While patchouli essential oil is mostly known for its pungent sweet and spicy aroma, it actually boasts an incredible variety of health benefits that have been known for thousands of years. From treating clinical depression to reducing a fever, patchouli oil is a powerful medicine and its effectiveness when it comes to treating numerous health conditions has been well-documented for centuries. Needless to say, patchouli essential oil is much more than just a perfume.
Click Here To Quickly View This Page In One Image!
Patchouli Essential Oil Benefits Infographic
1. Keep Insects Like Mosquitoes and Bed Bugs at a Distance While Smelling Great
Once the summer rolls around, we all pack a bottle of bug spray in our bags to keep insects like mosquitoes and ticks far away. Unfortunately, various studies show that popular commercial bug sprays actually contain harmful chemicals that, when inhaled and absorbed through the skin, can interfere with the body’s nervous system, leading to hormonal imbalances, muscle twitches, vomiting, seizures and more (source).
Plus, most commercial bug sprays cause severe irritation when accidentally sprayed on the eyes. They can also cause intense pain when accidentally sprayed on cuts and scrapes. Needless to say, when it comes to keeping bugs away, it’s best to go for a natural and safe product that doesn’t deliver any unwanted side effects.
Patchouli essential oil has been studied for its effectiveness as an insecticide for decades. In fact, one study compared the insect-repelling abilities of a variety of essential oils and confirmed that patchouli essential oil is especially effective when it comes to keeping away a variety of bugs including mosquitoes, lice, bed bugs and fleas. The study also stated that patchouli oil has successfully been used for centuries around the world as an effective insect repellent (source).
Another scientific study compared the toxicity levels of individual essential oils with ingredients commonly found in commercial bug sprays. According to the study, patchouli essential oil is significantly less toxic than most synthetic ingredients used in commercial bug spray products (source).
In addition to keeping bugs off of your body, patchouli essential oil can also keep bugs out of your home. By spraying patchouli oil diluted in water around your entryways, you can keep common household pests like moths and ants out of your house. Because of the oil’s unique potency, just a few drops will effectively keep away a wide variety of insects (source).
Plus, the oil can also keep insects out of your garden. Common insects that feed on plants will be repelled by the scent of patchouli essential oil. Because the oil is not toxic when ingested, you can spray it on your vegetables without worrying about making them inedible.
The “Bugs Be Gone” Multi-Purpose Spray Method
- Find a 20oz spray bottle that is made of plastic. Make sure that it has been thoroughly cleaned and is completely empty.
- After removing the cap of the bottle with a twisting motion, fill the bottle with water. You may choose to use a funnel in order to make this pouring process easier.
- Remove the patchouli essential oil bottle’s cap with a twisting motion. Put it aside.
- Position the patchouli essential oil bottle upside-down. Hold it directly above the opening of the spray bottle.
- Using an aggressive up-and-down shaking motion, release around 20 drops of patchouli oil into the water that’s in the spray bottle.
- Place the cap of the patchouli essential oil bottle back on by screwing it tightly.
- Place the cap of the spray bottle back on by tightly screwing it onto the bottle’s mouth.
- Mix the water and the patchouli essential oil together by aggressively shaking the 20oz spray bottle for around one minute.
- You may use one or two sprays of this mixture on your body, on your garden and around your home to keep a variety of bugs away.
2. Get Rid of Unsightly Nail Fungus Forever with a Simple Foot Bath
Toenail fungus is a fairly common problem that can affect anyone at any time. Toenail fungus causes the toenails to turn yellow and crack easily. While this annoying condition is often painless, the unsightly appearance of it is enough to make the sufferer feel desperate for a cure.
Many people who suffer from toenail fungus also have athlete’s foot, a fungal infection that affects the areas between the toes. Those who suffer from athlete’s foot experience itchy, dry and flaking skin on their feet.
Most people who suffer from chronic toenail fungus are prescribed anti-fungal pills that kill the fungus after several doses. The problem is that these pills often come with unpleasant side effects such as abdominal pain and severe nausea. Plus, they can be quite expensive (source).
Fortunately, patchouli essential oil is a powerful anti-fungal product that can kill toenail fungus when applied topically to the skin. Because the oil is applied topically instead of taken orally, the sufferer does not have to worry about the unpleasant side effects that are common with oral anti-fungal medications.
Patchouli essential oil works by killing the fungus on the spot and inhibiting the growth of more fungus. By simply soaking your feet in a bath of warm water and patchouli essential oil, you can eliminate the fungal infection safely and effectively (source).
The Fungus-Busting Spray Method for Toenail Fungus
- Purchase a 20oz spray bottle that is made of plastic. Remove the spray bottle’s cap by twisting it.
- Give the plastic spray bottle a thorough rinse under running water to ensure that it is perfectly clean.
- Using a funnel, pour water into the spray bottle, filling it completely.
