the faucet to fill the glass with water. You may also use filtered water.
- Place the glass down on the counter. Then, untwist the cap of your grapefruit essential oil bottle. Put the cap down somewhere that is close by.
- Pick up the bottle of grapefruit essential oil in one hand and turn it on its side. Lean the spout of the grapefruit oil bottle over the mouth of the drinking glass.
- With your finger, lightly hit the side of the grapefruit essential oil bottle. Do this a couple of times until two full drops of grapefruit essential oil land in the water.
- Put the bottle of grapefruit essential oil down and screw its cap back on.
- Using a whisk or a spoon, stir together the water and grapefruit essential oil for approximately fifteen seconds.
- Drink the entire contents of the glass in less than ten minutes. You may do this once each day. It is recommended that you consume vitamin C on a full stomach. Otherwise, you may experience minor stomach discomfort.
5. Fight Acne without Putting Toxic Chemicals on Your Skin
Acne is one of those conditions that leaves the sufferer feeling incredibly self-conscious. Often, acne sufferers feel hopeless as they try one product after another with zero results. One of the problems with commercial acne products is that they can actually aggravate this pesky skin condition. Most commercial skincare brands use cheap filler products in order to lower their manufacturing costs. Many of these filler ingredients are known irritants that attempt to kill acne by drying out the skin. Unfortunately, these filler ingredients can cause irritation so severe that the acne sufferer is left with unsightly scarring (source).
Plus, many topical acne creams contain ingredients like parabens that congest the pores even further, resulting in more breakouts. Because acne is an infection of the pores on the face, a product that kills bacteria without irritating the skin or clogging the pores is required.
Grapefruit essential oil has what it takes to eradicate acne for good (source). This inexpensive product contains high levels of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activity. In fact, the antibacterial powers of grapefruit essential oil are well-documented. These antibacterial properties kill the bacteria that is causing the acne. Then, the oil’s anti-inflammatory properties soothe skin inflammation, quickly reducing redness and swelling of the pores (source).
Plus, grapefruit oil’s vitamin C levels make it rich in antioxidants. When applied to the skin, antioxidants protect the health of the skin cells, preventing scars from developing. Therefore, the application of grapefruit essential oil will both kill acne and prevent embarrassing acne scars from maiming your complexion forever.
The Quick Spot Treatment for Pesky Pimples
- Twist the cap off of your bottle of grapefruit essential oil.
- Pick up a clean and unused cotton swab with one hand. Pick up the bottle of grapefruit essential oil with the other hand.
- Press the cotton end of the swab firmly against the grapefruit essential oil bottle’s spout. Then, use your wrist to flip the bottle upside-down, making sure that the cotton swab is still pressed firmly against the spout of the bottle.
- Gently tap the top of the grapefruit essential oil bottle with your finger. Do this a couple of times. Quickly, the cotton swab will be fully saturated with grapefruit essential oil.
- Put the grapefruit oil bottle down and put its cap back on.
- Firmly press the oil-soaked cotton swab against the pimple. Hold it there for twenty seconds. You may do this twice each day until the pimple is gone.
The Natural DIY Face Oil Method for Clear and Radiant Skin
- Into a small bowl, pour about three tablespoons of a carrier oil that has a thin consistency. For the face, jojoba oil and argan oil work very well. To measure out three tablespoons, grab a measuring spoon in one hand and the bottle of carrier oil in the other. Lift the lid off of the carrier oil bottle and tilt it toward the measuring spoon.
- Twist the cap off of the grapefruit essential oil bottle. Then, pick the bottle up in one hand and flip it so that its spout is facing down. Position the bottle right above the bowl containing the carrier oil.
- Gently shake the bottle of grapefruit essential oil. Allow about eight drops to fall into the carrier oil.
- Use a small whisk or a fork to stir the two oils together for about twenty seconds.
