Itching, sneezing, watery eyes, runny and stuffy nose, and on and on. Over 50 million Americans suffer from some form of allergy throughout the year. Meanwhile, about 25 million Americans suffer from asthma, with more and more people every year.
In this article, we”ll tackle the best doTERRA essential oils for asthma and allergies.
And while there a whole host of allergies prevalent in the world today, we”ll mainly be covering allergy triggers such as tree, pollen, dust mites, and animal dander.
Identifying Asthma and Allergy Symptoms
Sometimes it can be difficult to figure out whether you”ve caught a cold or are simply suffering from a bout of allergies.
While both types of “illness” may cause symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, and stuffy nose, work and daily tasks are much more manageable with allergies. Colds can prompt nausea, muscle pain, and other debilitating symptoms that can put you in bed for days at a time.
To an extent, if you are predisposed to allergies there is no 100% cure-all. That is, if you don”t have any control over the exposure. If you have negative reactions to tree or grass allergens, then if you are going to be around trees or grass, you”re likely going to endure some unfavorable symptoms.
One of the best things you could do is keep your windows closed and reduce face exposure to pollen when you are outside.
The same goes for asthma. If you are predisposed, such inflammation contained in your bronchial tubes will boost the production of sticky secretions – resulting in coughing, chest pressure, and shortness of breath.
All that being said… while you can”t rewind genetics there are steps you can take to ease symptoms of allergies and asthma.
Best doTERRA Oils for Asthma & Allergic Reactions
Among the countless theories that attempt to explain the massive increase in allergies has to do with inflammation – which is the root cause of most diseases. If you”re body is having to deal with a lot of inflammation, any type of allergen can make your body overreact.
Therefore, if inflammation and the immune system were more balanced, allergic reactions could be somewhat normalized.
That”s why doTERRA essential oils can be a big benefit. They have the ability to reduce inflammation while increasing the immune system. Essential oils can help fight bacteria, infections, parasites, all while detoxifying the body.
Which doTERRA oils in particular can help achieve this goal?
Inhaling peppermint oil (by diffusing or direct inhalation) can help clear up your sinuses while relieving itchy throats. Peppermint oil acts as an expectorant, making it a great remedy for allergies, colds, and a range of respiratory illnesses.
It”s ability to reduce inflammation is especially powerful, as it is the leading cause of allergic reactions. And there”s research behind it. For example, a study released in the European Journal of Medical Research concluded that peppermint oil curbed the effects of chronic inflammatory disorders like bronchial asthma and allergic rhinitis.
- Diffuse 3 to 4 drops of doTERRA peppermint oil to treat coughs and stuffy sinuses.
- Take two drops of peppermint internally, by adding to a capsule or drink (water, cup of tea, etc.).
- When ingested, promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing.
Eucalyptus oil is similar to peppermint in that it helps loosen sinus gunk and clear up your lungs. The cold sensation you”ll feel when applying this oil can help boost airflow (much like peppermint does).
Eucalyptus works as an expectorant and has something called citronellal, which contains anti-inflammatory effects. These properties and its ability to clear up the lungs makes it a great remedy for both allergies and asthma.
- Diffuse 3 to 4 drops of doTERRA eucalyptus to clear up your airways.
- Apply topically to your chest, neck, and temples.
- Combine 2 drops with a cup of hot water into a bowl, dip a towel in the solution and inhale deeply.
- Used to cleanse surfaces and the air, Eucalyptus essential oil can help promote feelings of...
Lemon can be a powerful antidote to respiratory symptoms caused by allergies. There have been plenty of studies that reveal lemon”s impact on boosting the immune system and weeding out bacteria.
Drinking lemon water boosts immune function while ridding the body of harmful toxins. By flushing out these toxins, this oil can reduce inflammation and tame an over-reactive immune system.
- Diffuse 4 to 6 drops of lemon essential oil to disinfect your home and purify the air.
- Take 2 drops internally by adding to a vegetable capsule or a glass of water.
- Mix a few drops with water into a spray bottle and apply to pillows, floors, and furniture.
- The cleansing, purifying, and invigorating properties of Lemon make it one of the most versatile...
Lavender is arguably the most commonly used essential oils. Consequently it”s the most widely studied. It is often known for its relaxing and sedative-like qualities, and for asthma it can help fight airway inflammation and ease the problems breathing issues such inflammation spurs on (hence, why it”s a good candidate for helping with asthma) .
After applying lavender oil through inhalation methods, one study found that a significant “increase in airway resistance was inhibited in the” in the tested group over the control group.
- Diffuse 5 drops of lavender to relieve breathing problems and relax your body.
- Take 2 drops in a capsule or drink to fight airway inflammation.
- Lavender is often considered a must-have oil to keep on hand at all times due to its versatile uses,...
5. doTERRA Breathe blend
This excellent respiratory blend can provide immense respiratory support for common allergy and asthma symptoms.
The blend includes the following oils: Peppermint, laurel, eucalyptus, lemon, melaleuca, cardamom, ravintsara, and ravensara.
- Diffuse 4 drops of Breathe to provide sustainable relief.
- Apply a couple drops topically to your chest and neck.
Wait! You can”t take your home diffuser on the go. If you”re looking for a more portable diffusing solution, check out our essential oil jewelry and other cool products.