Rosehip essential oil is one of the original beauty products that has enhanced the skin and hair since ancient Egyptian times. It continues to be a popular skincare ingredient to this day because of its anti-aging abilities as well as its deeply hydrating qualities. Rosehip essential oil also contains a high level of vitamin C and is frequently used to treat a variety of health problems.
1. Beat the Physical Signs of Aging While Smelling Amazing
Rosehip essential oil is a very popular treatment for wrinkles and fine lines on the face. A study shows that the topical application of rosehip essential oil to the face significantly reduces the appearance of crow’s feet wrinkles, boosts skin elasticity and improves the longevity of healthy skin cells (source).
The oil’s anti-aging abilities come from its high volume of omega-3 and omega-6n fatty acids which protect the structure of skin cells as the skin ages. These acids also encourage a faster cell turnover rate, eliminating dead skin cells and leaving the skin looking young and rejuvenated (source).
Rosehip essential oil also contains a high level of antioxidants that help keep skin looking young as the body ages. As we age, free radicals enter our body and deprive our cells of oxygen, causing dryness and wrinkles. Antioxidants destroy these free radicals, keeping cells young and healthy (source).
The Beauty-Enhancing Oil Method for Daily Use
- Find a clean and empty 10oz plastic bottle that has a lid. Remove the lid from the bottle.
- Fill the bottle with a carrier oil that has a thin and spreadable consistency. Examples are jojoba oil, olive oil and sweet almond oil. Feel free to use a small funnel to make pouring easier.
- Remove the cap from a bottle of pure rosehip essential oil.
- Position the bottle of rosehip oil upside down, allowing the spout of the bottle to face the mouth of the plastic bottle containing the carrier oil.
- Shake the bottle of rosehip oil, allowing about 40 drops to fall into the carrier oil.
- Tightly place the lid back onto the plastic bottle.
- Shake the bottle vigorously for about 40 seconds.
- Each day, pour about one tablespoon of this oil mixture into one palm.
- Rub your palms together so that both palms are covered in oil.
- Massage this oil into your skin using circular motions. Keep massaging the oil until it has been absorbed completely into the skin.
2. Fade Scars Fast without the Questionable Chemicals
Rosehip essential oil contains essential fatty acids that fade scars and stretch marks. Fatty acids like linoleic acid and oleic acid encourage growth of healthy skin cells while eradicating damaged cells that contain scar tissue (source).
These fatty acids also contain enzymes that have anti-inflammatory properties, eliminating swelling and redness associated with recent scar tissue (source).
Rosehip essential oil also contains trans-retinoic acid that comes from vitamin A. This powerful acid kills dead skin cells that exist on the top surface of the skin, revealing healthier skin underneath. Because scars exist on the top layer of the skin, this acid is highly effective when it comes to eliminating their appearance.
In a study, rosehip essential oil was applied topically to 180 patients who had burn scars. Through daily application of the oil, the scars faded quickly and skin tone returned to normal (source).
The Daily Massage Method for Flawless Skin
- Remove the lid from a clean and empty 10oz plastic bottle.
- Fill this bottle with a carrier oil that has a thin, easily spreadable consistency such as olive oil or avocado oil. A funnel will make pouring easier.
- Twist the cap off of a bottle of rosehip essential oil.
- Place the bottle of rosehip essential oil upside down so that its spout is directly above the mouth of the plastic bottle containing the carrier oil.
- Shake the bottle of rosehip essential oil, allowing about 50 drops of oil to release into the carrier oil.
- Tightly place the lid back onto the plastic bottle and shake it with vigor for about 50 seconds.
- On a daily basis, pour about one tablespoon of this oil into one palm. Rub both of your palms together so that they are evenly covered in the oil.
- Massage this oil into your scar using a small, circular motion. Continue this massaging motion until the skin has completely absorbed the oil.
3. Stop Cancer Dead in its Tracks for a Long, Healthy Life
Extensive studies have been performed to prove the link between the use of rosehip essential oil and the treatment of various cancers. One study shows that the ingestion of rosehip essential oil is capable of killing cancer cells and preventing their multiplication. The study concludes that its cancer-fighting abilities are most likely the result of the oil’s antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties (source).
Antioxidants effectively prevent the development of cancer cells by blocking free radicals from damaging healthy cells. By taking antioxidants regularly, you can prevent free radicals from harming your body.
Another study demonstrated that certain fruit extracts that contain high levels of vitamin C, such as rosehip essential oil, will inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells because of their high levels of antioxidants (source).