- Fold a small cotton cloth a few times and submerge it beneath the surface of the oil mixture. Let it stay there for a few seconds before pulling it out. The cloth should be completely saturated with oil.
- Thoroughly cleanse your face. Then, lie on your back and unfold the cloth. Lay the cloth on your face and press down on it with your hands. Leave the cloth on your face for five minutes.
- Take the cloth off. There should be a thin layer of oil on your face. Massage the oil into the skin using your hands. Do this until the oil has been completely absorbed into your skin.
6. Beat Fatigue with this Safe and Natural Stimulant
Do you struggle to harness the levels of energy required to get through your day? Most people rely on several cups of coffee throughout the day in order to stay focused and energized. Of course, excessive caffeine levels can cause all kinds of negative side effects like nausea, hypertension and anxiety (source).
If you need a boost of energy during the day, try sniffing some grapefruit oil instead. The oil’s ability to stimulate the mind is nothing short of incredible. In one study, rats were administered grapefruit essential oil via inhalation. The study found that rats who inhaled grapefruit oil had more physical energy and their cognitive function increased (source).
Grapefruit essential oil can boost cognitive function, alertness and overall mood without the side effects of caffeine and other popular stimulants. By inhaling the oil, you don’t have to worry about overdosing. Grapefruit essential oil is a completely safe product to use when you’re experiencing a lack of motivation and energy.
The Mind-Boosting Quick Inhalation Method for Combating Fatigue
- Untwist the cap from your grapefruit essential oil bottle. Then, pick the bottle up with one hand.
- Hold the bottle of grapefruit essential oil right below one nostril. Take deep breaths slowly for about thirty seconds. Quickly, you should feel the oil’s stimulating effects taking place. You may do this whenever your brain is in need of a boost.
7. Lose Weight Fast in a Safe and Natural Way
If you’re trying to lose weight, the last thing that you want to do is attempt a new fad diet or turn to diet pills. Fad diets have been proven time and time again to only work temporarily. Meanwhile, diet pills can cause serious side effects like hypertension and dehydration (source).
Luckily, grapefruit essential oil is a totally safe, inexpensive and natural weight loss remedy that actually works. One study proved that grapefruit oil can reduce abdominal fat when massaged into the skin (source). Through the pores of the skin, the oil’s natural enzymes enter the bloodstream and literally dissolve fat cells. When applied topically, the oil also boosts lymphatic function, helping to eliminate toxins that cause fat cells to build up in the tissues of the body (source).
Grapefruit oil has also been proven to improve insulin resistance. This allows the body to burn sugar more quickly, preventing it from turning into fat cells (source).
Interestingly, one study found that the act of smelling grape fruit essential oil can aid in weight loss as well. According to the study, the limonene in grapefruit essential oil has the ability to curb sugar cravings (source).
The Simple Inhalation Method that Beats Cravings Instantly
- Twist the cap off of a bottle of grapefruit essential oil. Set the cap down somewhere nearby.
- Pick the bottle of grapefruit oil up with one hand. Then, hold the bottle right below one nostril.
- Breathe deeply and slowly through your nose for thirty seconds. You should feel the craving quickly dissipate. You may do this whenever you are experiencing an intense craving.
The Daily Tonic Method for a Fast Metabolism
- Fill a drinking glass with about eight ounces of either tap or filtered water.
- Pick up the bottle of grapefruit essential oil after removing its cap. Angle the bottle so that its mouth is facing the glass of water.
- Tap the side of the bottle a couple of times. This will release about two drops of grapefruit oil into the water.
- With a spoon, stir the oil and water together for about fifteen seconds.
- Drink the water and grapefruit oil mixture. Do this once each day, preferably in the morning.
8. Treat a Debilitating Hangover with Delicious Grapefruit
Grapefruit essential oil can take care of the unwanted symptoms of a hangover. The oil is a natural diuretic that helps filter the alcohol out of your system more quickly. The oil also stimulates the lymphatic system, helping the body eliminate alcohol, a toxin, out of the body. Plus, the oil stimulates liver function, helping to break down the alcohol’s compounds that leave you feeling miserable (source).