- Take off the cap of your patchouli essential oil bottle by unscrewing it. Place the cap of the patchouli essential oil bottle aside.
- Hold the patchouli essential oil bottle right over the spray bottle’s mouth. Turn it over so that the patchouli essential oil bottle’s mouth is positioned right above the water in the spray bottle.
- Using a vigorous shaking motion, pour about 20 drops of patchouli essential oil into the water that’s in the spray bottle.
- Return the cap to the bottle of patchouli essential oil. Twist it on tightly.
- Screw on the cap of the spray bottle containing the water and patchouli essential oil. For about one minute, shake the bottle to ensure that the two ingredients are well-combined.
- You may spray this solution onto your toenails three times each day. Be sure to thoroughly spray each toenail so that it is wet but not dripping.
- You may also spray the inside of your shoes with this solution. Toenail fungus can spread to the inside of shoes, causing the shoes to reinfect the toes. One spray in the toe area of each shoe daily is adequate to kill the fungus.
The “Happy Feet” Anti-Fungal Foot Bath Method
- Purchase a basin or a bowl that is large enough to fit both feet. Typically, a basin or bowl that can fit two gallons is adequate.
- Thoroughly clean the basin or bowl with soap and hot water to ensure that it is completely clean.
- Fill the basin or bowl with warm water by placing it in your sink and running the faucet. If the bowl or basin is too large for your sink, you may fill it using a hose or placing it under the faucet in your bathtub. Fill the basin or bowl with water until it is filled about four inches from the top of the bowl.
- Using a twisting motion with your wrist, remove the patchouli essential oil bottle’s cap and place it aside.
- Hold the bottle of patchouli essential oil over the bowl or basin. Turn it so that the bottle’s spout is leaning over the bowl or basin of water.
- Shake the patchouli essential oil bottle vigorously so that about 15 drops are released into the water below.
- Place the bowl or basin containing the water and the patchouli essential oil in front of a comfortable chair or couch.
- Sit down and submerge both feet into the bowl or basin. Keep your feet soaking for about 30 minutes. You may do this once each day until the fungal infection has gone away.
3. Soothe Your Upper Respiratory Tract to Treat Colds and Other Respiratory Illnesses
Upper respiratory infections that result in a sore throat, difficulty swallowing and a persistent cough are the result of inflammation. Whether the infection is viral or bacterial, the upper respiratory system responds by swelling up, leading to pain and irritation (source).
Asthma, a chronic condition affecting the air passages, is also the result of inflammation. Asthma causes the air passages to become so swollen that the sufferer may have difficulty breathing. In severe cases, asthma can lead to death as the sufferer’s air passages become so swollen that no air can get through (source).
Patchouli oil can treat inflammation of the upper respiratory tract thanks to its potent anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, patchouli essential oil’s anti-inflammatory properties are so powerful that one can simply inhale the oil to reduce inflammation of the respiratory tract. By inhaling patchouli oil, its anti-inflammatory chemical compounds will absorb into the tissue of the respiratory tract, providing fast relief (source).
The Ultra-Relaxing Hot Bath Inhalation Method to Soothe a Sore Throat
- Close all of the windows and doors in your bathroom.
- Fill your bathtub with warm or hot water. It’s important that you see steam rise from the water and fill your bathroom.
- As the water is pouring into the tub, twist the cap off of your patchouli essential oil bottle. Angle the patchouli essential oil bottle so that its spout is leaning toward the bathwater.
- With your index finger, tap the side of the patchouli essential oil bottle so that about six or seven drops fall into the water. You should be able to immediately smell the pungent fragrance of patchouli. If ten seconds have passed and you can’t smell the oil, add a few more drops. When you are done pouring the oil into the water, place the cap back onto the patchouli essential oil bottle.
- Once the tub is filled, step into the tub and sit comfortably while your body is submerged in the water. While you’re sitting in the tub, focus on taking long, slow breaths in order to thoroughly inhale the oil.
- Soak in the tub for about 20 minutes. You may do this twice each day.
The “Quick Fix” Topical Application Method for Upper Respiratory Inflammation
- With a twisting motion of your wrist, remove the lid from your patchouli essential oil bottle. Place the lid to the side.
- Turn the bottle of patchouli essential oil so that its spout is directly above your palm. With one finger, hit the side of the bottle of patchouli essential oil so that about three drops fall onto your palm.
- Screw the cap back onto the bottle of patchouli essential oil and set it aside.
- Rub both of your palms together vigorously so that both palms have patchouli essential oil on them.
- Massage the oil into the skin on your upper chest using circular motions. You should massage the undiluted patchouli essential oil into the chest until it has completely absorbed through the skin.
- Take deep breaths in and out to inhale the patchouli essential oil. You may do this several times each day until the inflammation has gone down and you can feel relief from your symptoms.