The Cancer-Fighting Tonic Method for Daily Use
- Fill a tall drinking glass with water.
- Remove the cap from a bottle of rosehip essential oil.
- Place the bottle at an angle so that its spout is facing the mouth of the glass of water.
- Gently tap the side of the bottle with your finger, allowing two drops of the oil to fall into the water.
- With a spoon, stir the mixture for about 15 seconds.
- Drink the full glass of water. You may do this each day.
4. Give Your Immune System a Serious Boost to Keep the Doctor Away
A study proved that rose hip essential oil can significantly boost the immune system’s ability to fight off infections. This is attributed to the high vitamin C content that exists in the oil (source).
The immune system depends on vitamin C in order to function properly. Vitamin C allows the immune system to fight off infections by supplying phagocytes and t-cells with much-needed nutrition. Vitamin C can prevent infections and also decrease the duration of infections that exist within the body (source).
The Daily Disease-Fighting Tonic Method
- Pour water into a large drinking glass, filling it to the top.
- Twist off the cap of a bottle of rosehip essential oil.
- Position the bottle at an angle so that the spout is leaning toward the mouth of the drinking glass.
- Using your finger, lightly tap the side of the bottle, releasing two drops of the oil into the water.
- Stir the water and oil mixture for about 15 seconds.
- Drink the entire glass of water. You may do this on a daily basis.
5. Say Goodbye to Respiratory Troubles and Breathe Easily Again
Because of its amazing amount of vitamin C, rosehip essential oil can fight off various respiratory infections including the flu and the common cold (source).
According to a study, regular vitamin C intake can reduce the chance of contracting a respiratory infection like the common cold by between 45 to 91 percent and can prevent pneumonia by between 80 to 100 percent (source).
The Easy, Vitamin-Packed Oral Method for Daily Use
- Each day, fill a large drinking glass with water.
- Twist the cap off of a bottle of rosehip oil.
- Place the bottle of rosehip oil at an angle so that the top of the bottle is leaning toward the mouth of the glass of water.
- Using your finger, gently tap the side of the bottle of rosehip oil so that two drops of the oil are released into the water.
- Stir the water and oil mixture for about 15 seconds with a spoon.
- Drink the entire glass of water.
6. Experience Healthier Hair than Ever Before and Smell Fantastic
Rosehip essential oil is known for its hydrating abilities and can therefore hydrate dry hair. Dry hair is a common beauty complaint that can be caused by exposure to drying chemicals in hair care products, overexposure to heat and poor diet.
Plus, the antioxidants in rosehip essential oil will restore hair follicles and leave the scalp feeling healthy (source).
Add Rosehip Oil to Your Conditioner for Hair that Shines
- Remove the lid from your favorite bottle of conditioner.
- Remove the cap from a bottle of rosehip essential oil.
- Place the rosehip oil bottle upside down and position it directly over the mouth of the bottle of hair conditioner.
- Shake the bottle of rosehip oil, allowing about 20 drops to fall into the conditioner.
- Screw the lid tightly back onto the bottle of conditioner.
- Shake the bottle of conditioner for about 30 seconds to allow the oil to mix evenly throughout.
- Apply the conditioner to your hair as you normally do.
7. Manage Life-Threatening Diabetes in a Totally Healthy, Natural Way
Some studies show that rosehip essential oil regulates the levels of sugar in the body and can therefore help treat people who suffer from diabetes. By keeping the blood sugar levels regulated, dangerous spikes in blood sugar can be prevented (source).
A study has also shown that regular intake of rose hips can reduce levels of fat in the abdomen that can lead to type 2 diabetes. When the body carries excess fat, its ability to use insulin in order to control blood sugar levels is compromised (source).
The Potentially Life-Saving Daily Tonic Method
- Fill a tall drinking glass with water.
- Unscrew the cap off of a bottle of rosehip essential oil.
- Tilt the bottle of rosehip oil at an angle so that the spout of the bottle is facing the mouth of the drinking glass.
- Lightly tap the side of the bottle of rosehip oil with your finger, releasing two drops of the oil into the water.
- Stir the oil into the water with a spoon for about 15 seconds.
- Drink the glass of water entirely. You may do this daily.
