Just about everyone gets stopped up every once in a while (I know, not the most delicate way to put it). It’s just one of those unfortunate facts of life. There are plenty of over-the-counter medications out there that will help relieve constipation. But what if you could use an all natural home remedy to loosen up your bowels – while at the same time enjoying the fresh, sweet aroma of essential oils?
There are a number of essential oils for constipation in adults that can be applied to help with stomach problems. This method of aromatherapy delivers therapeutic benefits through plant extraction that go well above simply a nicely scented environment.
Common home remedies for constipation consist of drinking liquids like apple juice or prune juice, and they can be effective in relieving bloat and general discomfort. On the other hand, they can also present unfortunate side effects like cramps or an upset stomach. Not to mention, prune juice might not be at the top of your taste list (who knows, maybe it is).
- DigestZen is a wonderful companion to aid in the digestion of food, soothe occasional upset...
Before we dig into the oils, here are a few general guidelines to follow when trying to avoid constipation:
- Hydrate. Drinking plenty of water will help prevent constipation.
- Eat foods that are high in fiber.
- Maintain normal daily routines.
What oils are good for constipation?
There are a number of these all natural solutions to consider. We’ll start with Peppermint essential oil. Here are a few details on using Peppermint in relieving your constipation symptoms:
- Whether using by itself or in combination with others, it is one of the more popular remedies for treating digestive trouble.
- It is the most thoroughly researched oil for controlling natural bloating problems.
- Numerous studies have shown that Peppermint oil is effective in controlling symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- It relaxes digestive muscles and promotes good overall digestive health.
Moving on to Black Pepper oil:
- Believe it or not, that pepper you use to add bold flavor to your food can even be useful in an oil form.
- Derived from – that’s right – pepper, this healthful oil can help curb constipation symptoms while generating a unique, but pleasing aroma.
While these are two of the most highly recommended, there are plenty of other essential oils that can be helpful in relieving constipation. To list off some other options:
Constipation relief by way of essential oil use is a gentle and soothing alternative to the typical medications you would find at Walgreens or a general health foods store. When deciding on which essential oil to use you should also consider what scent you may be most fond of. If the oil has a smell that makes you nauseous – well, you may want to find an alternative.
Please note, if you suffer from chronic constipation, we always recommend you consult a physician.
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and...
How to use aromatherapy for constipation
There are a number of ways to apply aromatherapy. But first, try out any of these methods to see which is most effective for your body.
- Massage oils on tummy. Use your fingertips to massage the oil (depending on the quality, you may need to combine with a carrier) in a clockwise motion onto your skin. Apply minimal pressure to your abdomen.
- Take a warm bath. Put 5 to 10 drops of oil in the water and bathe for at least 15 minutes. This is a great method when using Peppermint.
- Apply to feet. Do this yourself, or even better, have your significant other massage the oils around your heels and ankles. The nice feeling of a foot massage doesn’t hurt!
- Combine with tea. Put a couple drops of oil in a hot mug of tea. Please note: Only use quality food grade essential oils for internal consumption.
- Body Wonders 100 % Pure Ylang Ylang 4 Fl Oz
When using essential oils to treat constipation be sure to use pure grade products for the most powerful results. Sure, you can run to Walgreens and pick up a cheap bottle. Or peruse Amazon for the best possible deal. But if you want maximum results, you can’t skimp out on quality.