The Throat-Soothing Oil Diffuser Method for Deep Relief
- Rinse out the tank of an oil diffuser after removing its lid and placing it aside. If you don’t have an oil diffuser, you can purchase one online..
- Place the oil diffuser under your sink’s faucet. Turn the faucet on to fill the tank of the oil diffuser with water. Be careful not to fill the tank past its maximum fill line.
- Place the oil diffuser on a counter.
- Unscrew the cap off of your patchouli essential oil bottle with a twisting motion. Place the cap of the patchouli essential oil bottle aside.
- Hold the bottle of patchouli essential oil in one hand and tilt it so that its mouth is leaning toward the tank of the oil diffuser.
- While the lid is still off of the oil diffuser’s tank, tap the side of the patchouli essential oil bottle with your index finger about four times so that about four or five drops of oil fall into the tank full of water.
- Place the cap back onto the bottle of patchouli essential oil by screwing it tightly.
- Place the lid back onto the oil diffuser.
- Bring the oil diffuser into the room that you will be occupying. Plug it into an outlet.
- Turn the oil diffuser on by pressing the power button. Immediately, you should see a steady stream of vapor leaving the diffuser and you should be able to clearly smell the patchouli essential oil.
- Try to remain in the room while the oil diffuser is emitting scented vapor. While you are in the room, take very deep breaths in order to thoroughly inhale the oil. You may do this a few times each day until the symptoms of inflammation are gone.
4. Get Fast Relief from Constipation for a Happy Digestive Tract
Most people experience constipation from time to time. This uncomfortable condition can result from poor diet, insufficient water intake or even certain oral medications (source).
There are many over-the-counter oral remedies for constipation. The problem is that treating chronic constipation with oral laxatives over a long period of time can lead to physical dependency, causing the sufferer to lose the ability to empty their bowels without the use of medication. Plus, many commercial laxatives relieve constipation by causing the intestines to spasm aggressively. When these laxatives are taken too frequently, they can cause damage to the intestinal tract (source).
One study tested patchouli essential oil’s ability to relieve constipation. The study tested the oil’s effectiveness by massaging it onto cancer patients who suffered from constipation caused by their medications. According to the study, subjects who were massaged with patchouli oil found significant relief from their constipation. Additionally, they found an improvement in their overall quality of life (source).
Patchouli essential oil can be used to treat constipation over a long period of time. It won’t cause dependency issues.
The Bowel-Stimulating Massage Oil Method for Constipation
- Purchase a 20oz plastic bottle that has a twist-off lid. Screw the lid off of the bottle and wash it thoroughly with soap and hot water to ensure that it is completely clean.
- With a small funnel, fill the clean and empty 20oz plastic bottle with a carrier oil. The carrier oil must be thin enough to spread easily onto skin. A good example is olive oil.
- With a twisting motion, remove the cap of your patchouli essential oil bottle and place it to the side.
- Rotate the patchouli essential oil bottle in one hand so that it its spout is facing down. Hold the patchouli essential oil bottle right over the mouth of the plastic bottle containing the carrier oil.
- Shake the bottle of patchouli essential oil up and down so that about 25 drops fall into the carrier oil that’s in the plastic bottle.
- Tightly screw the cap back onto the patchouli essential oil bottle and put it aside.
- With a twisting motion, tightly screw the lid back onto the 20oz plastic bottle containing the two oils.
- Shake the 20oz plastic bottle containing the patchouli essential oil and the carrier oil for about 45 seconds. This will ensure that the oils are completely mixed.
- When you are constipated, unscrew the cap of the bottle containing the two oils. Pour about two tablespoons of the oil mixture into one palm. After putting the oil mixture bottle aside, rub both of your palms together vigorously for about seven seconds.
- Using clockwise circular motions, massage the oil mixture into the skin of your lower abdomen with both of your palms. You can stop massaging the oil once the skin has fully absorbed it.
- You may do this three times each day until you have found relief from constipation.
The Daily Ingestion Method for Easy, Smooth Movements
- Screw off the cap of your patchouli essential oil bottle. Place the cap to the side.
- Grab a regular drinking glass and fill it with water. You may use tap water or filtered water.
- Pick up the bottle of patchouli essential oil in one hand. Position the patchouli essential oil bottle at an angle and lean its spout over the water that’s in the drinking glass.
- With your index finger, lightly hit the side of the patchouli essential oil bottle twice so that two drops fall into the water that’s in the drinking glass.
- Return the cap to the patchouli essential oil bottle by screwing it on tightly. Place the patchouli essential oil bottle aside.
- Using a spoon, stir together the patchouli essential oil and the water for about 15 seconds. Remove the spoon and place it in the sink.
- Drink the entire mixture before you eat breakfast each morning. This mixture will keep you regular and prevent constipation.