8. Kiss Embarrassing Dandruff Goodbye While You Nourish Your Hair
Thanks to rosehip essential oil’s hydrating abilities, it can be used as a way to treat dandruff. A common dermatological condition, dandruff is caused by irritation of the skin on the scalp. This skin becomes irritated as the result of dryness and exposure to harsh chemicals that are found in many commercial hair care products. Dandruff results in dry flaky patches of skin that shed and fall onto the shoulders, causing much embarrassment to sufferers.
The No-Mess Spray Method to Get Rid of Dandruff for Good
- Remove the lid from a 20oz spray bottle that is empty and clean.
- Using a small funnel, pour two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into the bottle.
- Remove the cap from a bottle of rosehip essential oil. Place the oil bottle in an upside down position directly above the mouth of the spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle of rosehip oil so that about 30 drops fall into the spray bottle.
- Fill the spray bottle to the top with water.
- Tightly screw the lid back onto the spray bottle and shake the bottle for about 50 seconds.
- Spray this solution all over your scalp after each time you wash your hair.
9. Treat Constipation Safely and Gently for Fast Relief
Rosehip essential oil can relieve constipation thanks to its pectin content as well as the acids that exist in the rose hip fruit. It works as a gentle laxative by stimulating the bowels and loosening up hardened stools that are stuck in the digestive tract (source).
The pectin in rosehip essential oil also encourages urination and allows the body to rid itself of toxins through the urinary tract.
The “Quick Relief” Oral Method
- Fill a tall drinking glass with water.
- Remove the cap from a bottle of rosehip oil.
- Tilt the bottle so that its top is leaning toward the mouth of the glass of water.
- With your finger, tap the side of the rosehip oil bottle gently so that three drops of oil fall into the water.
- Stir the water with a spoon for about 15 seconds.
- Drink the full glass of water. You may do this whenever you need to stimulate the bowels or urinary tract.
10. Treat Painful Sunburns While Feeding Your Skin Nutrients
Rosehip essential oil is capable of restoring skin that has been damaged by the sun. Its antioxidant properties as well as its high level of fatty acids encourage new cell regeneration, healing the skin quickly while reducing the appearance of sunburn.
The Massage Oil Method for Instant Relief
- Twist off the lid of an empty and clean 10oz plastic bottle.
- Fill the bottle with a carrier oil that has a thin consistency. Examples are olive oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil.
- Take the cap off of a bottle of rosehip oil.
- Position the rosehip oil bottle upside down so that its top is directly above the mouth of the plastic bottle.
- Lightly shake the bottle of rosehip oil, releasing about 40 drops of the oil into the carrier oil bottle.
- Screw the lid back onto the plastic bottle tightly and shake it virgorously for about 45 seconds.
- Pour one to two tablespoons of this oil into your palm, depending on the size of the sunburn. Then, rub your palms together so that they are evenly covered in the oil.
- Using circular motions, massage the oil into the sunburn. Massage the oil until the skin has fully absorbed it.
11. Reduce Dangerous Cholesterol with the Power of Antioxidants
A study has determined that rosehip essential oil can lower levels of cholesterol in the body which in turn reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. This is because of the oil’s high level of antioxidants (source).
The “Healthy Heart” Daily Oral Method
- Every morning, fill a large drinking glass with water.
- Take the cap off of your bottle of rosehip essential oil.
- Position the bottle at an angle so that its spout is facing the mouth of the drinking glass.
- Tap the side of the bottle with your finger, releasing two drops of the oil into the water.
- With a spoon, stir the water and oil together for about 15 seconds.
- Drink the glass of water in its entirety.
12. Improve Circulation for Healthy Blood Flow
Rosehip essential oil can improve blood circulation when applied topically (source). Additionally, it contains high levels of iron which can reduce anemia and increase the amount of red blood cells throughout the body when ingested (source).
The Blood-Boosting Massage Oil Method
- Find a 10oz plastic bottle that has a lid and is empty and clean.
- Fill this bottle with a carrier oil that is known for its thin, spreadable consistency. Examples include sesame oil and olive oil.
- Twist the cap off of your bottle of rosehip essential oil.
- Place the rosehip oil bottle in an upside down position directly over the mouth of the plastic bottle.
- Shake the bottle of rosehip essential oil to release about 50 drops into the carrier oil.
- Tightly place the lid back onto the bottle containing the two oils. Shake this bottle vigorously for about one minute.
- Pour about two tablespoons of the oil mixture into your palm and rub both palms together.
- Massage the oil using circular motions into the areas that need a boost in circulation. Continue massaging the oil until the skin has completely absorbed it. You may do this twice each day.
