With its woodsy and floral aroma, many of us are very familiar with sandalwood essential oil as an additive in perfumes and beauty products. However, many would be surprised by its diverse list of health benefits. From its incredible ability to reduce anxiety to its anti-inflammatory powers, it’s time to learn more about sandalwood essential oil.
1. Treat Headaches Quickly without Taking Drugs
One of the most common types of pain, headaches affect almost every person from time to time. Part of the reason that headaches are so common is because they have a tremendous amount of causes. However, the majority of headaches are caused by inflammation.
Inflammation is caused by the chemicals that are released by white blood cells. When the body senses that an area of the body is in danger of contracting an infection, the immune system sends these white blood cells to the area quickly and in large quantities in order to protect the area. As a result of the presence of these white blood cells, blood flow is increased around the area, causing it to become swollen and extremely tender.
A headache can be caused by inflammation of the sinuses, the muscles lining the skull, the ears or the joints of the jaw. Therefore, an anti-inflammatory remedy is required to bring the inflammation down quickly.
Anti-inflammatory medications are commonly taken when one is suffering from a headache. NSAIDs are over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs that reduce inflammation by ridding the affected area of the chemicals left behind by the presence of white blood cells. When an anti-inflammatory drug begins to take effect, the area reduces in swelling. As a result, pain quickly goes away.
NSAIDs may be easily purchased in a drug store but they are not exactly safe to take whenever you experience the pain associated with a headache. For one thing, research shows that these drugs can damage the lining of the stomach when taken too frequently, when taken in high doses and when taken in combination with alcohol (source).
Additionally, these drugs may cause liver or kidney failure if they are abused. Sadly, a person who is experiencing severe headache pain may abuse these drugs because they are desperate for relief.
The good news is that essential oils are known for their anti-inflammatory properties that give them the ability to reduce inflammation quickly, naturally and without putting the sufferer at risk of dangerous side effects. Sandalwood essential oil in particular has been researched for its potent anti-inflammatory properties. One scientific study evaluated sandalwood essential oil’s effects on inflammation by studying its chemical composition. The study determined that the oil’s anti-inflammatory properties are indeed powerful and can alleviate a variety of inflammatory conditions including headaches (source).
Another study concluded that sandalwood essential oil can alleviate even acute levels of inflammation thanks to its chemical composition. Therefore, it’s safe to say that sandalwood essential oil can get rid of a headache quickly and effectively (source).
The Fast Inhalation Method for Treating Sinus Headaches
- Unscrew your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and set it aside.
- Pick up your sandalwood oil bottle in one hand. Gripping it firmly in your palm, bring it up to your nose.
- Gently position the spout of the sandalwood essential oil bottle directly below one of your nostrils.
- Inhale the sandalwood essential oil by taking long and slow breaths through your nose. As you continue to breathe in the oil, you should feel your sinus congestion dissipate. Continue to breathe in the sandalwood essential oil until the headache disappears. You may do this whenever you have a headache that is caused by sinus congestion.
The Topical Application Method for Treating Tension Headaches
- Place a small bowl onto your kitchen counter.
- Pour one half of a tablespoon of a carrier oil into the bowl with the help of a measuring spoon. You are free to use any carrier oil that you’d like. Examples include castor oil, olive oil and coconut oil.
- Remove your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and put it down nearby. Turn the sandalwood essential oil bottle on its side right above the bowl containing the carrier oil. Then, with your middle or index finger, nudge the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s side a few times so that four drops fall into the carrier oil.
- Use a fork to stir together the carrier oil and the sandalwood essential oil. Stir these two oils together for around 15 seconds.
- Dip a clean and unused cotton ball into the oil mixture. Hold it beneath the oil mixture’s surface for about five seconds so that the cotton ball absorbs a good amount of oil.
- Take the cotton ball out of the oil mixture and press it against one temple for five seconds. Then, press it against the other temple as well as the patch of skin between the eyebrows.
- Do this whenever you have a tension headache. You may do this several times each day.
The Steam Method for Alleviating Stress Headaches
- Go into your bathroom and shut the windows and doors. Check to make sure that the exhaust fan is not turned on.
- Turn the faucet of the bathtub so that hot water begins to pour into the tub. Make sure that the water is hot enough to produce steam but not so hot that it will scald your body when it’s time to get into the tub.
