Everything from being a stay-at-home mom to being at work in an office 50 hours a week, mood swings can severely impact our everyday lives. Sometimes we don’t know why they surface; other times, there is a clear reason we can point to. Having mood swings can cause a number of issues, including a lack of motivation, energy, focus, and overall performance. Quite simply, it can put your work, family time, and social life at risk.
There are a number of ways to improve your mood swings – everything from food to exercise to home remedies to prescription drugs. Some provide instant relief, while others can take some time to work. Most people go the medication route; others choose to deal with depression and anxiety naturally without drugs. We can’t say there is a right or wrong way. It’s an individual choice. And it can depend on the severity of the issue.
A quick disclaimer: While we personally (along with many, many others) have found these natural remedies very effective, the information and products we offer on our site are not intended to treat or cure any disease.
- 100% Pure Therapeutic Essential Oils. No fillers, NO Additives, or Carriers Added. A Handpicked...
Ways to improve a bad mood naturally
Before we unveil our favorite home remedy for mood swings, here are a few simple ways to improve your mood without drug medications.
- Exercise: It’s certainly one of the last things you want to do when you’re feeling depressed. But going for a stroll or visiting the gym regularly can reduce symptoms of depression. In fact, some research suggested that workouts can boost your mood for up to a 12-hour period.
- Food: Your diet can have a significant impact on your brain. Countless studies have suggested that certain foods can help curb stress, relieve anxiety, and combat depression. Fruits, vegetables, fish, tea, and yes, chocolate, can be added to your diet to decrease mood swings.
- Alcohol: Substance abuse is common among those who suffer from frequent mood swings. While it may seem to relieve certain symptoms, it can be very damaging down the road.
- Sleep: Your mood and the quality and frequency of your sleep go hand-in-hand. Sleep issues like insomnia and general deprivation can ignite a generally poor mood or even bouts of severe depression.
More than 20 million Americans suffer from some form of mood disorder; and about 40 million have an anxiety disorder. Nearly everyone suffers from the occasional mood swing. So wherever you lie on the spectrum, you’re certainly not alone.
Now on to our most prized home remedy for emotional healing.
- POTENT FLORAL SCENTS: ESSLUX floral collection is specially designed for those who love flower...
Aromatherapy essential oils for mood
Essential oils have been used for centuries by cultures all around the world. It’s a common misconception that the primary focus of essential oils is to simply provide a nice-smelling scent. If you’re using a 100% pure product, they have a whole lot more to offer – including therapeutic benefits that can impact the brain.
Our favorite single oils for helping improve mood are:
- Lavender: Has calming properties that can help enhance sleep and relaxation, while soothing the mind and body.
- Frankincense: One of the most precious essential oils available, it can promote relaxation and a sense of peace, satisfaction, and serenity. It can also help with anxious feelings.
- Ylang ylang: Used extensively in perfumes and aromatherapy, it can help to lessen tension and stress while encouraging a positive outlook on life.
- Orange: With a potent, citrusy scent, it can boost energy while uplifting mood, focus, and concentration.
Each of these oils offer their own specific therapeutic benefits. And they can be even more effective when used in conjunction with each other. For instance, combining lavender and orange can promote an uplifting mindset (orange) and a relaxing sense of well-being (lavender).
Additionally, you can also try essential oil blends which are pre-packaged formulas of oils that intend to address a targeted purpose. For instance, in our store we offer a couple essential oil blends that can specifically help with issues like mood and stress (another disclaimer: Our products are not FDA-approved; therefore we can not make any disease-related claims).