Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) has become all too common. The numbers are staggering. In fact, CDC surveys reveal that about 11 percent of children age 4 to 17 years old have been diagnosed with the disorder. This has led to the over-medication of a significant portion of today’s youths.
And, of course, a good chunk of the adult population suffers from the disorder as well – making it difficult to work and even do common household tasks.
While we would always recommend consulting a doctor before making any serious health considerations, natural ADHD remedies like essential oils can be highly effective at curbing some of the most common symptoms. This may include everything from focus to fatigue to concentration and hyperactivity.
Best Essential Oils For ADHD
ADHD often brings on anxiety, which can stimulate fatigue, inattention, poor memory, and depression. A lack of concentration and mental focus can be especially detrimental to children, during the early years of educational development. After all, the inability to focus can make it difficult to learn new skills.
There are several natural applications that can focus the brain in many advantageous areas, without exposing the body to harmful chemicals. Essential oils is one of the most popular “modern” alternatives (even though aromatherapy has been used for centuries for its therapeutic treatment properties).
First, here are some great oils that can be used on their own to ward off fatigue and relieve symptoms of ADHD:
- Orange: Containing aldehydes and pinenes, orange can stimulate happy emotions while enhancing the central nervous system.
- Lavender: With sedative benefits, lavender helps relax the mind, increase mood, and provide euphoric benefits.
- Roman chamomile: Used centuries ago by Roman soldiers (hence, the name of the oil), chamomile offers a feeling of courage and security.
- Vetiver: One of the most commonly talked about oils for ADHD, vetiver has an intense “grounding quality.” In addition to be used for focus, it can be used for anxiety and insomnia.
- Frankincense: Used as far back as Bible times, frankincense invigorates the limbic system, which is the memory center of the mind. It has peaceful qualities that can also help with stress and depression.
- Peppermint: In addition to a range of other benefits (tummy issues, respiratory problems, etc.), peppermint helps fights off fatigue by providing an instant boost of energy.
Aromatherapy Blend Recipes For Focus
While the essential oils listed above can work wonders for focus and concentration, you can enhance these benefits by blending several of the oils together. This focus and energizing blend helps improve attention while creating healthier thought processes.
Great for both adults and children (2 years or older), concoct your own DIY essential oil ADHD recipe with the following ingredients:
- 40 drops of lavender
- 40 drops of orange
- 30 drops of frankincense
- 30 drops of chamomile
- 30 drops of bergamot
- 20 drops of vetiver
- 20 drops of sandalwood
Combine all of the ingredients into a glass 15 ml bottle. Note that this is a purely undiluted blend.
How to Apply
Now that you have your blend completed, you’ll need to know how to best apply them. Here are two ways to apply them. The first way is to diffuse the oil. Pour 4 to 6 drops of the blend into an aromatherapy diffuser and fill the rest with water. Run the diffuser in your living room or office space to enhance focus.
If you are unable to use a diffuser, another way to apply the blend is topically. When doing so, be sure to mix with a carrier oil (coconut, jojoba, etc.). Dilute three to four drops with your chosen carrier oil and apply to your wrists and back of your neck.
Wrapping it Up
Essential oils have worked wonders in the lives of those that suffer from ADHD. They relax the body, calm the mind, and relieve the stressors and mental roadblocks in life. Whether you are a student looking to ace a test, or an office rat trying to get through Excel spreadsheets, you might try a natural remedy before resorting to traditional ADHD drugs.
With exception to more extreme cases, the signs and symptoms of this disease are workable without the use of medications. And not to mention, without all the debilitating side effects!