- When the tub is filled about halfway with water, twist off your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s lid and hold the bottle in an upside-down position right above the running water. Violently shake the sandalwood essential oil bottle up and down so that 20 drops fall out into the water. Right away, you should smell the aroma of sandalwood.
- Screw the cap back onto the sandalwood essential oil bottle and place it down.
- Once the tub is filled with water, turn off the faucet and enter the tub. Sit in a comfortable position and concentrate on taking slow, deep breaths. Do this whenever you have a headache that is caused by stress.
2. Ease Muscle and Joint Pain Quickly and without Pills
Speaking of inflammation, sandalwood essential oil’s anti-inflammatory properties can alleviate muscle and joint pain as well. Like headaches, muscle and joint pain is often caused by inflammation. When a muscle or joint is injured as the result of overuse or trauma, white blood cells rush to the area to fight off any potential foreign invaders that can cause the area to become infected. In an attempt to protect the affected area, the area becomes swollen and painful (source).
Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory remedies may treat muscle pain effectively. However, they are not meant to be taken over a long period of time. Muscle and joint injuries can take a long time to heal because of the length of time required to repair joint and muscle tissue. Therefore, it can be dangerous to treat these types of injuries with these drugs.
Plus, oral medications take at least 30 minutes to take effect because they must travel through the digestive tract before they are absorbed into the bloodstream. The benefit of using essential oils to treat inflammation is that they work more quickly because they are applied topically to the skin. When a medicine is applied to the skin, it quickly absorbs through porous skin tissue to penetrate the joint and muscle tissue beneath the skin’s surface.
Using sandalwood essential oil to treat pain offers additional benefits over the use of commercial drugs as well. For one thing, the oil is also a natural sedative that has been proven to reduce stress and anxiety. Because pain can trigger emotional distress, applying the oil topically to the skin in order to reduce inflammation will give the sufferer the added benefit of reducing the stress caused by the pain. Plus, applying sandalwood essential oil to the skin does not put the sufferer at risk of the side effects that are common when taking oral anti-inflammatory medications (source).
The Massage Oil Method for Fast Pain Relief
- Purchase an empty 20oz squeeze bottle with a lid that twists off. Remove its lid and rinse the inside of the bottle a couple of times with hot water to ensure that it’s completely clean.
- Put a small funnel into the 20oz squeeze bottle’s mouth.
- Remove the lid from a bottle of carrier oil. When using this method for pain relief, it’s important to use a carrier oil that is thin enough to spread on the skin easily. Olive oil and jojoba oil work very well for this application.
- Pick up the carrier oil bottle and tilt it in a way that places its spout against the funnel’s rim. Fill the 20oz squeeze bottle completely with the carrier oil.
- Return the lid to the carrier oil bottle and set the bottle aside.
- Unscrew your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and put it down somewhere nearby.
- Firmly gripping the sandalwood essential oil bottle, pour out 30 drops into the 20oz squeeze bottle through the funnel. To do this, flip the sandalwood essential oil bottle vertically and shake it right above the mouth of the funnel. One drop of oil will fall out at a time.
- Screw the cap back onto the sandalwood essential oil bottle.
- Tightly return the lid to the 20oz plastic squeeze bottle. Holding the squeeze bottle firmly, shake it for 50 seconds. This will allow the two oils to mix together.
- When you are experiencing muscle or joint pain, pour about a tablespoon of this oil combination into your hand. After rubbing your hands together, massage the oil mixture for 30 seconds into the affected area.
The Soaking Method for Overall Relief from Pain
- After making sure that the windows and doors of your bathroom are shut and that the exhaust fan is not on, fill your bathtub with very warm water by plugging the drain and turning the faucet. The ideal temperature for your bathwater is hot enough to create steam but not so hot that you can’t sit in it comfortably.
- While the water is still running, remove your sandalwood essential bottle’s lid. Put the lid down and pick up the bottle.
- With your wrist, flip the sandalwood essential oil bottle upside-down. Over the pouring water, shake the sandalwood oil bottle up and down with vigor so that about 25 drops fall into the bathtub.
- Tightly place the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap back on and set the bottle down somewhere.
- Once the tub is filled up with water, turn the faucet off and soak in the tub for at least 30 minutes. You can do this once each day.
3. Treat Inflammatory Skin Conditions for a Healthy Complexion
In addition to pain, inflammation can cause chronic and embarrassing skin conditions as well. Skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema are inflammatory skin conditions that can result from inflammation within the body (source).
