What’s the first thing people do when a scratchy or sore throat begins to surface? Most will head straight to the store to pick up some Robitussin or DayQuil.
And while they only mask the symptoms, it’s hard to argue that such medications do provide relief. However, the unending list of ingredients included on these innocent (and quite marketable) looking bottles are a little unsettling. And, when it comes to relieving a variety of ailments, it’s the reason why essential oils continue to grow in popularity.
In this article, you’ll discover some of our favorite single essential oils and diffuser recipes for cough, sore throat, and other cold-like symptoms.
- Best of the Best brings together 12 of our very best essential oils. If this set competed in the...
Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes For Cold Symptoms
Depending on your cold symptoms, there are a range of essential oils to consider. And, take note, the efficacy of a certain oil can vary from person to person. That’s why it doesn’t hurt to experiment with different recipes.
Another reason it’s important to understand that multiple oils can provide similar benefits is the tolerance factor. Like many traditional drugs, you can actually build a tolerance to a particular essential oil if you use it too frequently.
For instance, if you apply lavender every night for a month to relieve insomnia, it might lose some of its original effectiveness.
For some people just a few drops of peppermint may do the trick. For others, a strategically-crafted blend is necessary (not to mention, more impactful).
But first, here are five oils that can work wonders for cold symptoms when applied on their own:
- Peppermint: Relieves head pain, sore throat, and congestion. Diffuse or massage on chest and behind of the ears.
- Lemon: Detoxifies as an agent for curbing sinus congestion. Diffuse or massage on chest and behind of the ears.
- Eucalyptus: Also a decongestant, helps to ease respiratory issues. Diffuse or massage on chest and behind of the ears.
- Rosemary: While this isn’t a clinical recommendation, rosemary has been known to relieve respiratory disorders like asthma and bronchitis.
- Cypress: Clears up congestion and removes phlegm buildup in the respiratory tract and lungs. It is also known to fight off certain infections.
Now, for the diffuser blends. The following recipes can be run through a standard diffuser or added to a portable diffuser: if you are using essential oil diffuser jewelry, all it takes is one drop per type of oil).
Note: Be sure to check out our lava stone diffuser jewelry after learning about these excellent sore throat-killing recipes!
- 5 LAVA ROCKS - The small diffuser pendant is made of lava rock. Lave stone is a precious stone...
1. Sore throat and cough recipe
- 2 drops of lemon oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of frankincense oil
- 2 drop of clove oil
Take note, there are a number of combinations you can try to relieve a cough or sore throat. For example, you could swap out frankincense for rosemary, swap out clove for basil, etc.
2. Congestion recipe
- 3 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- 1 drop of lemon oil
Same with the Sore Throat and Cough recipe, you can experiment with your own recipes.
- LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL - 4 oz - PREMIUM QUALITY, PURE - Cold pressed lemon oil (Citrus Limon) from the...
3. Sinus Headache recipe
- 2 drops of marjoram oil
- 2 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 drops of rosemary oil
Again, feel free to swap out individual oils to maximize your results.
- IT’S TIME TO KICK BACK AND RELAX: Diffuse a few drops of Marjoram at night and feel a wave of calm...
Bonus: Cold Rollerball “Bomb”
Most likely, you have experience applying oils topically. Maybe even with a rollerball. The great thing about crafting your own rollerball recipe is that you have a portable topical application.
To create your rollerball “bomb,” you’ll need a standard-size glass roller bottle and the oils listed below.
- 12 drops of peppermint
- 12 drops of lavender
- 12 drops of lemon
- 8 drops of eucalyptus
- 8 drops of thyme
- Fill the rest of the rollerball with the carrier oil for your choice (olive, coconut, etc.)
Need some bath bombs, mood rings, or chakra accessories? Or, are you looking for another unique way to apply your oils? Check out our online store for a range of essential oil necklaces and bracelets.