5. Keep Skin Looking Ageless, Healthy and Radiant with Patchouli Oil’s Beauty-Enhancing Properties
Every day, there are new commercial skincare products being released onto the market. The skincare industry is worth several billion dollars each year, proving that most people prioritize the appearance of their skin. Unfortunately, many skincare products that you can find in the drugstore do more harm than good. That’s because most of these products are loaded with synthetic preservatives and filler ingredients that can cause skin irritation, dryness and breakouts.
Luckily, patchouli oil can improve the condition and appearance of one’s skin without the risk of side effects caused by exposure to harsh chemicals. Patchouli essential oil has been researched thoroughly for its multiple skin-enhancing properties. This is partly due to its high level of antioxidant activity.
Antioxidants benefit the skin by protecting skin cells from damage caused by free radicals. When free radicals damage healthy skin cells, the complexion loses its radiance as well as its elasticity. The skin needs to maintain its youthful elasticity in order to fight against wrinkles and fine lines. Therefore, antioxidants actually protect the skin from physical signs of aging (source).
One scientific study measured the levels of antioxidant activity among a variety of essential oils. Patchouli oil, as it turns out, possesses a high level of antioxidant activity thanks to its unique chemical compounds (source).
Thanks to both its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, patchouli essential oil is also a great spot treatment for acne. Acne is caused by infected pores that become inflamed, resulting in unsightly pimples. While many over-the-counter acne treatments are available, they often contain harsh ingredients such as alcohol that can cause skin irritation and dryness. Patchouli essential oil, however, is gentle on skin and will kill pimples without causing irritation (source).
Patchouli essential oil also helps fade scars by promoting new, fast skin cell regeneration. By massaging the oil on scars and marks, they will fade at a much faster rate as new, healthy skin cells take the place of the cells that have been damaged (source).
The Miraculous Anti-Aging Topical Application Method for Youthful Skin
- Purchase a 20oz plastic squeeze bottle that has a lid that twists off. Make sure that the bottle is completely clean by washing it out with hot water and soap.
- With a screwing motion, remove the cap from the 20oz plastic squeeze bottle. Place it to the side.
- Take off the patchouli essential oil bottle’s cap by unscrewing it. Place the bottle’s cap to the side.
- Remove the cap off of a bottle of a carrier oil that is thin enough to spread easily on the facial skin. Good carrier oils for the face are sweet almond oil, jojoba oil and olive oil.
- Place a small funnel into the mouth of the empty plastic squeeze bottle.
- Hold the bottle of the carrier oil in one hand and tilt it to the side. Move its spout so that it is leaning directly over the funnel.
- Slowly and carefully pour the carrier oil through the funnel and into the empty 20oz plastic squeeze bottle. Fill it to the top, being careful not to let it overflow.
- Next, pour about 15 drops of patchouli essential oil into the 20oz plastic squeeze bottle. Do this by angling the patchouli essential oil bottle so that its spout is right above the mouth of the plastic squeeze bottle. Then, tap the side of the patchouli essential oil bottle with your finger, allowing one drop to fall out and into the 20oz plastic squeeze bottle at a time.
- Twist the lid back onto the patchouli essential oil bottle. Return the lid to the bottle of carrier oil. Then, screw the lid back onto the 20oz plastic squeeze bottle, ensuring that it’s on tightly.
- Vigorously shake the 20oz squeeze bottle containing the two oils for about 45 seconds. This will ensure that the two oils are evenly mixed.
- Once each day, squeeze about one tablespoon of the oil mixture into the palm of your hand. Then, rub your two palms together to evenly coat each palm with the patchouli essential oil mixture.
- Massage the oil into the skin of your face thoroughly using small, circular motions. Massage the oil into the skin for about 45 seconds until it has been thoroughly absorbed. You may do this once each day.
6. Treat Depression without Relying on Dangerous and Addictive Pharmaceutical Drugs
Patchouli essential oil has been used to treat depression for centuries. When the oil is inhaled, it enters the brain through the nasal passage and stimulates the secretion of hormones that boost one’s mood such as serotonin and dopamine. When these hormones are secreted, they counteract negative thoughts and feelings (source).
In fact, prescription antidepressant drugs that are taken orally trigger the release of the same hormones that are released by simply inhaling patchouli essential oil. However, the safety of these prescription drugs is questionable. For one thing, they can cause severe side effects when combined with certain other medications. Plus, they are far more expensive than simply picking up a bottle of patchouli essential oil (source).
Plus, patchouli essential oil provides instant relief to depression when inhaled. Popular antidepressant drugs may take weeks to activate in the brain.
Prescription antidepressants can also come with some serious side effects when taken alone. Common side effects of popular antidepressant drugs include insomnia, stomach bleeding, skin rashes and severe headaches. However, the inhalation of patchouli essential oil comes with no side effects whatsoever (source).
