While being pregnant may be one of the most joyous periods of your life, it’s not always the most comfortable. Back problems, nausea, restlessness, and the many morning sickness symptoms, you name it. While the good might outweigh the bad, pregnancy can certainly translate into a significant lifestyle change (of course, it’s only the beginning, but that’s a whole nother story).
Keep in mind the supplements and medications you’re being tempted by may not be the healthiest for you or your baby. But that doesn’t mean you have to be left out in the dark (no pun intended). Indeed, with essential oil sleep aids there are natural ways to ease sleeplessness during pregnancy. First, consider these symptoms that often are associated with being pregnant.
- Mild sleep issues
- Restless legs syndrome
- Back pain or other discomfort
Related: Essential Oils For Morning Sickness
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Good Sleep Blend on the market, in our opinion. If you are not...
Essential oil sleep aides for restlessness & insomnia
The homeopathic remedy we’re going to highlight is the use of aromatherapy – more specifically, the use of essential oils. When it comes to sleep issues and general restlessness, there is a whole list of oils that may help. First, we’ll rattle off some of the most popular solutions:
Not just for sleep issues, lavender is by and large the most popular oil, due to its countless applications. When it comes to mild stress and sleeplessness, in our household we use lavender, vetiver and the Calming Blend.
While we have to be careful about certain claims, there have been scientific studies performed on the efficacy of lavender for sleep. One study in particular concluded with these findings.
- For a week, half of the participants slept in a room where lavender essential oil was diffused.
- The other half of participants slept in a room where a placebo (almond oil) was diffused.
- The two groups switched rooms for a week and by study’s end, the participants affirmed that their quality of sleep was 20 percent better in the room with lavender being diffused.
As Tiffany Field, a scientist at the University of Miami School of Medicine, asserted, the scent of lavender has proven “to slow down heart rate, slow blood pressure and put you in a parasympathetic state, which is a relaxed state.”
- The Best Blends Top 6 contains the following therapeutic essential oils: Breathe, Good Sleep, Head...
Other things to consider
Fighting sleeplessness, pregnant or not, is an arduous task. And the most impactful way to fight those sleepless nights is by implementing a comprehensive plan. This means not only using a natural remedy like essential oils, but adjusting your daily habits. For instance:
- Control your food and drink intake, especially right before bed.
- Reduce lighting and electronic devices, such as cellphones and alarm clocks.
- Keep physical activity to a minimum right before bed.
- Reduce stress on both your body and mind (lavender and essential oil blends like the Calming Blend are great for promoting relaxation).
- Good Night’s sweet aroma is like soft sheets, a weighted blanket and the perfect mattress. And if...