Inflammation can take over the body as the result of many different factors. Modern living is conducive to chronic inflammation within the body. Poor diet, chronic stress and excessive alcohol consumption all contribute to inflammation. Even our favorite foods like breads and sweets can cause severe inflammatory responses within the body.
These lifestyle factors inflame our bodies because our immune systems view them as dangerous invaders that put our bodies at risk of infection. As a result, the immune system releases large quantities of white blood cells into the bloodstream. These white blood cells are sent to kill any invaders that may put our bodies in danger. If a person is often exposed to these inflammation-causing lifestyle factors, the body can become chronically inflamed, resulting in autoimmune diseases and symptoms that never seem to go away.
They say that beauty comes from within and that is certainly the case when it comes to inflammation. When the body is inflamed, it ultimately affects the skin, causing conditions like psoriasis and eczema that cause the skin to flake off, itch and become extremely dry.
As an anti-inflammatory agent, sandalwood essential oil can treat these skin conditions quickly and permanently. In fact, one study tested sandalwood essential oil’s effects on psoriasis. Needless to say, the study determined that the essential oil can treat skin conditions caused by inflammation effectively (source).
The Massage Oil Method for Healthy, Glowing Skin
- Buy a 20oz plastic bottle that has a twist-off lid. After taking off its lid, fill it with soap and hot water to clean it thoroughly. Rinse it out a few times to get rid of any soap residue.
- After unscrewing your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap, hold the bottle tightly in one hand and flip it vertically so that the spout of the bottle is facing down. Then, position the sandalwood essential oil bottle right above the plastic bottle’s mouth.
- Shake the sandalwood essential oil bottle so that 25 drops fall into the 20oz plastic bottle. Return the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and set the sandalwood oil bottle aside.
- Put a funnel into the plastic bottle’s opening.
- Twist off a carrier oil bottle’s cap. A good carrier oil for this application has a consistency that is on the thin side. Jojoba oil and sweet almond oil work very well. Any carrier oil that is too thick will potentially clog the pores.
- Fill the plastic 20oz bottle with carrier oil. To accomplish this, hold the carrier oil bottle in your hand and angle it so that the opening of the carrier oil bottle is leaning against the rim of the funnel.
- Put the carrier oil bottle aside after screwing its cap back on.
- Tightly place the lid back onto the plastic 20oz bottle. Shake the plastic bottle for 40 seconds so that the carrier oil and sandalwood essential oil are evenly mixed.
- Each morning after washing your face, twist off the 20oz plastic bottle’s lid and pour about one tablespoon of the sandalwood oil mixture into your palm. Rub your two palms together and massage the sandalwood oil mixture into the skin of your face. Using small circular motions, keep massaging the oil into the skin until it has been fully absorbed. Do this once daily.
The Spot Treatment Method for Getting Rid of Dry Patches and Blemishes
- Place a small bowl on your kitchen counter.
- After removing its cap, pick up a bottle of olive oil in one hand and angle it over a tablespoon. Fill the tablespoon with olive oil and pour the contents of the spoon into the bowl. Repeat this again so that two tablespoons of olive oil are in the bowl.
- Return the cap to the olive oil bottle.
- Twist off a sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap. Pick up the sandalwood oil bottle firmly in your hand and tilt it on its side.
- Lean the sandalwood essential oil’s mouth against the rim of the small bowl. Then, tap the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s side so that five oil droplets fall directly into the olive oil inside of the bowl.
- Twist the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap back on.
- Use a small fork to stir together the sandalwood essential oil and the olive oil. Stir the two oils together for 15 seconds.
- Dip an unused and clean cotton ball into the mixture of oils. Then, dab the mixture directly onto the affected areas, one at a time. You can do this twice a day to alleviate inflammation of the skin.
4. Boost Your Memory to Ace That Test
For centuries, essential oils have been inhaled to produce various effects on the brain. When it comes to improving cognitive function and boosting memory, few essential oils are more effective than sandalwood essential oil. In fact, various studies have proven that sandalwood essential oil improves memory dramatically when inhaled (source).
