Do you have a home garden? Are pests intruding on your crops?
If so, you might be resorting to chemical pesticides. Because what else can you do?
Well, there are organic alternatives to pesticides that are 100 percent natural and perfect for safeguarding your home garden.
The list below contains several natural, non-toxic remedies for warding off those pesky garden-eaters.
Chemical-Free Pesticide Solutions For Gardening
Pesticides are just about the only toxic substances purposely released into the environment to kill off living things – including everything from weeds to fungus to insects and rodents. It’s a common practice used all over the globe.
Pesticides aren’t just used in fields of agriculture. They are used everywhere. Parks, homes, schools, roads, the list goes on. In essence, there aren’t a ton of areas you won’t find these chemicals.
Resulting from their widespread use, pesticides can be found in the water we drink, the food we consume, and the air we breathe.
Well, pesticides can bring on a number of dangers – both short- and long-term. Short-term impacts can range from nausea to headaches. Long-term, chronic impacts can purportedly contribute to endocrine disruption and reproductive damage (some would even argue that pesticides are a cause for cancer).
So there you have the reasons to use organic products for gardening.
Now for our top five organic alternatives to pesticides:
1. Salt Spray
Ideal for mites and cabbage worms, this salt spray concoction is a great organic DIY pesticide. Combine a gallon of warm water with two tablespoons of crystal salt and spray the affected areas.
2. Garlic and Onion Spray
Most pests don’t exactly like potent flavors, such as garlic and onion. Mince one garlic clove and one medium-sized onion (preferably organic, of course), then add to a quart of water. After about 30 minutes add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a tablespoon of liquid soap. Spray the affected areas.
3. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Essential oils are known for a wide range of benefits. Eucalyptus, in particular, is the perfect natural pesticide for bees, wasps, and flies. All you have to do is add a few drops of the oil where the insects are found. It’s one of the greatest detractors for these types of pests.
- HERBACEOUS AND WOODSY - Eucalyptus' strong and aromatic scent makes it a top pick for aromatherapy....
4. Orange Citrus Soap Spray
This organic pesticide is particularly effective for treating against slugs, ants, and cockroaches. Mix three tablespoons of castile soap with one ounce of orange essential oil to a gallon of water. Shake well and then spray directly on the pests.
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT SWEET ORANGE OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart...
5. Tobacco Spray
It’s no secret: Tobacco isn’t great for humans. Neither is it healthy for many pests. In fact, it used to be commonly used in pesticide. Create your own tobacco spray concoction by mixing a cup of organic tobacco into a gallon of water. After 24 hours, the mixture will turn to a lighter brown color. Important note: The spray can be used on most plants with exception to those in the solanaceous family.
Be Proactive With Pest Prevention
As they say, “The best defense is a great offense.”
One of the best ways to avoid using chemical pesticides is to keep the pests away before they even surface. Here are some of the best pest prevention methods:
- Develop healthy soil with mulching and natural composting measures. Dressing your soil with organic fertilizer will help build strong plants.
- Contain the insect habitat by clearing out your garden of weeds and debris, which are breeding grounds for pests.
- Keep your tools disinfected when moving from one area of your garden to another area. This will curb the spread of these little invaders.
- Contain moisture by watering your plants early. Overly-moist foliage stimulates insect damage to your garden.
- Weak plants often get infected by various pests. To detract predators, dispose of the weaker areas of your garden.
- THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OIL SET - Natrogix Nirvana is the ultimate essential oils set, holding...