Interestingly, new studies are finding that depression may be caused by inflammation. When the body is in an inflamed state, a person will feel lethargic and suffer from a low mood. This is the result of cytokines, a group of proteins that cause the body to become inflamed. When the body senses the presence of these proteins, it triggers the brain to reduce its secretion of hormones that are responsible for feelings of high energy and happiness so that the body may rest. Because of its noted anti-inflammatory properties, patchouli essential oil can combat this inflammation when inhaled (source).
The Quick and Natural Mood-Boosting Inhalation Method
- Take off the lid of your oil diffuser and place it nearby. If you don’t have an oil diffuser, you can easily find one online.
- Clean out the tank of your oil diffuser with hot water.
- Place the oil diffuser’s tank directly under your sink’s faucet. Turn the faucet on and fill the tank with water, stopping at the maximum fill line.
- Remove the patchouli essential oil bottle’s cap by unscrewing it. Place it aside.
- Hold the patchouli essential oil bottle over the tank of the oil diffuser. Turn the patchouli essential oil bottle on its side and position its spout over the water in the tank of the oil diffuser.
- Lightly tap the patchouli oil bottle’s side, allowing around four or five drops to fall into the water.
- Return the cap to the bottle of patchouli oil by screwing it tightly. Place the lid back onto the tank of the oil diffuser.
- Place the oil diffuser in a room that you will be occupying. Plug the diffuser into an outlet. Then, turn the diffuser on by pressing the power button. Once you turn it on, you should instantly smell the patchouli and see a steady stream of vapor leaving the tank of the diffuser.
- Sit near the oil diffuser and take long, deep breaths. You may do this multiple times a day.
7. Say Goodbye to Sore Muscles with a Quick Patchouli Oil Massage
Anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly used to reduce muscle pain by reducing inflammation of muscular tissues. When muscular tissues are inflamed, they become swollen and painful. Common anti-inflammatory medications, unfortunately, come with side effects and should not be taken over the course of a long period of time. Abuse of anti-inflammatory drugs can result in ulcers, kidney damage and liver damage.
Interestingly, studies have proven patchouli essential oil’s strong anti-inflammatory abilities when applied topically to the skin. Patchouli oil does not come with the side effects associated with oral anti-inflammatory medications. Plus, because the oil is applied topically instead of ingested, it works much faster as it quickly absorbs through skin tissue and permeates the muscles (source).
The Magical Pain-Relieving Topical Application Method
- Purchase a 20oz plastic bottle that has a twist-off cap. Thoroughly clean the inside of the bottle with hot water and soap.
- Remove the cap from a bottle of a good carrier oil such as olive oil or jojoba oil. Place it aside.
- Twist the cap off of the 20oz plastic bottle. Put it to the side.
- Place a funnel into the empty plastic bottle’s mouth. Tilt the bottle of carrier oil to pour it into the empty plastic bottle. Fill the empty plastic bottle to the top with the carrier oil.
- Unscrew the cap off of the patchouli essential oil bottle. Place the cap to the side.
- Position the patchouli essential oil bottle upside-down and hold it right above the mouth of the plastic bottle containing the carrier oil.
- Shake the patchouli essential oil bottle, allowing around 20 drops to fall into the carrier oil.
- Return the cap to the carrier oil bottle as well as the patchouli essential oil bottle.
- Tightly screw on the 20oz plastic bottle’s cap. Shake the bottle for about 40 seconds so that the two oils mix well.
- When you feel pain, remove the cap of the oil mixture bottle and pour one to two tablespoons of the oil mixture into one palm. Then, rub both palms together for about eight seconds.
- Using small, circular motions, massage this oil mixture directly into the skin of the affected area. Massage for about 30 seconds. You may do this several times a day until the pain has gone away.
8. Achieve Fast Relief from Headaches in a Safe and Highly Effective Way
People who suffer from frequent headaches often have a bottle of anti-inflammatory pills stocked at all times. Unfortunately, taking these pills too frequently can lead to some fairly serious health problems such as kidney dysfunction and bleeding of the stomach.
The good news is that patchouli oil can alleviate headaches caused by inflammation just by applying it topically to the affected area. Its strong anti-inflammatory properties found in its chemical compounds can provide quick relief to headaches by absorbing through the skin and permeating the affected tissue (source).
When someone is suffering from a headache, they want relief as quickly as possible. Oral medications take at least 30 minutes to provide relief because they need to make their way down the digestive tract. However, because patchouli essential oil doesn’t need to be ingested in order to reap its pain-relieving benefits, it works much more quickly.
Patchouli essential oil also has analgesic properties. Analgesic pain-relievers act by inhibiting the brain’s ability to register pain (source).
Patchouli essential oil has also been shown to significantly relieve stress, a common cause of tension headaches (source). Patchouli oil triggers the release of hormones that fight stress and anxiety and promote relaxation and calmness (source).
The Quick and Natural Topical Application Method for Total Headache Relief
- Take off your patchouli essential oil bottle’s cap with a twisting motion. Place the cap to the side.