Additionally, the high vitamin C content in grapefruit oil will help you feel better in no time. Vitamin C has antioxidants that fight the free radicals that damage the body’s cells when alcohol is consumed. This boosts the immune system’s ability to heal the body after a long night of partying.
The Easy Ingestion Method that Kills Hangovers Quickly
- Pour about one cup of water into a clean drinking glass. Either filtered water or tap water will work fine.
- Twist the cap off of the grapefruit oil bottle and hold it upside-down. Position the bottle right above the glass of water.
- Tap the bottle’s side with your finger so that about two drops fall into the water.
- Stir the oil and water together for about fifteen seconds.
- Drink the contents of the glass in under one minute. Do this as soon as you wake up for the best results.
9. Fight Potentially-Dangerous Bacterial Infections
When you have a bacterial infection, you most likely visit the doctor in order to receive prescription antibiotic drugs. These drugs effectively kill bacteria within the body. However, these bacteria-fighting drugs aren’t necessarily healthy. Studies have found that overexposure to antibiotic drugs causes the body to develop a resistance, preventing them from working again in the future. Antibiotics drugs are also known to cause poor gut health as the healthy bacteria that line the intestines are killed, throwing the digestive system completely out of whack.
Grapefruit essential oil, on the other hand, can kill an enormous variety of bacteria without damaging your health in any way. The unique chemical composition of this oil gives it the ability to tackle all kinds of illnesses that are caused by bacteria. Various studies have demonstrated the oil’s effect on harmful bacterial infections (source).
Another study suggests that grapefruit essential oil can effectively kill strains of bacteria that are resistant to prescription antibiotic medications (source).
The Topical Application Method for Bacterial Infections of the Skin
- Remove the cap from your grapefruit oil bottle.
- Place the head of a cotton swab firmly against the spout of the bottle.
- Flip the bottle of oil upside-down with the head of the cotton swab still pressed against the bottle’s spout. Gently hit the top of the bottle with your finger until the cotton swab is soaked with grapefruit oil.
- Dab the oil-soaked cotton swab directly onto the affected area for about twenty seconds. You may do this up to three times each day.
The Safe Ingestion Method that Kills Infections Naturally
- Pour about eight ounces of water into a medium-sized drinking glass.
- Take the cap off of the bottle of grapefruit oil. Hold the bottle on its side in one hand. Position the nozzle of the bottle about two inches away from the surface of the water.
- Very gently jiggle the bottle until two full drops of grapefruit essential oil land in the water.
- Stir the oil and water together for fifteen seconds.
- Drink the contents of the glass. You may do this once every day.
10. Improve Your Skin’s Appearance Virtually Overnight with Vitamin C
Grapefruit essential oil is a miracle product for any skincare junkie. The secret behind the oil’s ability to beautify the complexion has everything to do with its high level of vitamin C. Today, vitamin C serums are a staple of every skincare regimen. Many of these vitamin C serums, however, are extremely expensive. Also, they often contain cheap filler ingredients that can harm sensitive skin.
If you’re concerned about sun damage, grapefruit oil can help. While the oil will not protect the skin against skin cancer like sunscreen can, it will diminish the appearance of sun damage by evening out pigmentation and plumping up fine lines and wrinkles (source).
The antioxidants in vitamin C improve the complexion immensely. For one thing, they promote the production of collagen, a protein that helps skin maintain its elasticity. As we age, our collagen production diminishes, resulting in lines and wrinkles. By massaging grapefruit oil into the skin, you can give it back its youthful, plump appearance. Vitamin C serum also fades dark spots on the face, brightening the complexion while making it smell amazing (source).
The Easy DIY Facial Mist for Enhancing Your Beauty
- Purchase a spray bottle that can hold ten ounces of liquid. Remove the bottle’s spray nozzle and rinse the inside of the bottle thoroughly with hot water to ensure that it is completely clean.
