Depression is an infirmity that millions of Americans struggle with on a daily basis. Whether it’s chronic depression or occasional mood swings, there are a number of natural remedies you can take advantage of. Using essential oils for emotional healing is a healthy alternative to improving your mood and breaking free of this disease that debilitates your everyday life.
First, please note that we do not make claims that essential oils can treat depression as a professional medical alternative. It’s always best to consult your doctor before disbanding any antidepressants or other prescription medications you are currently taking.
What essential oils to use for emotional healing
Essential oils have become growing in popularity as more and more people find success with them. That being said, they’re nothing new. They have been used for centuries (as far back as Bible times and before). As society has become more natural-minded, there’s been somewhat of an essential oil “rebirth.”
Before we outline our favorite essential oils for emotional healing, consider some basic information about depression in America:
- A highly common mental disorder, clinical depression impacts about 20 million Americans yearly. Such illnesses include everything from manic depression to more mild forms of depression.
- Mood swings can impact anyone, regardless of age, gender, or ethnic group (this one’s more obvious).
- Emotional illnesses can affect all aspects of a person’s life, and may even spur greater health issues in later years.
The point is, you’re certainly not alone. Whether it’s anxiety or mood swings you’re dealing with, there are ways to get healthy – naturally. Which leads us to, which oils to use for emotional healing…
The best essential oils for improving mood
While there is a torrent of essential oils that can promote a positive mood, here are a few that we especially prefer:
These oils each off their own therapeutic benefits. You can even mix and match some of the oils for more targeted benefits. For instance, you could combine lavender and orange for a calming, but also uplifting mood. Lavender would promote the more calming benefits, while orange would provide the more uplifting benefits.
How to best apply essential oils
Depending on the intended purpose, there are several ways to apply essential oils. Some provide more instant results, while others may provide more moderate, sustained results. For example, when using essential oils for emotional healing:
- Apply topically for immediate results (note: if you have sensitive skin, or if the brand requires it, combine with a carrier oil)
- Run a few drops through a diffuser to encourage a more positive environment in your home or office space. While the results may not be as potent, you can experience more prolonged benefits.
Depending on the person, some oils may be more effective than others. If you’re new to all this, we recommend starting with a few, what we call, “starter oils.” And when it comes to improving your mood, lavender and orange are a great place to start!