FAQ About Rosehip Essential Oil
What is rose hip?
Rose hips are the fruits of the rose plant that are typically harvested during the late summer and early autumn months. They are frequently used as a flavoring agent, adding a floral note to teas and jams. Because of the fruit’s extremely high vitamin C content, it boasts unique nutritional value. Most frequently, rose hips are cultivated in order to produce rosehip essential oil (source).
Uses of Rosehip Essential Oil
Rosehip essential oil is most commonly found in skincare and hair care products like anti-aging creams, dandruff shampoos and skin moisturizers. Rosehip oil contains numerous chemical compounds that benefit the skin, hair and nails.
The oil also serves many healing purposes as well. Rosehip essential oil can heal problems related to the digestive system, the immune system and the circulatory system.
Composition of Rosehip Essential Oil
Rosehip essential oil contains a high level of fatty acids including oleic, linoleic and linolenic acids. It also contains iron and vitamin C. Additionally, rosehip essential oil contains ascorbic acid, carotenoids and flavonoids which are known antioxidants (source).
How to Make Rosehip Essential Oil
Rosehip essential oil is cold-pressed. The bulb of the rose hip is dried and then steam is pushed through it in order to separate its oils. The steam is separated and winterized (source).
Does Rosehip Essential Work?
Rosehip essential oil has been proven to be an effective skincare treatment because of its anti-aging and deeply hydrating properties. Studies have also proven rosehip essential oil’s effectiveness in the treatment of various health conditions including respiratory infections, diabetes and circulatory problems.
How to Take It
Rosehip essential oil is most commonly applied topically. It is used to treat skin conditions, benefit the hair, improve circulation and fade the appearance of scars, stretch marks and burns. It can be applied directly to the skin. However, people frequently add rosehip essential oil to a carrier oil so that it may spread more easily as its consistency is very thin.
Rosehip essential oil is also frequently ingested. It must be diluted in order to avoid side effects. When ingested, it can boost the function of the immune system, act as a diuretic and a laxative and even prevent the spread of cancer cells.
Some people choose to inhale rosehip essential oil for its aromatherapeutic benefits. Because of its pleasant aroma, some people use it as a perfume, applying the oil directly to the skin. Other people choose to pour the oil into a hot bath as the steam enhances its aroma.
Another way to inhale rosehip essential oil is to add it to an oil diffuser. This device can sit on any surface in your home and provide a steady stream of scented steam. To use an oil diffuser for aromatherapeutic purposes, simply fill the diffuser with water and pour several drops of the oil in. When the device is turned on, it will release steam into the air.
Rosehip essential oil is often used on children as a way to fade scars and heal sunburns.
Rosehip essential oil is used by adults to treat a variety of conditions. Because of its unique anti-aging benefits, rosehip essential oil is often applied directly to the skin. The oil is also used to treat certain conditions like respiratory infections and constipation.
Is Rosehip Essential Oil Safe?
Rosehip essential oil is safe when used topically and when it is inhaled. When it is diluted, it is safe to ingest.
Side Effects of Rosehip Essential Oil
Rosehip essential oil can be poisonous if it is ingested in a large quantity. If you have ingested rosehip essential oil and are experiencing nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness or confusion, seek medical help immediately.
Rosehip essential oil may slow blood clotting. When taken in high doses, the vitamin C in rosehip essential oil may cause the kidneys to develop stones (source).
The vitamin C in rosehip essential oil may increase the absorption of aluminum that is found in various medications (source).
Because of limited studies on the subject, it is recommended that pregnant women do not use rosehip essential oil.
The topical application of rosehip essential oil is safe for babies and children.
Rosehip Essential Oil Facts
Botanical name: Rosa canina
Common method of extraction: steam distillation, cold-pressed
Plant part typically used: fruit
Color: gold, orange or red
Consistency: very thin
Strength of aroma: medium
Aromatic scent: lightly floral
Blends well with: geranium, orange, lemon
Where can I buy Rosehip Essential Oil?
Many beauty retailers carry rosehip essential oil. Additionally, online retailers sell rosehip essential oil.
Rosehip Essential Oil Benefits Infographic
For centuries, rosehip essential oil has been a staple of beauty and health. It’s an incredibly nutrient-rich oil that can beautify the skin and hair, boost the immune system and treat multiple illnesses.
Feel free to let us know in the comments how you like to use rosehip essential oil. If you liked the information that we have shared, please share this article with your friends