- Place a funnel into the mouth of the spray bottle.
- Use a measuring cup to measure three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Pour the vinegar into the spray bottle. This product has many skin-enhancing properties. If you do not like to use apple cider vinegar on your skin, you may omit this step.
- Fill the spray bottle to the top with water. You may use tap or filtered water. Then, remove the funnel from the bottle’s mouth.
- Pour about ten drops of grapefruit essential oil into the spray bottle. To do this, simply shake the bottle while holding it upside-down above the mouth of the spray bottle.
- Screw the nozzle tightly onto the spray bottle. Shake the spray bottle for about thirty seconds.
- Spray this natural facial mist onto your face twice each day. Do not rinse it off.
11. Say Goodbye to Fluid Retention with this Natural Diuretic
Are you tired of dealing with fluid retention? Grapefruit essential oil can help. Excessive fluid retention can cause all kinds of unpleasant symptoms such as bloating and even chronic urinary tract infections. Grapefruit essential oil is a natural and safe diuretic that encourages the kidneys to eliminate excess waste, triggering urination (source).
The DIY Oral Tonic that Boosts Urination
- Fill a clean glass with one and a half cups of either tap or filtered water.
- Remove the cap from your grapefruit oil bottle before picking the bottle up with one hand. Hold the bottle at an angle so that its spout is facing down.
- Holding the grapefruit oil bottle right above the drinking glass, shake out about two drops of grapefruit essential oil into the water.
- Stir the oil and water together with a spoon for fifteen seconds.
- Drink the water and oil mixture in less than ten minutes. Do this once each day.
12. Treat All Kinds of Inflammation without Risky Medications
Grapefruit essential oil, like most essential oils, has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can be applied in a variety of ways. The oil lowers inflammation by stimulating blood flow to the affected area, boosting the immune system’s ability to fight inflammation and easing tense muscle tissue.
Because grapefruit oil can be safely ingested, it can treat internal inflammation. Chronic inflammatory conditions like arthritis and IBS can be treated with just a few drops of the oil each day (source).
In one study, grapefruit oil was administered to rats (source). The study found that the oil’s limonene is responsible for the significant reduction of inflammation throughout the body. Another study found that grapefruit essential oil dramatically reduced inflammation in mice (source).
The Massage Oil Method for Treating Pain
- Purchase a squeeze bottle that can contain up to twenty ounces of liquid. Make sure that the bottle is clean.
- Take the lid off of the squeeze bottle. Then, place a funnel in its mouth.
- Pick up a bottle of a carrier oil in one hand. Select a carrier oil that has a thin consistency. Tilt the bottle over the funnel and fill the squeeze bottle to the top. Take the funnel out.
- Take the cap off of the bottle of grapefruit essential oil. Pick the bottle up and flip it so that its spout is facing the ground. Then, hold the bottle above the mouth of the squeeze bottle.
- Shake the bottle of grapefruit essential oil until thirty drops fall into the carrier oil. Then, put the cap back onto the essential oil bottle and set it down.
- Put the lid back on the squeeze bottle and pick the bottle up with one hand. Shake it for fifty seconds.
- Pour about one tablespoon of the oil mixture into your palm. Rub your palms together and slowly massage the affected area until the oil has been completely absorbed into the skin.
The Drinkable Grapefruit Tonic that Fights Inflammatory Conditions of All Kinds
- Take out a clean drinking glass that can fit eight ounces of liquid.
- Hold the glass right below your sink’s faucet. Turn the faucet on to fill the glass with water. You may also use filtered water.
- Remove the cap from your grapefruit essential oil bottle and set it aside. Then, pick the bottle up and tilt it sideways.
- Lightly tap the bottle’s side with your finger so that about two drops fall into the glass of water. Then, put the bottle down.