Many people rely on stimulants when they need to increase alertness and memory function. Stimulants such as caffeine boost memory by increasing the nervous system. By triggering a specific response in the brain, the nervous system responds by increasing heart rate, flow of oxygen and rate of breath. It also increases the flow of adrenaline through the blood. Unfortunately, this method for stimulating brain activity isn’t exactly healthy when done frequently. When adrenaline is pumped through the blood consistently, it can result in adrenal fatigue, a condition in which the adrenal glands become completely exhausted and cause a person to feel fatigued and stressed out on a daily basis.
For this reason, it’s best to use essential oils instead. Because they are inhaled, they trigger an increase in memory function without exhausting various systems within the body.
The Quick Inhalation Method to Boost Your Brainpower
- Right before studying for a test, remove a sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap. Then, bring the sandalwood oil bottle up to your nose. Rest the oil bottle’s spout right beneath one of your nostrils. For one minute, take slow and deep breaths through your nose to inhale the oil.
The Oil Diffuser Method for Improved Cognitive Function
- Remove the lid of your oil diffuser’s tank. If you do not own an oil diffuser, you can find one online that is affordable.
- Pick up the oil diffuser in one hand and place it directly below the faucet of your sink.
- Turn on the faucet so that the tank of the oil diffuser becomes filled with water. Check to make sure that you do not pour water past the tank’s maximum fill line. If you do, simply pour out the excess water.
- Place the oil diffuser on a surface that is in a room you can comfortably relax in for at least an hour.
- Twist off the cap of your sandalwood essential oil bottle. Place its cap to the side.
- Hold the sandalwood essential oil bottle on its side so that the bottle’s mouth is placed against the rim of the oil diffuser’s tank.
- Use one of your fingers to gently nudge the side of the sandalwood essential oil bottle. This will release one drop of oil at a time. Pour five drops of sandalwood essential oil into the water.
- Tightly place the lid of the tank back onto the oil diffuser. Then, place the plug into an outlet.
- Push the oil diffuser’s power button to turn it on. Right away, sandalwood-scented vapor should flow out of the top of the oil diffuser.
- Stay in the room with the oil diffuser for one to two hours, deeply breathing in the vapor. Do this once each morning to boost your cognitive function.
5. Reduce Your Blood Pressure and Live Longer
High blood pressure affects millions of Americans. This fact is unsurprising when one considers the various unhealthy lifestyle factors that are normalized by American culture and are conducive to this condition.
A poor diet that is high in fat and sugar can raise someone’s blood pressure as well as excessive alcohol intake. Other factors that contribute to high blood pressure include smoking, lack of exercise and chronic stress.
High blood pressure can lead to cardiovascular disease if it’s left untreated. Because of the fear of death associated with high blood pressure, sufferers will often happily take prescription blood pressure drugs from their doctors without question. Most prescription blood pressure drugs work by blocking adrenaline in order to allow the heart to beat slower and by relaxing the blood vessels in order to protect the arteries.
Sadly, many blood pressure medications can wreak havoc on a person’s health. In addition to side effects such as dizziness, constipation and depression, blood pressure medications may result in stroke. Because these medications must be taken each day to manage blood pressure levels, the buildup of these medications in the body makes their side effects far more likely.
It’s important to consider a natural remedy for high blood pressure in order to avoid the dangerous side effects associated with this common and chronic condition. In addition to adjusting the lifestyle factors that contribute to high blood pressure, using sandalwood essential oil can also be a useful treatment that does not deliver the risk of side effects that come with popular blood pressure medications.
In one study, sandalwood essential oil was given to rats in order to test its effects on blood pressure. The study found that rats that were given sandalwood essential oil saw a reduction in blood pressure (source).
Another study tested sandalwood essential oil’s ability to lower blood pressure on humans. In the study, sandalwood essential oil was applied to the skin of the subjects. Overall, the subjects’ blood pressure levels reduced (source).
The Inhalation Method for Lowering Your Blood Pressure
- Take the lid off of the tank of an oil diffuser. Place the lid somewhere that is close by.
- Unscrew your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s lid and place the lid down somewhere nearby.
- With the lid off of the oil diffuser, pour six drops of sandalwood essential oil directly into the tank. Do this by turning the sandalwood oil bottle upside-down and lightly shaking it to pour each drop out individually.
- Screw the sandalwood oil bottle’s cap tightly back on. Set the sandalwood oil bottle aside.
- Pick up your oil diffuser in your hand and position it beneath your sink’s faucet. Turn your faucet so that the tank becomes filled with water.
- Firmly place the lid onto the tank of your oil diffuser.
