Many of us suffer from bad digestion. It’s a common problem that millions of people deal with every single day. So what do we do? We resort to the dozens of medications on the market that may or may not work.
Well, believe it or not there are holistic treatments that work quite well for poor digestion. But first, let’s identify the root of the problem. Indigestion generally comes in the form of discomfort or a feeling of fullness during or after eating. It can also come in the form of a burning sensation or some form of pain in the upper stomach. Common symptoms include:
- Gas and burping
- Constant stomach growling
- Abdominal pain
- Acidic taste
- Burning sensation throughout the stomach
- Vomiting and general nausea
Heartburn often accompanies indigestion, as stomach acids rise up into the esophagus. And all of these symptoms can be enhanced during times of heightened stress or depression. These symptoms are often intensified during pregnancy, particularly during that laborious first trimester.
The best essential oils for bad digestion
There are a number of herbal remedies you can try for indigestion. Our favorite, of course, is essential oils. Essential oils can provide a cure, so to speak, for nearly any sort of ailment. And a poor digestive system is no exception.
While there are a number of single oils – peppermint, for one – that work well for dealing with stomach problems, a blend will deliver the greatest impact. Often known as the “tummy tamer,” the Digestive essential oil blend is great for soothing an upset stomach. It’s also quite effective for maintaining general digestive health.
Here is a list of the two symptoms the Digestive Blend addresses, along with the oils that are included in the blend:
- Stomach discomfort, motion sickness and indigestion: Fennel, Ginger, and Coriander.
- Digestion and maintaining a healthy gastrointestinal tract: Anise, Tarragon, Peppermint, and Caraway.
This blend can be applied both internally (in moderation, of course) as well as topically to the abdomen. We’ll get into the specifics shortly. It is best applied when an upset stomach occurs. In short, the Digestive Blend is a healthy, all natural method to ease stomach discomfort while maintaining a healthy digestive system.
A list of its uses
- Apply as soon as heartburn or indigestion occurs.
- Add a couple drops to a beverage (preferably water) before flying or a road trip to curb dizziness and motion sickness symptoms.
- Apply the essential oil blend when trying out new meals to prevent an upset stomach.
- Have it on hand for when you’re indulging in rich holiday meals to prevent poor digestion.
As you can see, this landmark essential oil blend is highly versatile in dealing with poor digestion and general stomach problems. If this is something you struggle with throughout the day, it doesn’t hurt to keep a bottle on hand.
Directions for use
This blend is also quite versatile in its application, as you can apply it internally, topically, or run through a diffuser.
- Internal use: Put one drop of the oil into a 4 oz glass of liquid.
- Diffusion: Mix 3 to 4 drops with water and run through a diffuser.
- Topical: Apply 1 to 2 drops to the area of your body needing attention. To avoid skin sensitivity, you may want to mix with a carrier oil – preferably Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Don’t forget your diet
Before coming to a close, consider these diet and consumption tips for treating a bad digestive system:
- Chew with your mouth closed
- Slow down your eating
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol
- Steer clear of spicy foods
- Resist the temptation of late-night snacking
- Keep track of what you’re eating in a diary to see what may be contributing to your indigestion
In supplementing a strategic dietary plan, use essential oils — preferably a product like the Digestive Blend – to ease your indigestion symptoms both on the go and at home.