- Stir the grapefruit oil and water together with a spoon or fork for fifteen seconds.
- Drink the tonic quickly. Do this once each day.
13. Take Care of Respiratory Troubles with Soothing Grapefruit Oil
Grapefruit essential oil possesses many healing properties that can tackle respiratory issues. The oil’s high vitamin C content helps give the immune system the boost that it needs to fight off viruses and bacterial infections that affect the respiratory tract. Additionally, the oil has high levels of antibacterial activity. When inhaled, the oil can kill bacteria along the digestive tract, preventing an infection from becoming serious (source).
The oil’s anti-inflammatory properties are so strong that just a few whiffs of the oil can reduce inflammation along the respiratory tract dramatically. When the respiratory tract is inflamed, the throat becomes sore, swollen and red. The anti-inflammatory compounds of grapefruit essential oil can attach themselves to the tissue of the throat through inhalation, dramatically reducing the symptoms of an infection such as a sore throat and excessive phlegm.
The Easy Inhalation Method that Boosts Your Respiratory Health
- Fill your bathtub with warm water by turning the faucet. The water should be warm enough to produce steam.
- While the water is still pouring into the tub, take the cap off of the bottle of grapefruit essential oil and hold the bottle in one hand.
- Position the grapefruit oil bottle over the tub. Flip the bottle upside-down and shake it vigorously. Allow approximately twenty drops to land into the water. Then, put the grapefruit bottle down and screw its cap back on.
- Soak in the tub for about twenty minutes, breathing slowly and deeply. Do this once each day.
The DIY Massage Oil that Clears Your Airways Quickly
- Use a measuring cup to measure out one fourth of a cup of a carrier oil. The type of oil that works best for this application has a consistency that is on the thin side. Olive oil works very well.
- Pour the carrier oil into a small bowl.
- Pick up your grapefruit essential oil bottle in one hand after removing its cap. Hold the bottle on its side and tilt it so that its spout faces the bowl.
- Tap the side of the bottle until eight drops of grapefruit essential oil fall into the bowl.
- Use a fork or a whisk to stir the two oils together for twenty seconds.
- Dip your fingertips into the bowl. Then, use small circular motions to thoroughly massage this oil mixture into the skin of your chest. You should smell the aroma of grapefruit instantly. Take long, deep breaths for twenty minutes. You may do this twice each day.
14. Boost Your Oral Health with Delicious, Fresh Citrus
The germ-fighting power of grapefruit essential oil can be applied to your oral health. The antibacterial and antimicrobial abilities of the oil can prevent oral infections, kill the germs that cause bad breath and prevent common oral health problems like periodontal disease and cavities. Plus, the oil’s anti-inflammatory abilities can soothe inflamed gums. Grapefruit essential oil’s refreshing citrus taste allows it to act as a tasty mouthwash that will leave your tongue feeling fresh and clean (source).
The Daily Oral Rinse Method for Healthy Teeth and Gums
- Hold a measuring cup directly beneath the faucet of your sink. Turn the faucet on and fill the measuring cup with one fourth of a cup of water. You may choose to use filtered water instead. Then, pour the water into a small drinking glass.
- Untwist the cap from your grapefruit essential oil bottle. Set the cap down somewhere nearby.
- Pick up the grapefruit essential oil bottle in your hand and angle it so that its mouth is leaning toward the water inside of the glass.
- Gently tap the bottle’s side a couple of times, allowing about four drops of grapefruit essential oil to fall into the water.
- Stir the oil and water together with a spoon for about fifteen seconds.
- Throw back this mixture quickly and swish it around your mouth for one minute. Then, spit the mixture out into a nearby sink. You may do this twice each day.
15. Disinfect Your Home without Toxic Chemicals
As we’ve already stated, grapefruit essential oil boasts powerful antibacterial, anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties. Therefore, it’s the perfect product for cleaning and disinfecting your home. By making a homemade cleaning spray with grapefruit essential oil, you’ll be able to disinfect counter tops, get rid of mold that develops in the bathroom and cut through grease that builds up on surfaces over time.