- Place your palm on the spout of the patchouli essential oil bottle. Then, flip the bottle upside-down with your palm still covering the bottle’s spout.
- While the spout is touching your palm, tap the top of the bottle with your finger so that about four drops release into your palm.
- Place the bottle’s cap back on and place the bottle to the side. Dip your fingertips into the small pool of patchouli essential oil in your palm. Then, rub the fingertips of both of your hands together for about five seconds.
- Using tiny circular motions, massage the patchouli oil into both temples. You should quickly feel your headache dissipate.
9. Improve Your Hair’s Health and Appearance with Sweet-Smelling Patchouli Oil
Patchouli has been used for centuries for its hair-beautifying abilities. In countries like China and Japan, patchouli oil is still used as a product for maintaining beautiful hair. In fact, many commercial hair care products contain patchouli oil because of the numerous ways that it benefits hair’s appearance and health (source).
Patchouli is often used to treat hair loss and stimulate the growth of thick, healthy hair. Part of the oil’s effectiveness when it comes to encouraging hair growth comes from its anti-inflammatory properties. Several studies suggest that hair loss and the slowing down of hair growth is caused by inflammation. An inflamed scalp is often the result of an overproduction of sebum, an oil that is secreted from the pores on the scalp. This oil keeps hair clean and moisturized. However, when too much sebum is being secreted from the scalp, it clogs the pores and results in skin inflammation, blocking the growth of hair strands. By massaging patchouli oil onto the scalp, you can quickly reduce the inflammation caused be excessive sebum production (source).
The oil’s anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties also make is a powerful treatment for dandruff. Dandruff is a skin condition caused by either a fungal infection or inflammation. This embarrassing skin condition causes the skin on the scalp to become dry and flaky, resulting in white specks of dead skin that cover the scalp and fall onto the sufferer’s shoulders (source).
The Scalp Massage Method for Clean, Healthy and Gorgeous Hair
- Pick out a good carrier oil that is thin enough to evenly coat your hair and scalp. Good examples include olive oil and sweet almond oil.
- Remove the cap from the bottle of carrier oil. Pour about one cup of this carrier oil into a small bowl.
- Twist the cap off of your patchouli essential oil bottle. Angle the patchouli oil bottle so that its mouth is leaning toward the bowl. Tap the patchouli oil bottle’s side so that about six drops fall into the water.
- Put the cap back onto the carrier oil bottle. Then, tightly screw the cap back onto the patchouli essential oil bottle.
- With a fork or a small whisk, mix the two oils in the bowl together for about 20 seconds.
- Before you shower, pour the contents of the bowl directly onto your scalp. Massage the oil mixture into your scalp and hair thoroughly, for about 45 seconds.
- Allow the oil mixture to sit on your scalp for 15-20 minutes.
- Step into the shower and rinse the oil out thoroughly under warm running water.
- Shampoo as you normally do to ensure that there is no oil left in your hair.
- You may use this oil treatment every other day for healthy, gorgeous hair.
10. Lose Weight in a Healthy and Natural Way by Reducing Water Retention
Thanks to patchouli essential oil’s diuretic properties, it can actually help you lose weight. Diuretics increase urine flow, encouraging excess water to leave the body. Because water retention can add pounds, patchouli essential oil can actually help you lose weight (source).
Diuretics aid in the prevention of gout as well as kidney stones by reducing the amount of uric acid and salts in the body. Both of these conditions can be excruciatingly painful. Therefore, by ingesting the oil daily and combining it with adequate water intake, you can maintain a healthy urine flow that will cleanse your body and prevent the development of these painful conditions (source).
The Simple Oral Method for Losing Weight and Preventing Kidney Stones
- With a twisting motion, unscrew the patchouli essential oil bottle’s cap off and place it to the side.
- Grab a tall drinking glass and fill it with water. Either tap water or filtered water will work fine.
- Pick up the patchouli essential oil bottle in one hand. Tilt the patchouli oil bottle over the water that’s in the drinking glass, ensuring that the patchouli oil bottle’s mouth is facing the water.
- With your finger, tap the patchouli essential oil bottle so that two or three drops fall into the water.
- Screw the cap back onto the patchouli essential oil bottle.
- With a spoon, stir the oil into the water for about 20 seconds.
- Drink the glass’s contents. You may do this once each day.
11. Reduce a Fever Naturally by Lowering Your Body Temperature
Patchouli essential oil can fight a fever in a variety of ways. For one thing, the oil actually has cooling properties. Therefore, by simply massaging patchouli essential oil onto the body, a person can lower their overall body temperature (source).
Additionally, patchouli oil has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Its infection-fighting properties will safely and naturally eliminate the cause of the fever (source).
The Soothing, Fever-Reducing Topical Application Method
- Thoroughly clean a new 20oz plastic squeeze bottle with hot water and soap.
- Remove the plastic bottle’s lid with a twisting motion. Set the lid aside.
