Let’s face it, we live in a cosmetic-driven world. And while society may not always “be right,” yellow teeth often causes embarrassment. Put simply, whiter teeth is a cosmetic craving so many of us desire. In fact, as Americans we fork over $1.4 billion dollars every year for over the counter teeth whitening treatments. That’s not a small industry.
Bleach, whitening strips, paint-on gels, brightening toothpaste – and on and on. Most of these over the counter products are riddled with harmful chemicals. And to think, you are putting them directly into your system. So we’re going to offer some natural alternatives, options that are both effective and healthy for your body.
Everything from mild to more extreme, consider these home remedies to whiten yellow teeth in a natural, healthy way. While it’s difficult to slap on the “work instantly” label, many of these home treatments will provide results quickly – not just in weeks, but possibly even days.
Why do your teeth get yellow?
In order to get your teeth white, and keep them that way, it’s good to know how they get yellow in the first place. There, of course, are a number of factors that go into it, including:
- Genetics. Some people are simply more disposed to getting yellow teeth than others.
- Certain drinks, like dark sodas, can have a significant impact on the color of your teeth.
- Certain foods can break down the enamel on your teeth, uncovering a yellow coloring underneath.
- Smoking and other tobacco use, of course, can stain your teeth severely.
- Medications such as antihistamines, antipsychotics, high blood pressure drugs as well as tetracycline and other antibiotics are known to cause tooth discoloration.
With that being said, there are a number of preventative measures you can take to keep your teeth bright and shining white. The traditional modes of treatment include over the counter whitening products, in-office whitening agents you can purchase from a dentist, and in-office teeth whitening treatments.
But did you know, there are all natural treatment options that will not only whiten your teeth but do so in a healthy, non-toxic way?
3 organic teeth whitening treatments
These home remedies intend to whiten your teeth that have already lost some of their white enamel.
1. Baking Soda: You may have already heard about this one. It’s mildly abrasive. And it can be effective by simply brushing your teeth with about the same amount you would put on your toothbrush.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: This is particularly effective in eliminating coffee and nicotine-stained teeth. A couple drawbacks about using apple cider vinegar, though, are the taste is often not desirable and you have to be diligent about consistently treating throughout the month.
3. Strawberries: I cannot personally vouch for this one, but I’ve seen it suggested on multiple websites. Plus, Tyra Banks claims she uses it on her show (true, but I’m being a little facetious, considering it’s highly doubtful that she doesn’t use bleach). Anyhow, there are people who seem to have found success by using strawberries as whitening agents.
Our favorite teeth whitening recipe
Naturally, using essential oils to whiten your teeth is our preferred method. It’s what we use in our household. It’s natural. It’s tasteful. And it’s healthy for treating both your teeth and gums. There are a few different oils you can try out, each serving their own purpose.
- Peppermint: Some studies have shown that peppermint is highly impactful for killing off anaerobic bacteria, which thrives in low-oxygen environments – like the mouth.This type of bacteria is what can prompt gum disease.
- Lemon: Working as an antiseptic, lemon oil can both strengthen your gums and assist in whitening yellow teeth.
- Cinnamon: Long used for its numerous medicinal properties, cinnamon oil is antifungal and antibacterial. It is known to be effective at killing off the bacterias that cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Clove: Having been used in Chinese medicine for centuries, clove prevents many pathogenic bacteria. It can be used to disinfect root canals, due to its powerful germicidal properties.
To maximize your teeth whitening treatments (and doing so organically), using a blend of essential oils can be extremely effective. Essential oils offer a natural, fluoride-free toothpaste that keeps your teeth and gums healthy, while helping to whiten yellow teeth. Our Protective Blend toothpaste contains some of the oils we outlined above, including:
- Wild Orange
This product offers protective benefits to help strengthen teeth, freshen breath, reduce developing plaque, and whiten yellow teeth with polishing agents.