- Move the oil diffuser into a room that is comfortable like your bedroom or living room. Find an outlet and plug the diffuser into the wall.
- Turn on the oil diffuser by pressing its power button. Once you have turned on your oil diffuser, you should smell sandalwood essential oil as a stream of vapor escapes the diffuser.
- Stay in the room with the diffuser for one or two hours. You can do this several times throughout the day if you wish.
6. Get Rid of Congestion with this Natural Expectorant
As a natural expectorant, sandalwood essential oil can relieve congestion by breaking up phlegm and mucus in the sinuses, lungs and bronchial tubes. Various types of infections can result in congestion. When a person is congested, breathing can be difficult and painful inflammation may result (source).
By inhaling sandalwood essential oil, you can reduce congestion almost instantly. The inhalation of the oil works rapidly because the molecules of the chemical compounds within the oil quickly attach themselves to the phlegm and mucus.
The Steam Inhalation Method for Treating Congestion
- Before drawing a bath, close the windows and doors of your bathroom. To ensure that no steam can escape the bathroom, you can place rolled towels against the bottom of each door.
- Once the room is sealed, close the drain of your tub and turn your bathtub’s faucet. Make sure that the water that comes out of the faucet is warm enough to create steam. Right away, you should see steam coming off of the running water. However, don’t let the water be so hot that you can’t sit in it.
- As the water fills the tub, unscrew your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and place the cap down on a nearby surface. Then, hold your sandalwood oil bottle right above the water that’s coming out of the faucet. Turn the sandalwood essential oil bottle upside-down and start shaking it, allowing around 25 drops to escape into the water.
- Screw on the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and put it back where it belongs.
- When your bathtub is filled with water, turn off the faucet. Place your entire body in the tub. Sit in your bathtub for 30 minutes, breathing in the scented steam deeply.
The Topical Application Method for a Clear Respiratory Tract
- Take out a measuring glass that has a spout. Place it on your kitchen counter.
- Fill the measuring glass with one cup of a thin, spreadable carrier oil such as jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. To fill the measuring glass, pick up the carrier oil bottle and tilt it above the measuring glass’ mouth.
- Pour the contents of the measuring glass into a small bowl.
- After removing its cap, pick up your sandalwood essential oil bottle in your hand.
- Hold the sandalwood oil bottle upside-down, ensuring that its mouth is leaning over the carrier oil inside of the bowl.
- Hit the base of the sandalwood essential oil bottle with one finger. Do this several times, counting as 15 drops fall directly into the carrier oil.
- Tightly screw on the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and put the bottle back where it belongs.
- Use a whisk to stir together the sandalwood essential oil and the carrier oil.
- Place a washcloth or a piece of cotton into the bowl containing the two oils. Allow it to sit in the bowl for 20 seconds so that it becomes completely saturated.
- After 20 seconds, remove the cloth from the bowl. Wring it once to get rid of excess oil.
- Place the cloth on your chest. Massage the skin of your chest with the cloth in a clockwise motion for one minute. Take deep breaths as the oil sits on your chest.
7. Calm the Mind without Feeling Drowsy
With one in four Americans suffering from anxiety, it’s safe to assume that millions of Americans rely on anti-anxiety medications to get through each day. These medications work by slowing down the nervous system, sedating a person completely so that they can relax.
Frighteningly, prescription anti-anxiety medications are extremely dangerous. For one thing, they are not meant to be taken for more than about one week. After that, they may become extremely addictive both physically and mentally, putting the sufferer at risk of withdrawal upon cessation. With withdrawal symptoms like seizures and flu-like symptoms, stopping these drugs suddenly is incredibly dangerous.
Additionally, it is very easy to overdose on these drugs. When taken in high doses, they can cause death by slowing down a person’s rate of breath to dangerously low levels (source).
Unfortunately, many doctors are quick to prescribe these drugs instead of educating their patients on natural and safe remedies for anxiety. For example, essential oils have been used for centuries to combat anxiety. Sandalwood essential oil is particularly renowned for its positive effects on those who suffer from anxiety.
In a clinical study, patients were administered sandalwood essential oil through inhalation before receiving palliative care. The study concluded that patients who inhaled sandalwood essential oil before treatment were significantly less anxious than those who did not (source).