As a bonus, using grapefruit essential oil to clean your home will fill the air with a pleasant citrusy aroma. We’ve mentioned how grapefruit oil has a profoundly positive effect on one’s mental health. When you clean with grapefruit essential oil, you also reap the mood-boosting benefits that the oil possesses.
The Easy Household Cleaner that Kills Germs and Freshens the Air
- Purchase a spray bottle that can hold up to twenty ounces of fluid.
- Remove the cap of the spray bottle with a twisting motion. Then, grab the neck of the bottle firmly in one hand and hold it under your faucet. Rinse it once with hot water. Then, fill it halfway with water.
- Place a funnel into the bottle’s opening. Fill the remaining half of the spray bottle with white distilled vinegar.
- Remove the funnel. Then, take the cap off of the grapefruit oil bottle. Pick the bottle up and flip it upside-down.
- Position the grapefruit essential oil bottle’s mouth right above the opening of the spray bottle. Shake the grapefruit essential oil bottle aggressively to release thirty drops of oil into the spray bottle. Then, put the essential oil bottle down and return its cap.
- Screw the spray spout back onto the spray bottle. Make sure that it is screwed on tightly.
- Pick the spray bottle up and shake it vigorously for fifty seconds.
- Use this homemade cleaner liberally throughout your home.
16. Achieve the Softest, Shiniest Hair Imaginable with this Natural Hair Tonic
With its wide array of health benefits, it’s no surprise that grapefruit essential oil can tremendously improve one’s hair. For one thing, the oil can effectively treat dandruff by reducing inflammation and irritation while killing any fungus or bacteria that is responsible for the condition (source).
Grapefruit essential oil can clean dirt and get rid of excess oil thanks to limonene, its leading chemical compound. In fact, it is this compound that explains why so many commercial hair products contain citrus extracts. Additionally, the oil’s fresh scent will leave your hair smelling clean and fragrant. It is also widely believed that grapefruit oil gives hair a shiny appearance and improves hair’s overall texture.
Most interesting, however, is grapefruit oil’s role in treating hair loss. The oil has been found to stimulate hair growth when applied directly to the scalp. The oil can fight inflammation of the follicles, a common culprit behind premature hair loss. The oil also boosts circulation, stimulating hair production by dilating the blood vessels on the scalp (source).
The Wonderful-Smelling Grapefruit Spray that Gives You Gorgeous Hair
- Purchase a clean and unused spray bottle that can hold twenty ounces of liquid. Twist off the bottle’s spray spout. Rinse the bottle out thoroughly with hot water.
- Fill the spray bottle to the top with water. Alternatively, you may use raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. This type of vinegar is very beneficial to the hair, alleviating irritation and inflammation while giving each strand a boost of shine.
- After removing the bottle’s cap, pick up your grapefruit essential oil and hold it upside-down. Position the spout of the bottle directly above the mouth of the spray bottle. Shake the grapefruit oil bottle up and down, counting as around thirty drops fall into the spray bottle. Then, put the essential oil bottle down and put its cap back on.
- Tightly screw the spray spout back onto the spray bottle. Pick the spray bottle up and shake it for about fifty seconds.
- Use this spray on your hair once each day. To ensure that the essential oil reaches all of the hair follicles, massage the liquid into the scalp after applying it liberally.
17. Give Your Food a Twist of Citrus Flavor
Because grapefruit essential oil is safe to ingest, you can add it to your food and beverages. The oil will provide your meals with a fresh twist of citrus while its astounding number of healing properties will get to work inside of your body.
The Easy Drop Method that Boosts Flavor
- Remove the cap from your bottle of grapefruit essential oil. Place the cap down somewhere nearby.