- Select a carrier oil that is spreadable and thin in consistency. A good example of this is olive oil.
- Place a funnel into the spout of the 20oz plastic bottle.
- Remove the lid from the carrier oil bottle and set it aside.
- Lean the bottle of carrier oil to the side, positioning its spout over the funnel. Fill the plastic bottle with the carrier oil.
- Unscrew the lid of the patchouli essential oil bottle and set it aside.
- Pick up the bottle of patchouli oil in one hand and tilt it, leaning its spout over the mouth of the plastic squeeze bottle.
- Tap the side of the patchouli oil bottle, releasing about 20 drops into the plastic squeeze bottle.
- Place the lid back onto the bottle of carrier oil and screw the cap back onto the patchouli essential oil bottle.
- Tightly screw the lid back onto the squeeze bottle. Shake the bottle aggressively for about 45 seconds.
- When you have a fever, squeeze enough of the oil mixture to fill one palm. Then, rub both palms together and massage the oil onto a section of your body. Massage the oil until the skin has fully absorbed it. Continue doing this until your entire body has been massaged with the oil.
12. Fight Body Odor Naturally and Smell Fantastic
The distinctive and pungent scent of patchouli oil can cover up body odor when used as a deodorant. Because the essential oil is especially strong, it can counteract even the strongest of body odors when applied topically to areas of the body that are prone to sweating such as under the arms (source).
13. Slow Down Your Nervous System to Alleviate Stress and Anxiety
Long before there were prescription anti-anxiety medications, patchouli essential oil was used as a remedy for stress and anxiety. Now, science backs up the claims that this oil has significantly positive effects on one’s state of mind.
One study concluded that the inhalation of patchouli essential oil actually slows down the nervous system and lowers the concentration of adrenaline. When a person is experiencing stress or anxiety, their nervous system speeds up and they experience an increase in the flow of adrenaline, resulting in a faster heart rate and rate of breath. When a person is experiencing an anxiety attack, they find that their heart is racing and that it is difficult to breathe. By simply inhaling patchouli oil, their nervous system can return to normal, acting as an instant cure for symptoms of severe anxiety and stress (source).
By inhaling patchouli essential oil, a person can instantly achieve a more calm and peaceful state of mind. This is because of the fact that the oil triggers the secretion of hormones that improve one’s mood. Hormones like dopamine and serotonin have an uplifting and relaxing effect on one’s overall mood, leading to a significant reduction of stress and anxiety (source).
While prescription anxiety medications are available, they can be dangerous. For instance, benzodiazepines are highly addictive and are not meant to be taken over a long period of time. They can also cause serious side effects such as depression, low blood pressure and severe dizziness. On the other hand, patchouli essential oil is a completely safe remedy for anxiety and stress when inhaled.
The DIY Spray Method for Avoiding Body Odor
- Thoroughly clean a 10oz plastic spray bottle with soap and hot water after removing its cap.
- Place the spray bottle under the faucet of your sink. Place a small funnel in the bottle’s mouth.
- Pour water into the spray bottle, filling it to the top.
- Twist the cap off of your patchouli essential oil bottle. Place the cap aside.
- Hold the bottle of patchouli essential oil upside-down over the mouth of the plastic spray bottle.
- Shake the patchouli essential oil bottle so that around 15 drops fall into the water.
- Screw the cap back onto the patchouli essential oil bottle. Screw the cap back onto the spray bottle.
- Shake the spray bottle for around 30 seconds to mix the two ingredients together.
- Spray this oil onto your body once each day to smell fresh.
14. Fight Bad Breath and Improve Your Overall Oral Health
Patchouli essential oil can benefit one’s oral health in a variety of ways. For one thing, the oil’s antiseptic and antibacterial properties make it a powerful germ-killing oral rinse. Because bacteria in the mouth can lead to serious problems like tooth decay and periodontal disease, rinsing daily with patchouli essential oil can help keep away costly, painful and potentially dangerous oral health conditions (source).
Plus, the oil’s strong, sweet scent will mask even the most severe bad breath. One daily rinse with the oil will keep the odors associated with bad breath away all day long. Also, because bad breath is the result of an excess of bacteria in the mouth, the oil’s antibacterial properties will fight the cause of bad breath as well.
15. Smell Incredible with a Natural, Chemical-Free Perfume
The complex aroma of patchouli makes it a very popular perfume. The woodsy, spicy and sweet scent is pleasing to many people. Plus, the oil is extremely potent, meaning that just a couple of drops of the oil will leave you smelling wonderful all day long.
16. Clean Wounds and Prevent Dangerous Infections
Patchouli essential oil’s antiseptic qualities allow it to clean wounds effectively and prevent infections of all kinds. While there is a variety of over-the-counter disinfectants available, many of them contain harsh chemicals like alcohol that sting and cause skin irritation. Patchouli oil can kill bacteria and prevent infections painlessly (source).