Other studies have evaluated sandalwood essential oil’s sedating effects. One study in particular discovered that when applied topically to the skin, sandalwood essential oil made patients feel calm, relaxed and tranquil without feeling tired and drowsy. While many essential oils are known for their relaxation-inducing properties, they also make the subject feel drowsy. However, sandalwood essential oil can relax a person’s mind while allowing them to maintain their state of awareness, mental energy and cognitive function (source).
The Fast-Acting Inhalation Technique for Anxiety Attacks
- Remove your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap. Place the bottle’s cap on a nearby surface so that you don’t lose it.
- Pick up the sandalwood essential oil bottle in your hand and lift it so that its mouth is sitting right underneath one nostril. Hold it there as you take deep breaths through your nose. Continue to take long, deep breaths until you feel calm once again.
The Calming Inhalation Method for Deep Relaxation
- If you do not already own one, purchase an oil diffuser. You can find an affordable one in many specialty shops as well as online retailers.
- Place your oil diffuser on a surface that is close to a sink. Take off its lid.
- Remove your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap. Then, hold the oil bottle in your hand at an angle. Lower the sandalwood essential oil bottle so that its top is facing the tank of the oil diffuser.
- While tilting the sandalwood essential oil bottle, tap its side with your finger five times. About five drops should pour out into the tank of the oil diffuser.
- Screw on the cap of the sandalwood essential oil bottle.
- Pick up the diffuser and hold it right below the spout of your sink’s faucet. Turn the water on, filling the diffuser’s tank with water. Once the water is level with the maximum fill line, shut off your faucet and put the lid back onto the tank tightly.
- Move your oil diffuser into a room that you can comfortably rest in for at least one full hour. A bedroom or a living room will work fine.
- Place the diffuser on a surface and plug it into an outlet. Turn the diffuser on. At once, sandalwood-scented vapor should come out of the oil diffuser’s spout.
- Sit near the oil diffuser so that you can inhale as much of the sandalwood essential oil as possible. Try to remain in the room with the diffuser until the diffuser has run out of water. Do this whenever you feel anxious or stressed out.
8. Protect Your Body Against Dangerous Viruses
It can be difficult to treat a viral infection. While bacterial infections are treated with antibacterial drugs that kill a variety of bacteria at once, treating viral infections is a challenge because of the tremendous variety of strains and mutations.
One effective treatment for a variety of viruses, however, is sandalwood essential oil. In fact, one study proved that the antiviral activity of sandalwood essential oil can treat the herpes virus (source).
The Oral Ingestion Method for Keeping Viruses at Bay
- Fill a drinking glass that can hold 12 ounces of liquid with water. You can use either filtered water or tap water from your sink.
- Take off your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and hold it upside-down in one hand. Move the bottle so that it is hanging right above the mouth of the drinking glass.
- With one of your index fingers, gently hit the base of the sandalwood essential oil bottle so that three drops fall out into the water inside of the drinking glass.
- Put the cap back on the sandalwood essential oil bottle and screw it so that it is on tightly.
- With a whisk or a spoon, stir together the water and the sandalwood essential oil for 15 seconds.
- Drink the contents of the glass. Do this once each day to keep viruses away.
The Inhalation Method for a Healthy Respiratory Tract
- Place a small mixing bowl on your kitchen counter.
- Remove the lid from a bottle containing a carrier oil. For this application, select a carrier oil that spreads easily on the skin. A carrier oil with a thinner consistency such as jojoba oil, sweet almond oil or olive oil will work fine.
- Lift the carrier oil bottle and tilt it so that its spout is leaning over a measuring glass that can contain up to one cup of liquid.
- Fill the measuring glass with the carrier oil. Then, return the carrier oil bottle’s cap and set the bottle off to the side.
- Pour the cup of oil inside of the measuring glass into the mixing bowl.
- Take off your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s lid by unscrewing it. Put the bottle’s lid down on a nearby surface.
- Holding the sandalwood essential oil bottle at an angle, shake it gently to release 12 drops into the carrier oil inside of the mixing bowl.
- Use a fork to mix together the two oils for 20 seconds.
- Dip all ten fingertips into the oil mixture. Then, use your fingertips to massage the oil into the skin of your chest in small circles. Keep massaging the oil mixture into the skin until it has been completely absorbed. Do this three times each day to treat a respiratory virus.
9. Keep Your Skin Looking Youthful with Antioxidants
Antioxidants help the skin maintain its healthy glow by protecting each skin cell against the damage caused by free radicals. As we age, free radicals invade the body and damage healthy cells, causing them to age prematurely and die off. Antioxidants protect the cells against free radicals by preventing the oxidization of cells that makes them prone to this type of damage.