- Once you have made your plate of food, pick up the bottle of grapefruit oil and hold it on its side. Make sure that the bottle’s spout is leaning over your meal. Then, tap the bottle’s side a couple of times so that two or three drops fall directly onto your food. You may also add the oil to various dishes like salad dressings, pesto and rice. However, do not heat the food once you have added the grapefruit essential oil. Otherwise, its healing properties will evaporate.
FAQ About Grapefruit Essential Oil
What is Grapefruit Essential Oil?
Grapefruit essential oil is derived from the rinds of the grapefruit. This popular fruit belongs to the citrus family and thrives in subtropical regions. The fruit and its oil have been consumed around the world for centuries.
Uses of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil has a significant number of uses. The oil’s antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties give it the ability to heal a wide range of health ailments. The oil’s stimulant properties have been found to increase energy, alleviate depression and calm stress, making it a popular oil for aromatherapeutic purposes. Grapefruit essential oil is also used in various cleaning products and beauty products. Additionally, the oil is sometimes used to enhance the flavor of food thanks to its tart citrus taste.
Composition of Grapefruit Essential Oil
The chemical compounds of grapefruit essential oil are a-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, limonene, geraniol, linalool, citronellal, decyl acetate, neryl acetate and terpinen-4-ol.
How to Make Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil is extracted from grapefruit rinds using the cold-pressing process. The rinds are pressed until the oil separates from the solid rinds. It is then collected and bottled.
Does Grapefruit Essential Work?
Grapefruit essential oil has been proven by countless scientific studies to effectively treat a wide range of ailments. The oil has also been proven to improve hair and skin, treat mood disorders, disinfect objects and kill fungus.
How to Take It
Grapefruit essential oil is one of a handful of oils that is completely safe to ingest. However, it should be diluted in a liquid before it’s consumed. The oil can be applied directly to the skin. It can also be inhaled liberally.
Children can ingest grapefruit essential oil in order to treat an internal infection or reduce inflammation. The oil can also be ingested as a vitamin C supplement. Grapefruit oil may be applied to the skin of children who are not allergic to the fruit. The oil may also be inhaled in order to reduce stress, anxiety and depression and boost energy levels.
Adults can ingest grapefruit essential oil as long as there is no allergy present. The oil may ingested to treat a wide range of health conditions. When applied to the skin, the oil can improve the complexion and eliminate pain caused by inflammation. When inhaled, the oil will treat a variety of mood disorders.
Is Grapefruit Essential Oil Safe?
As long as you aren’t allergic to grapefruit essential oil, it’s safe to use. It can be ingested in small quantities. It is also safe to apply grapefruit oil to the skin and to inhale.
Side Effects of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Some studies have found a possible link between excessive consumption of grapefruit and breast cancer. This is because grapefruit can increase estrogen levels in the body. When applied to the skin, grapefruit essential oil may make some people more sensitive to sunlight (source).
When ingested, grapefruit essential oil may slow down the body’s process of breaking down certain medications. Therefore, if you are on a medication, it is wise to ask your doctor whether or not it is safe for you to ingest grapefruit essential oil (source).
Grapefruit essential oil is probably safe to use when pregnant.
Grapefruit essential oil is safe for children who are not allergic to grapefruit.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Facts
Botanical name: Citrus paradisi
Common method of extraction: cold-pressing
Plant part typically used: rinds
Color: light amber or light yellow
Consistency: very thin
Strength of aroma: medium
Aromatic scent: citrus
Blends well with: lemon, orange, rosemary
Where can I buy Grapefruit Essential Oil?
Grapefruit essential oil is likely sold in stores that sell essential oils. Some grocery stores may carry grapefruit oil. Additionally, the oil can be found online.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits Infographic
Grapefruit essential oil is a powerful product that can heal everything from a sore throat to depression. With so many healing properties, this oil is a product that will transform your life.
Do you use grapefruit essential oil for its health benefits? Let us know about your experiences with grapefruit oil in the comments section below!