17. Improve Your Romantic Life by Stimulating Your Sex Hormones
Since the beginning of time, men and women have been looking for natural ways to treat a variety of sexual problems. From impotency to low libido, patchouli essential oil has been used as a powerful remedy for problems in the bedroom.
Many people will experience a low sex drive at some point during their lifetime. Causes range from certain medications to mood disorders like depression (source).
For centuries, patchouli has been used in India to enhance sexual desire and boost sex drive. The oil is a known aphrodisiac, meaning that it stimulates the secretion of sex hormones that lead to feelings of sexual attraction, intimacy and desire (source). The secretion of these hormones can assist men in achieving an erection as well (source).
18. Clean Your Home with a Fragrant DIY All-Purpose Spray
Patchouli essential oil makes a fantastic household cleaner thanks to both its ability to kill germs and its potent, deodorizing scent. With antiseptic, anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties, this oil will kill a variety of common household germs that can cause diseases as well as bad odors. The oil will also kill mold that can develop in moist places in the bathroom and kitchen. Plus, it will leave your home smelling wonderful.
Patchouli Essential Oil FAQ
What is Patchouli Essential Oil?
Patchouli essential oil comes from patchouli, a bushy herb that belongs to the mint family. The plant bears tiny pink flowers. Patchouli is native to tropical regions in Asia. For centuries, oil derived from the plant’s leaves have been used for its medicinal properties as well as its strong aroma (source).
What are the Uses of Patchouli Essential Oil?
Patchouli essential oil has many known health benefits. The oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-fungal, antidepressant, aphrodisiac, deodorizing, sedating and insect-repelling properties (source).
Additionally, patchouli essential oil is often used for its fragrant aroma. The sweet, woodsy and spicy scent is very powerful and distinctive. For this reason, it is often used in perfumes, incense, beauty products and household cleaning products.
What is the Composition of Patchouli Essential Oil?
The chemical compounds found in patchouli essential oil are b-patchoulene, a-guaiene, caryophyllene, a-patchoulene, seychellene, a-bulnesene, norpatchoulenol, patchouli alcohol and pogostol (source).
How is Patchouli Essential Oil Made?
Patchouli essential oil comes from the dried leaves of the patchouli plant. The leaves are dried by scalding them with steam. Then, the oil is extracted using a steam distillation process. During this process, steam is pushed through the leaves and collected. Then, the oil is separated from the water.
Does Patchouli Essential Oil Work?
Tremendous amounts of research have validated the claims regarding the variety of health benefits provided by patchouli essential oil. Scientific studies have proven its various healing properties.
How is Patchouli Essential Oil Taken?
Patchouli oil is taken by children for a variety of reasons. It is used in spray form for its bug-repelling properties. It can be applied to the skin to treat skin conditions, clean wounds, reduce a fever, soothe inflammation, reduce pain and treat mood disorders.
Adults use patchouli essential oil to treat a variety of conditions. Inhaling the oil can dramatically improve mood disorders such as anxiety and depression while increasing sexual desire. It can also relieve stress. The oil can be applied topically to the skin to reduce pain, reduce a fever, treat skin conditions and soothe inflammation of the respiratory tract.
The oil is also used as a perfume thanks to its sweet, pleasant scent.
Is Patchouli Essential Oil Safe?
It is safe to ingest small quantities of patchouli essential oil. Additionally, it is completely safe to apply the oil topically to the skin, even when undiluted. The oil can also be safely inhaled in any quantity.
What are the Side Effects of Patchouli Essential Oil?
There are no known side effects of patchouli essential oil.
There are no known medical interactions between patchouli essential oil and other medications.
Although patchouli essential is likely safe to be used by pregnant women, there is no known research about its specific effects on pregnant women. Therefore, it may be best to avoid it altogether if you are pregnant.
It is safe for children to use patchouli essential oil.
Ingesting Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli essential oil is likely safe when ingested in small quantities.
Facts About Patchouli Essential Oil
Botanical name: Pogostemon cablin
Common method of extraction: steam distillation
Plant part typically used: leaves
Strength of aroma: strong
Aromatic scent: sweet, woodsy, spicy
Blends well with: ylang ylang, peppermint, frankincense, eucalytpus
Where Can I Buy Patchouli Essential Oil?
Patchouli essential oil is available online. It may also be found in specialty stores and certain grocery stores.
Patchouli Essential Oil Benefits Infographic
Patchouli essential oil has been used for thousands of years thanks to the many benefits that it offers. In addition to treating a tremendous variety of health conditions, patchouli oil also positively impacts mood, increases sexual desire, enhances one’s beauty, keeps bugs away and masks all kinds of terrible odors. Therefore, it’s wise to keep this oil well-stocked at all times.
Have you ever treated a problem with patchouli essential oil? Feel free to let us know by commenting below. If you have friends who are interested in essential oils, share this article with them!