Many essential oils are loaded with antioxidants. Sandalwood essential oil especially has been studied extensively for its antioxidant properties. By applying sandalwood essential oil to your skin, you can protect it against cell damage that leads to premature aging. As a result, the skin will look healthy, young and radiant (source).
The Oil Method for Glowing Skin
- Take out a measuring cup that can contain up to one half of a cup of liquid. Place it on a surface such as a kitchen counter.
- Place a small bowl on the same surface.
- Remove the lid of a carrier oil bottle that has a non-sticky consistency. Coconut oil and olive oil are good examples.
- Pick up the bottle of carrier oil in one hand and the measuring cup in the other. Tilt the carrier oil bottle to pour the oil into the measuring cup. Fill the measuring cup with half a cup of carrier oil.
- Pour the contents of the measuring cup into the bowl.
- Take off the sandalwood essential oil bottle’s lid by twisting it. Then, holding the sandalwood oil bottle in your hand, angle it so that its top is leaning over the small bowl.
- Gently shake the essential oil bottle from side to side so that one drop of oil pours out at a time. Pour ten drops of sandalwood essential oil into the small bowl.
- Run a washcloth under hot water for 20 seconds. You may use the water from your sink’s faucet.
- After 20 seconds, turn the water off and squeeze the washcloth so that it’s not dripping with water.
- Place the washcloth into the bowl containing the carrier oil and the sandalwood essential oil. Allow it to sit in the oil mixture for 20 seconds.
- Lift the washcloth out of the oil mixture and wring it until oil is not dripping off of it.
- Lay the washcloth over your face. It should feel warm against your skin. With the washcloth covering your face, press on different parts of your face with your hands to ensure that the oil touches every inch of your facial skin.
- Allow the washcloth to sit on your face for five minutes before removing it. Do not rinse the oil off of your face.
10. Treat Cuts and Scrapes to Keep Infections Away
Cuts and scrapes are certainly not fun. Children especially are prone to cuts and scrapes. A parent’s worst fear is that a cut or scrape will become infected with bacteria and cause their child to become seriously ill.
Every parent knows how much children hate when it’s time to disinfect their latest wound. The stinging sensation caused by alcohol-based disinfectants can be intensely painful for a young child. As a result, parents dread having to treat the wounds of their precious children.
The good news is that sandalwood essential oil has powerful antiseptic properties, giving it the ability to clean and disinfect wounds without causing pain (source).
The Quick and Easy Disinfecting Method for Wounds
- Twist off your sandalwood essential oil bottle’s cap and put the cap on a nearby surface to avoid misplacing it.
- Over a small bowl, hold the sandalwood essential oil bottle upside-down. Then, with a gentle up-and-down motion, shake the oil bottle to release four oil droplets into the bowl.
- Measure out a teaspoon of a carrier oil such as castor oil or olive oil. Pour the carrier oil into the bowl containing the sandalwood essential oil.
- For ten seconds, stir together the two oils.
- Dip a q-tip that has not been used into the oil combination. Let it sit in the oil combination for a few seconds to ensure that its cotton is completely saturated with oil.
- Remove the q-tip from the oil combination and quickly dab it onto the affected area. Press it firmly against the affected area for ten seconds. Do this twice daily until the wound has healed.
11. Smell Great with this Natural Deodorant
For centuries, sandalwood essential oil has been used as a way of masking body odors thanks to its strong and pleasant aroma. Its earthy and slightly floral fragrance makes it a fantastic deodorant that can be used today in place of commercial deodorant products (source).
Commercial deodorants often contain aluminum, a substance that can cause serious damage to the body when it is absorbed through the skin. Because most people use deodorant on a daily basis, the amount of aluminum that gets absorbed into the bloodstream is alarming. By using essential oils, you can avoid body odor safely and naturally.
The Spray Method for Eliminating Body Odor
- After twisting off its nozzle, rinse out an empty 10oz spray bottle with hot water.
- While firmly gripping its mouth, position the bottle directly under the faucet of your sink and fill the bottle to the top with water.
- After removing its cap, hold your sandalwood essential oil bottle upside-down right above the spray bottle’s mouth. Begin shaking the essential oil bottle up and down to release 20 drops of sandalwood essential oil into the water inside of the spray bottle.
