It’s that time of the year, when all forms of sickness creep up on us. And, unfortunately, this time of illness often lines up with the holidays. It always seems to come at the worst of times. There are certainly preventative measures you can take to avoid sickness, but sometimes the inevitable does happen. But this season, try out an essential oil bath for congestion, colds, sinus infections, and even flu symptoms – and get to feeling better before the holidays.
There are a number of aromatherapy products you can incorporate into a detox bath. Essential oil bath salts, beads, and even oils straight from the bottle can work wonders for coughs, congestion, and other symptoms. You can even mix your own DIY homemade essential oil blend for your cold and flu bath. This is a natural way to ward off illness that helps you avoid the use of traditional cold medicines (which contain potentially harmful chemicals).
Essential oils detox bath recipes for congestion and sinus relief
Essential oil baths for congestion and sinus issues are a common, and growingly popular, natural remedy. Using aromatherapy solutions is among the most effective DIY recipes to relieve a range of cold symptoms. Not only can essential oils baths provide initial relief, it can also help in recovering from an illness more quickly.
In addition to the more direct symptoms you may be dealing with – headache, congestion, sore throat, etc. – aromatherapy baths can also help with the additional “side effects” that often creep in.
For instance, it can be difficult to relax when you are experiencing pain and other discomfort. Sinus congestion and a sore throat may induce anxiety, as well as keep you up at night. An effective home remedy is to add in calming oils that will relax both your mind and body. Here are our two favorite single oils:
- Peppermint: Helps clear up congestion, while providing relief from cold headaches and sinus pain.
- Lavender: Calms the body and mind, helping you to relax and sleep better at night (adequate sleep is critical to healing quickly!).
An aromatherapy “blend” bath for colds
In addition to these single oils, you could also try a blended essential oil bath recipe. Providing similar benefits to peppermint and lavender, here are two blends we recommend:
- Respiratory blend: This is a blend that helps with congestion steady breathing. It also assists in healthy respiratory function by preventing various seasonal threats. You can craft this essential oil blend with peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, and melaleuca.
- Calming blend: This blend offers sedative benefits to help relax the mind and body. With a meticulous formula of oils, it promotes a sense of peace and tranquility. Oils include lavender, chamomile, ylang ylang, and marjoram.
Feel free to mix and match various oils to form your own blends. If you’re suffering from several different symptoms, get creative! For instance, if you’re fighting congestion, a sore throat, and anxiety, you could craft a combination of peppermint and eucalyptus (for cold symptoms) and lavender and orange (for stress or poor mood).
To begin your essential oil bath detox, simply follow these directions:
- Add two to four drops of your single oil or blend to a warm bath.
- Soak in the bath for about 15 to 20 minutes, daily or as needed.
- Rinse yourself with cool water for a few minutes to eliminate toxins and close your pores.
Other natural DIY baths for general detox
For an added bonus, here are a few general DIY home detox baths you can take advantage of:
Ginger Detox: Ginger has a number of healthy properties that can improve your overall health. To prepare your bath, add some grate ginger or ginger powder to the water. Then sprinkle a tsp. of ginger powder or half cup of fresh grated ginger.
Apple Cider Vinegar Detox: Like ginger, ACV provides a number of general health benefits, and is excellent for sweating out toxins. Add one to two cups of raw ACV to treat inflammation and other health issues.
Baking Soda Detox: Including baking soda in your bath delivers a natural detox solution that can help eliminate chlorine. Add two cups of baking soda to your bath, in addition to a cup of epsom salt (the epsom salt isn’t required, but it’s recommended).
Essential Oil Bath Bomb: In addition to a regular aromatherapy oil regimen, you might try a sinus and congestion relief bath bomb.
Seaweed Detox Bomb: Seaweed contains many health properties. For example, this product combines seaweed with peppermint and eucalyptus to release mucus and improve your skin: Seaweed Bath Bomb
Time to get better!
Few activities are as soothing as taking a relaxing bath. We live in a society where we’re quick to pop medications the second we start feeling ill. While very high fevers and other severe ailments may require drugs, most of the time you can use natural home remedies to fight off a cough, congestion, the flu, and other symptoms.
A nice warm bath, combined with the right single oil or blend, delivers a double route into the body. Warmed by water, your skin is more penetrable to the essential oils, which can permeate your bloodstream within a matter of seconds. The end result is a stream of therapeutic benefits.
Before coming to a close, consider a few safety rules for taking one of these healing baths:
- Never stay in the bath for longer than 25 minutes, as it can dry out your skin.
- Don’t take a bath with a full stomach, as it can negatively impact your digestive system.
- If you are using cheaper oils in your bath, dilute them with a carrier oil before adding.
- Use a rolled hand towel or waterproof pillow to support your head, as it will improve relaxation.
- Add in your oils right before you get in. This will prevent the therapeutic benefits from evaporating.
1 thought on “Essential Oil Bath For Congestion, Sinus, and Flu Recipes”
went to a workshop after so many years and would like to get my phd in holistic essences