- Firmly screw the spray nozzle back onto the bottle and pick the bottle up. Shake it vigorously for around 30 seconds.
- Spray this sandalwood essential oil solution on your body after showering.
Sandalwood Essential Oil FAQ
What is Sandalwood Essential Oil?
Sandalwood essential oil is the essential oil extracted from the chips and billets of a variety of trees belonging to the sandalwood species. Most commonly, sandalwood essential oil comes from Indian sandalwood or Australian sandalwood. However, sandalwood essential oil may also come from sandalwood trees that are grown in Pakistan, Indonesia, Hawaii, Nepal or Bangladesh (source).
What are the Uses of Sandalwood Essential Oil?
Sandalwood essential oil is known for its wide variety of uses. The oil is a very popular ingredient in soaps, skincare products and perfumes. Additionally, sandalwood essential has been used in religious ceremonies for centuries.
Sandalwood essential oil’s health benefits are numerous. The oil has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-anxiety and antioxidant and expectorant properties. Sandalwood essential oil can also lower blood pressure and improve the skin.
What is the Composition of Sandalwood Essential Oil?
The exact chemical composition of sandalwood essential oil depends on which member of the sandalwood species is used to produce the essential oil. However, sandalwood typically is composed mainly of tricyclic α-santalol and β-Santalol.
How is Sandalwood Essential Oil Made?
Sandalwood essential oil is typically extracted using the solvent extraction process. First, parts of the wood are soaked in water for a long period of time. Then, the essential oil is separated from the water and bottled in the form of sandalwood essential oil.
Does Sandalwood Essential Oil Work?
It has been proven by science that sandalwood essential oil effectively treats a tremendous variety of health conditions. Thanks to the chemical compounds within sandalwood essential oil, it contains several healing properties which have been proven to cure many different ailments.
How is Sandalwood Essential Oil Taken?
Sandalwood essential oil can be used on children to treat wounds, break up congestion, treat various infections and work as a sedative. Because of sandalwood essential oil’s anti-inflammatory properties, it can be used as a pain reliever as well.
Sandalwood essential oil is used by adults to treat viruses, clean wounds and remove congestion within the respiratory tract. The oil also has powerful sedative properties and can boost memory, alertness and cognitive function.
Sandalwood essential oil can help maintain youthful skin thanks to its antioxidant properties. For this reason, many adults use the oil in skincare products.
Sandalwood essential oil is also a perfume that can mask bad odors with its pleasing woody and floral scent.
Is Sandalwood Essential Oil Safe?
It is safe to use sandalwood essential oil the skin and to inhale the oil through the nose or mouth. It is likely safe to ingest sandalwood essential oil in small quantities when diluted in a carrier oil.
What are the Side Effects of Sandalwood Essential Oil?
Some people may be allergic to sandalwood essential oil. If an allergic reaction occurs, stop using sandalwood essential oil immediately.
When ingested, high doses of sandalwood essential oil may be poisonous.
There are no known interactions between sandalwood essential oil and other medications.
It is likely safe for pregnant women to inhale sandalwood essential oil and apply it topically to the skin. It may be safe to ingest in small quantities but not enough research has been performed to confirm this.
It is safe for children to inhale sandalwood essential oil. It is also safe for children to apply sandalwood essential oil topically to the skin when diluted in a carrier oil. It is probably safe for children to ingest sandalwood essential oil in small quantities when diluted in liquid.
Ingesting Sandalwood Essential Oil
It is likely safe to ingest sandalwood essential oil in small quantities when it is diluted in a liquid.
Facts About Sandalwood Essential Oil
Botanical name: Santalum album
Common method of extraction: solvent extraction
Plant part typically used: billets and chips
Color: clear or light yellow
Strength of aroma: medium
Aromatic scent: woodsy, floral
Blends well with: cedarwood, rosemary, frankincense
Where Can I Buy Sandalwood Essential Oil?
Sandalwood essential oil can be found online. It may also be available in some grocery stores and specialty shops.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Benefits Infographic
From its ability to kill the herpes virus to its incredible skin-enhancing qualities, sandalwood essential oil is full of benefits that can keep you and your family healthy. Plus, the amazing aroma of sandalwood is incredibly pleasing and can make your body and home smell wonderful.
Do you use sandalwood essential oil for its medicinal purposes? Tell us about it in the comments below. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family!